We'll Fly Home, You And I

Chapter 39

::Hannah's POV::

"Hello?" I almost dropped the phone at the sound of his voice. I got up from the kitchen table, motioning for Bert to follow me, and went into his room. "Hello?" he repeated.

"Hi, D-ddad." There was a very long pause, at which I sat down on the carpet and leaned up against Bert, who had sat down also.

"Hannah, where are you?" he said sternly and faster than normal. He sounded frantic. I didn't want to do this to him again.

::Gerard's POV::

"I'm with Bert." No. No, this wasn't supposed to happen. How could this happen? How could I let this happen? Please. Please, I can't take this anymore. I don't want to do this.

"Why? What did I do?" I felt defeated. Mikey sat down next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder as Frank leaned against my legs on the floor.

"You didn't do anything! It's just. . . really hard for me right now. And I feel like I'm dragging you down, and being in that bus was making me sick both physically an mentally-"

"I could have sent you up to Jersey with Mom!"

"But I wanted to be with Bert." My heart dropped. She wanted to be with him. He deserves no such attention after all of the things he has done to me. She probably didn't realize that not only had she chosen Bert over her own grandmother, she chose Bert over me. And the rest of us.

"I want you to come back." My voice was quiet and small. A muscle in my chin jumped as I thought of the fact that she was not here with us. Ever since I met her, Hannah has been the reason that I've kept going. That I've waken up in the morning. Before, it was to be in this band, but now I am a father. She gave me comfort knowing that I had someone that wasn't genetically connected to me or someone that I had known for five years that cared about me. She looked up to me. She respected me. And now, here I am. Alone again. No daughter. No more contentment.

"I will. But not. . ." She didn't finish. That scared me more than anything. How long is she going to stay there? Three days? Three weeks? Three years?

"You're birthday is coming up," I remembered. She'd be turning fourteen. October 17.

"I know."

"Will you come back for it?"

"I don't know." I looked frightened over to Mikey. He gave me a reassuring nod. I didn't want to do this. I don’t want to let her go.

"You're not giving her up to him," he said, reading my mind the way only he could. "She just won't be with us for awhile. Hannah is still your daughter. You still are her authority." I pressed the phone against my chest to muffle our conversation.

"And I want her back here where I'm positive that she'll be safe. Hannah's already had a rough life as it is. I don't want it to go back to that."

"It won't. Trust me. Trust Ber-"

"I am not trusting him ever again."

"Well you're gonna have to." He was right, but I would never admit it. Mikey was always knew how to deal with these kinds of situations. I glanced down at the phone and put it back to my ear.

"Let me talk to Bert." I looked down at Frank who had started to poke at my knee with his thumb. I felt like Frank was my kid too sometimes.

"Hello?"

"I still don't like you," I said right off the bat.

"Gerard, please, let it go. I made a mistake. You made a mistake. We both changed. Why can't you accept that?"

"Because you haven't. After what you did to Hannah that got us into this mess and brought us to where we are right now, do you honestly think that I can say with a straight face that you've changed? I don’t think so."

"I don't want to be on bad terms with you. I truly care about Hannah. I'm not stealing her from you. She will return to you after I've settled everything." Settled everything? Settle what? And what gave him the idea that he was the one that helped her? That's my job. And Mikey's. And everyone else's, but not his.

"If she comes back with even one hair out of place, don't think that I will hesitate to shoot you. Prison doesn't scare me."

"But you know what they do to guys like u-"

"NO. Do NOT bring that up."

"But it's our song!"

"Goodbye Bert. Take care of my daughter."

::Bert's POV::

I hung up the phone and looked down at Hannah.

"So? Am I staying?"

"Even if he said no." She flashed her angelic smile at me and pulled me closer to her, kissing me lightly on the lips. I leaned more into it, making it a little rougher, but she pulled back. "Sorry. Habit."

"It's alright. As long as it doesn't lead to anything." She smirked and pushed herself onto me and kissed up and down my stubble covered jaw. I pressed my hand on the small of her back and just sat there as she gave me her sweet kisses. I still was unable to get over the fact of how innocent she looked. She was a dream. She pulled back again. "I heard you wrote a song about me."

"For you," I corrected.

"Oh, excuse me. For me." I grinned.

"I'm guessing you want to hear it?"

"You guessed correctly." I kissed her softly on the nose.

"Stare here. I'll be right back." She nodded. I got up and left the room. "Jeph!"

"Whaaat?!"

"Go get your bass. We're playing a song for Hannah."

"Can I play too?" Quinn asked. I don't see why not.

"Sure." I grabbed my sheet music off of the mini grand piano in the living room and headed back to my room. Quinn and Jeph followed suit and plugged in their guitars to the amps I had in my room. I sat down at my keyboard and turned it on.

"This song is called, 'Smother Me'."