Sequel: Inbetween

Shock Factor

So, who phoned?

“Hello?” Nickey tried to contain her excitement, was it the man from the radio?

“Hey its Shaun, this is my work number. Can I bail this week’s Daddy Daughter Day?”
Nickey’s heart dropped. It wasn’t the radio; it was her ex boyfriend and father of her child. She agreed and hung up. Alex turned back to the radio; a man named Steve had been called.

She didn’t let Zekkia know she was disappointed, instead telling her that Saturday would be a special Mummy Daughter Day and that they would go out. Alex gave her a sandwich, and she was happy.

That afternoon was a quiet one. Only three people came in and Alex hung around talking to Zekkia.

On Saturday, Nickey took Zekkia out like she’d promised, and they went to the coffee shop and had ice cream sundaes.

“Hey Zee-Zee, do you want another ice cream?” She asked, knowing the answer would be no, even though it was a junior sized sundae.

“Umm, no thanks mummy, I can’t eat anymore.” The small girl flicked the spoon. “Are we doing this next week?”

“No Zee-Zee, you’re back to Daddy Daughter Day next week.” Nickey smiled, “But you got me all week, we’ll have a Mummy Daughter Day on Sundays!”

“After Daddy Daughter Day?”

“Yep.”

On the Wednesday, Shaun turned up at the shop, at the quiet time just before closing. Zekkia ran to hug him; Nickey just stood there. It was awkward but the small girl didn’t notice.

He had a request, as theirs was a separation undecided by courts it could go anyway. What he wanted was for Zekkia to stay at his on Saturday night, and to have two Daddy Daughter Days.

After all, he reasoned, it would give her chance to get blind drunk at the Green Day at Central and get back late. Plus she could deal with the hangover on Sunday as well.

It sounded like a good plan to Nickey, so she agreed, promising her daughter a special present, although the promise of a Mummy Daughter Day was fading, and she did miss her daddy.

On Friday evening, Nickey went through her favourite clothes, making sure she had the coolest stuff planned. She wanted to be noticeable from the stage, which meant looking good and being in the mosh pit.

Just because she couldn’t win a backstage pass, she wasn’t going to give up her ideas of meeting Tré Cool again! It would be awesome if he remembered a one night stand…

She walked down to the shop, where Alex was just closing up. Holding two identical tops in different colours, she asked her best friends opinion.

“I’ve decided which top, but I don’t know whether I want to wear the pink one or the green one?” Alex looked, and then pointed, “I was thinking green, great minds think alike!”

She had been about to turn around and put the tee shirts back in her room, when the door opened, a last minute customer.

She turned to see who it was; a couple of kids had been banned from her shop for scaring Zekkia. It wasn’t them; it was three full grown men.

Alex was surprised to see them and Nickey was surprised to see them. They knew who they were, alright! One of them walked straight up to the counter and the other two stood by the racks, lazily.

“Hey, I take it you’re the infamous Stix?” She blushed, “I knew it! I sure as hell remember you, but even I wouldn’t have thought she was you!” He gestured to Alex, who was still staring. He was right, Nickey was tall, thin and white, and Alex was short, plump and mixed race.

He signalled to the taller of his two friends. “Mike spilled coffee on his shirt, and he took it off and he’s cold. Could you pick him a tee shirt?”

It was true. Mike stood, shivering and bare-chested. Alex was staring the most at him. He winked at her and she blushed. Nickey raised her eyebrow at the man she was talking to, and he sighed.

“Okay, okay. I lied. I accidentally spilled coffee on Mike, and I saw this shop out the window and told him not to get another shirt coz I wanted to get one for him here. Okay by you?”

Shocked, she ran past them all to the door, and stared into the street. “You’re on the tour bus? And you saw my shop and recognised my name?”

“Did I, or did I not say I wouldn’t forget you? Jeez, what does it take to be taken seriously?” Tré Cool laughed and pointed to Billie Joe, “He said you’d think I’d forgotten you like some groupie!”