Status: Indefinite hiatus.

Life and Limb

Here's To The Past

It seemed as though the universe was hard at work making sure Marie was as uncomfortable as possible within the ensuing weeks. Everywhere she went, Tom Riddle was there around a corner or at a table.

There were a few times where she was able to quickly avoid him in the hall or at the Slytherin dining table. At first she tried to make her avoidance techniques look normal; if she saw him walking towards her in the hallway, she'd quickly turn on her heel and run the other way, pretending she forgot her schoolbooks. Eventually, though, she stopped caring if other people knew she was avoiding Tom. She just ran.

Tom, of course, was taking all of this with a smile on his face. He knew what Marie was doing and, she feared, he knew it was all a waste of her time. Maybe he was right. Maybe their meeting this year was fate deciding to intervene once again. Maybe they were meant to see each other, to be acquaintances, maybe even friends.

But how could Marie befriend someone who got her expelled?

The more time she spent away from Tom, the more she thought about her past. She tried reconnecting the events in her mind, sorting them out one by one.

First there was her re-Sorting ceremony where Dippet had accused her of the accident that happened her first year. Again, Marie's mind had become so strong a thing that she barely even remembered what the accident was in the first place. Did she break something? Insult someone? Get into a fight? She was unsure and that made her worry. It must've been something really bad for her to completely forget all about it.

And then there was the fear that the accident was connected to Tom.

In fact, it was more of a certainty now.

Tom had said he was the one who got her expelled. Dippet had said it was because of the accident in her first year that she was expelled. Ergo, Tom caused the accident that got her expelled. A + B = C.

Marie lay awake in her bed in the Slytherin dormitory, thinking everything over. It was nearly two in the morning but she had trouble sleeping. She still had Tom on her mind. Ever since he had told her that horrible information three weeks ago-

With a gasp, Marie bolted up in bed.

Professor Dumbledore was back.

---


Luck seemed to be on Marie's side for once, because she didn't run into any teachers while she ran through the castle to get to Dumbledore's office. She was still in her white nightgown but she had slipped on a pair of black boots and was thumping through the hallways like a maniac. Her hair was a mess and she was out of breath by the time she reached the double wooden doors, but she didn't care. She wanted answers.

Before Marie could even lift a finger, the door opened.

Professor Dumbledore was there in all his yellow pajama'd glory. He had a matching yellow nightcap on his head and his half moon glasses were sitting at the tip of his nose as he looked down at Marie. His orange hair clashed violently with the yellow clothes; he looked like the sun.

"Miss Fugazi. I had been expecting you, though not quite at this late hour," Dumbledore commented. His voice, though tired, was still kind and amused.

"I'm sorry Professor. I had to see you as soon as possible," Marie explained.

Dumbledore stepped aside and motioned for Marie to enter. She had barely taken two steps into his office when he said, "You're here to ask about Tom Riddle and the connection he has with your expulsion."

Marie, aghast, turned to look at him. "Y-Yes. How did you-?"

"Tom beat you here. He came yesterday."

Her face flushed red. "Tom was here?"

"Oh yes. He wanted to see me about a bad Herbology test grade and then mentioned that he and you were having a little spat. I didn't know you two were friends."

"We're not."

"Oh?" Dumbledore raised an eyebrow. "I was under the impression he was your official tour guide."

"Not anymore." Marie sighed and crossed her arms. "He told me that he was the one who got me expelled."

"Ah." Dumbledore nodded knowingly and crossed the room. It was large and full of random knick-knacks on the shelves as well as the large wooden desk that occupied one corner of the room. In the center was a gold carpet surrounded by four cozy looking red chairs. A large window on one wall allowed the room to be bathed in moonlight, thus cancelling out the need for candles.

Dumbledore sat in one of the chairs and motioned for Marie to do the same. He talked while she walked the length of the room: "Yes, I'm not really surprised he told you. Tom was always one for a show."

Marie sat down. "He just wanted to brag about it? He didn't really do anything?"

"Oh no, he did," Dumbledore explained. "But when I heard you were returning to Hogwarts, I made Tom promise not to torment you with the information. Perhaps I should have known better. Tom never was one to respect authority."

"I respect you, sir."

"Thank you, Miss Fugazi."

"But there's something I'd very much like to know." At this, Dumbledore leaned back in his seat and cocked an eyebrow. Marie took a deep breath, bracing herself for his rejection. "I want to know what I did in my first year. What Tom claims he was responsible for."

"You want to know exactly why you were expelled," Dumbledore clarified.

"Yes, sir. I was trying to remember but I can't-"

"You wouldn't have been able to." Dumbledore sighed sadly and rubbed his temples with his fingertips. "We put a Memory Charm on you."

"What?" This was news to Marie, but it explained a lot. "You did?"

"It was Professor Dippet's idea. He didn't see why you should be forced to live with your guilt while you were shipped off to Beauxbatons. He wiped parts of your memory and sent you off."

Marie's mouth was dry. "Can you undo the charm?"

Dumbledore started at that, his glasses practically falling off. "What? Why would you want that?"

"Because I'm sick of not knowing anything. I'm sick of having to find out from other people, particularly someone like Tom Riddle. Please sir," her voice dropped low, "I'm begging you."

He sighed and sat in thought for a moment. Marie watched him and waited. For a moment she thought he was going to say no, but then he rolled up his pajama sleeves and produced his wand.

"Your memories and your past shall be your own once again," Dumbledore murmured as he stood up. He didn't sound too happy with the decision he made, but Marie believed it was for her own good anyway.

He raised his wand: "Gorgio!"

A white blast of air hit Marie in the face, but instead of being knocked down by it, it felt soothing and cool. And then, suddenly, the rush of memories hit her so hard that she cried out in pain and clutched her head.

Dumbledore was at her side in an instant. "Marie!" He used her first name. "Marie, are you all right?" He wrapped one arm around her shoulders as she rocked back and forth.

Tears streaked down Marie's cheeks as one by one, she went through each of her lost memories.

"It...it was..." Marie gulped. "It was Charlotte Grace. She was in my year...Ravenclaw..."

"Yes." Dumbledore's face was contorted in pain, as if he could feel what Marie was going through.

"I...Tom and I...we killed her..."

"Yes..."

"...trying to make a Horcrux."
♠ ♠ ♠
And now you know.
Leave feedback please. Not just "update soon!"
I'd like your real thoughts.

Also, if you're a huge HP fan and you're extremely anal about the timeline and sequence of events - I'm sorry, but I don't wanna hear it. I don't care if Tom's first Horcrux was his sixth or seventh year, or when he first learned about them from Slughorn (which, by the way, was the first time he knew EVERYTHING about them. So for all you know, he could've heard rumors about them way beforehand). This was his first attempt at making one. And it fits with the storyline. So please, and with all due respect, back off.