Travel The Road

.o8 Never Let This Go

One day you'll get sick of pretending everything's all right and by then I'll be pretending just like I am tonight

The sun was just beginning to set when Juliet awoke. Tiredly, she groped around for the lamp until she found it and turned it on dim. Joe, somewhere between the time he fell asleep and then, had taken his shirt off to become more comfortable. Upon glancing in his direction, she saw he must have tossed and turned alot; the sheets were messily wrapped around his waist.

The sun was angling through the window just so that it hit Joe's muscular chest perfectly. Juliet did her best not to stare, instead reaching for the television remote and turning it on a low volume.

The reception was horrible and the screen was mostly filled with static, but she could vaguely make out the images of a man at a news desk, a picture of the boy laying on a bed beside her positioned at the top left corner of the screen. She bit her lip, casting him a glance. He was still sleeping soundly, his mouth half-way open. She smiled and turning back to the television, clicked to the next channel. This one was just as fuzzy as the first and with a sigh, she gave up completely. The TV turned off with a flash of white light.

Joe stirred and Juliet crossed her fingers that she hadn't woken him. He needed all the rest he could get. They still had a very long way to go. Juliet tried to calculate in her mind the amount of time it would take them to reach California, assuming they wouldn't get caught.

No, she internally scolded. That thought shouldn't even enter her mind. She would only jinx them both and cause complete disaster.

The sky was continually growing darker and Juliet was aware she'd have to wake Joe soon, but for now she would let him sleep. He looked so peaceful, cuddled up next to his pillow, the sheets wrapped around his waist, his hair a mess of sweaty semi-curls.

The air conditioner was thrumming loudly beside his bed, groaning under its first use in however many years. It wasn't doing a very good job. The room was still very warm.

As silently as was possible, Juliet stood, lightly stepping over some of the sheets that had fallen off the bed in all of Joe's tossing and turning. Her hand grasped the door knob and she turned, pulling the door in her direction as she did so. It was one of those doors that automatically sprang forward again. Juliet picked up one of Joe's dusty tennis shoes and propped it in front of the door, preventing it from slamming closed once again.

She paused for a moment, peering out into the darkness. The parking lot had a total of two street lights. One was busted, the other flickering, fighting to stay lit. Across the deserted road, the lone gas station was still alight inside.

Fireflies were cautiously making their way into the night, fearing capture from a child's hand or the sunlight. They had no need to worry; no children were to be found in this deserted wasteland and the sun was disappearing quickly beneath the horizon. She watched with amusement as more and more fireflies seemed to crawl from their holes and join in with the festivities. Summer was definitely something to be celebrated.

Yet she felt hollow, not completely whole. She had just left behind everything, absolutely everything just to take a chance with this heartbreaking, mysterious, beautiful boy. The only lonely remnant of her past life was the worn picture in her back pocket, one of a woman in her early twenties sliding down a dirt road while a man around the same age stood behind her, pulling her up by her arms to keep her from hitting the ground. They both had smiles on their faces, painful reminders of a perfect life torn to pieces with the wear and tear of years of marriage. This photo was all that was left from that life. A life Juliet had absolutely nothing to do with because the woman in the photo wasn't pregnant or dead yet. And that man hadn't begun beating his daughter.

"Hey."

The voice was soft in her ear and it sent shivers down her spine. He was gentle when he placed his hand on her shoulder and turned her slowly around. She hadn't even noticed the tears that had begun falling freely from her eyes. They were betraying her, screaming her weakness. She avoided his eyes, but he lightly placed a finger beneath her chin, forcing her to look up at him and face shame.

His expression was unreadable and he kept steady eye contact with her as he kicked his shoe backwards and let the door fall closed. He proceeded to reach forward, wipe away a tear from her cheek with his thumb. "You don't have to be afraid," he whispered, his breath hot on her face.

Juliet was at a complete loss for words, something that had never happened to her. Slowly, tentatively, she pulled just beyond his grasp and stepped around him. She began to run a hand nervously through her hair, unsure of what to do with herself. She could feel Joe's eyes on her back, but she ignored that, instead collecting her shoes and slipping into them.

She continued to avoid eye contact as she began making the bed. Maid service in this run down hotel was very unlikely and she would feel guilty to leave the room a mess. It wasn't in her nature.

