Sequel: Inbetween

Shock Factor

It's The End!

Nickey woke up, it was about eight am. She stretched out and smiled. It was her birthday. Most twenty four year olds wouldn’t be as happy with life as she was; she’d really made a go of things, especially as she used to live in a squat.

She padded downstairs, only to find a note on the fridge…

Hi Nickey, it’s Alex! Took ZZ I'm babysitting her. Consider this your first clue in your birthday surprise hunt! ZZ hid the first clue…

Nickey gaped at it. She had a treasure hunt? She really wasn’t five today. However, Alex might be five mentally. Hell she was too, this was gonna be the most fun!

She ran and got dressed. If Alex had taken Zekkia out of the house, then this was a town wide trail… But then again, if Zee-Zee hid the first clue, it was probably in the house somewhere. Being only five, she wasn’t very imaginative yet.

When she was finally dressed, in green and such (it is her birthday, after all!) she went into her daughters bedroom and picked up the pillow. Next to the little diary, locked tight, was a piece of paper covered in Zekkia’s scrawl.

In their secret hiding place, Tré opened a beer, and nodded appreciatively. He was teasing Mike, who had been given lemonade by Zekkia. She had decided he was her favourite person today. Especially after he gave a big hug and called her Gorgeous.

Meanwhile, Nickey fished a plastic folder out of the pond in the park. It was the twelfth and final clue. I was in a handwriting she recognised, but couldn’t pinpoint. She read it. And reread it. Then she got it and ran all the way.

“Last clue! And your destination is.” And her destination is… Destination!

She ran to Destination Night Club, a night club that hired the upstairs room for parties. How long had Alex been planning this? This certainly was more fun than last year! The bouncers both smiled at her, they knew her. Since when was Nickey not known by local bouncers?

She walked up the stairs; damn, she wasn’t dressed up in the slightest! But when she got to the top, there were only five people there. In everyday clothes. It was only lunchtime, too early for a party anyway.

Nickey stood and stared. They had heard her coming and stood up to greet her. Alex, Zekkia, Billie Joe, Mike and Tré, all gave her a hug. At first she could only manage some vowel sounds, and then managed to speak.

“Wow… holy umbrella waving cat! How? When? Why-What? How long have you been planning this? You guys came down for my birthday? This is awesome!”

She finally moved from her shocked position by the door. She jumped up in the air and onto Alex, giving her a hug attack, before doing the same to Tré. She bent down and gave her daughter a big hug and kisses all over her face, which made Zekkia giggle.

“Right!” Said Alex, who’d clearly enjoyed planning this as much as Nickey had enjoyed looking for clues, “We’re all gonna go for lunch!”

They had lunch at Destination Restaurant, which Nickey hadn’t known existed, and ate there. The food was good, it was a buffet, and had pasta salad and such. Then Zekkia went to Shaun’s sisters, he would have taken her but he was coming to the party. Little Zee-Zee had no idea there a big party she was missing out on.

Later, when they were all at the party, Nickey was having the time of her life. All her closest friends were around her, and she was really enjoying herself. Suddenly the music cut off, and they all turned to the small stage. Tré stood there, wearing a big paper hat that said “iMpoRtAnt!” on it. He grinned.

“Well hello! I'm Tré Cool, blah blah blah! Just wanted to say thanks Alex, this is really cool! Toast to Alex!” They all yelled cheers and Alex blushed down to her toes, “But what I really wanted to say is, Nickey, we don’t know enough about each other, no, but I’d love to know all about you. What’d you say? Get to know me better, too?”

Everyone turned to Nickey and she ran up to Tré and kissed him, like at the end of a romantic film. Everyone said aw, like at the end of a romantic film. It was the perfect end to the perfect day.

After everyone left, Tré, Nickey, Alex, Mike and Billie Joe were walking, ever so slightly tipsy, down the stairs when Alex turned to Nickey, excitement on her face.

“But! There’s a butt here, see.” Nickey nodded and poked Alex in the bum, and they giggled. “There’s a but here, coz its time for you’re last birthday surprise!”

Curious, Nickey looked around as they got into the street, but the surprise was at home. When they got back to Stix, who but Nickey’s sister was there waiting for her?

During the tearful hug, Mike asked Alex just how long she had been planning this.

“Oh, since last year. Well, her sister that is. I’ve only been planning all your appearance for a few months. Coz I'm awesome like that. I just hope she remembers this as her best birthday!”