Sequel: Inbetween

Shock Factor

Green Day in Central

On Saturday, Shaun picked up Zekkia, and Nickey and Alex got ready to go to central. Alex was bubbling over with excitement, and Nickey was showing off by keeping her cool. Tré had given them backstage passes; Nickey would rather be in the mosh pit during the show, however, so they were rolling round early.

They grabbed their bags and passes, and got in Nickey’s car. She’d paid out for a personalised number plate, reading ST1X. Everyone sighed, but they loved it really.

Her driving skills, however, left a lot to be desired today. It could have been the excitement of meeting Tré again, of having backstage passes, or of being able to get rat-arsed tonight… Or it could be that she and Alex were singing loudly along to Green Days songs on shuffle. All twelve albums. Volume thirty, when it only went up to thirty five.

(Twelve: 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, Dookie, Insomniac, Kerplunk, Warning, American Idiot, Nimrod, Shenanigans, Bullet In A Bible, and International Superhits being the ones out now, and then the two I’ve mentioned in this story)

She knocked over her own wheelie bin, and scared the shit out of two pedestrians. Thank God she knew them, and a wave and a smile got her off the hook this time. They pulled into a nearby car park with a bunch of other mosh pit locals.

Both of them flashed their passes at the security, and explained they were going to go to the mosh pit for the show. He didn’t argue. Well, you wouldn’t argue with two backstage passes, personally signed by Tré Cool.

Alex just enjoyed the show. That was the thing about Alex; she always lost herself in the moment. It didn’t matter to her that she’d met Green Day, it didn’t matter they were going backstage after the show, it didn’t even matter that Billie Joe recognised her. All that mattered was it was a good show and she had all the fun in the world.

Nickey, on the other hand, was a different story. She enjoyed the show, of course, and relished the thrill of the mosh pit. But she did manage to catch not only Tré’s eye, but a drum stick too, when he threw them to the crowd. He’d been in Green Day for something like twenty years and he was still loved by around half the audience.

Nickey was definitely in that half.

He winked at her and she felt something inside ping. She’d missed him. She’d only known him for a day or so but he remembered her. And she realised then something she had known all along but never admitted.

After the show, Nickey and Alex each had a quick cigarette before going into the backstage building. Nickey needed one, and she needed to brace herself before going in there. Alex noticed and was happy for a nicotine boost.

“Alex, I need to talk to you”
“Now? Like, this second?”
“Yeah, before we go in there.”

The shorter woman put out her smoke and looked at her best friend.

“Nickey, you can tell me anything…”
“I know, I do…” She thought of the things she’d told her, “You know I do.”
“So what is it?”
“Alex, I think I’m seriously in love with Tré”
“Seriously?!
“Seriously.”

And with that, the two women walked up to the barrier, flashed their passes and went backstage.