Wordelessly, she turned and began making his bed. He caught her wrist. "You don't have to do that," he said, louder than last time, but still gentle. She shook him off, slightly angry. She wasn't a damsel in distress; she didn't need his saving.

But if that was true, what was she doing here?

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see him tying up his sneakers. He stood then, shoving his hands into his pockets. "I'm going to check out and start the bike," he declared before making his way in the direction of the door. He paused there, hoping she would stop him. She didn't.

The door closed with a quiet click. Juliet allowed one final tear to flow down her cheek before wiping the rest away defiantly. She couldn't remember the last time she cried; she was strong. John had made sure of that.

One quiet, final sob escaped her lips and she stood, grabbing her jacket from the chair near the door before flicking off the light and stepping out into the warm night without so much as a glance backward.

[&&&]

Juliet sleepily counted the grey lines in the pavement rolling along below them. Her arms were wrapped aroue Joe's torso, not as tight as they had been last night, but still tight enough to keep her from flying off the end. Her mood hadn't improved by much, but rather numbed with the wind and darkness. It kept her mind empty and her face void of tears.

Joe had been entirely silent since the scene in the hotel room. Not that she was really complaining, but it was so odd not to hear his voice. He was always talking. Always. That was something she had learned about him in the last three days. Or had it been four? She had completely lost count.

She stared blankly into the distance. They were entering a smaller town now, it was becoming apparent with the sudden density in farm houses and trailer parks. A street light flickered ahead and she sighed. Her butt was beginning to numb again.

Joe may not have heard her sigh, but he felt it. He glanced over his shoulder at her, catching her eye. She looked away quickly, instead focusing on a sleeping dog chained outside the house. It had awoken with the loud rumble of the motorcycle and was eyeing them suspiciously, apparently too tired to begin yapping just yet.

A railroad track was fast approaching and Joe slowed, doing his best to keep his balance as each tire dipped into the space between the two rails. He kept his slow pace, however, when safely on stable ground. She could see a small lit building in the distance. A neon sign was elevated in the parking lot. It was recognizable as a diner and Juliet was vaguely thankful. Her stomach had been growling for the last hour and a half.

The diner was completely empty, but at 10:30 PM, Juliet was just grateful it was open. An older woman stood behind a counter, eyeing them suspiciously as she smoked a cigarette. Joe ignored her, moving to a booth in the corner furthest away from her. Juliet followed wordlessly, scratching her arm nervously.

The waitress appeared seconds after Juliet took a seat across from Joe. The seat had ripped open and an avalanche of yellow foam was flowing from the seams, but the waitress didn't seem to notice. She was scrutinizing Joe curiously. "You look familiar..." she declared. Juliet's heart skipped a beat.

"I get that a lot," Joe replied quietly, staring out the window. The waitress narrowed her eyes. "What can I get you?"

"Coffee," Joe replied immediately.

The waitress turned to look at Juliet, who scrambled her brain for something to say. She had gone so long without speaking that she wasn't so sure she still had the ability to. Finally, she managed to reply with, "A diet Coke and a BLT."

The woman gave her a dirty look before turning and making her way slowly back behind the counter. Someone had obviously already done the dishes.

Juliet made a face before returning to her original position facing Joe, whom she was surprised to see, had a slight smile on his face. "What?" she questioned.

Joe, whom had obviously not meant for Juliet to see his smile, immediately returned to his gloomy demeanor. "Nothing," he replied, absentmindedly ripping a napkin to small pieces. Anything to keep from looking her in the eyes.

Juliet shook her head. "No. You're talking to me. Now."

She was surprised by the words that flowed freely from her mouth. She hadn't meant to say them, but they were out, and she knew she meant them. Joe looked surprised as he finally looked up to meet her eyes.

"Oh, so you're talking to me now?" he asked, a hint of arrogance coloring his voice.

Juliet let out a loud groan of anger and frustration as she crossed her arms tightly over her chest. "Nevermind, then," she declared loudly. The waitress poked her head around the door leading to the kitchen, obviously not wanting trouble. Juliet shot her a look and she returned to the kitchen.

Joe was back to tearing the napkin and Juliet had the intense urge to kick him. How did everything always turn back to her? They were discussing him.

"You just reminded me of my brother for a minute."

Juliet cocked her head to one side, her eyes scanning Joe's face for any sign that he had just actually said something to her. A moment later, he looked up to meet her eyes. She would accept that as her sign.

"Do you miss them?" she asked, her voice suddenly tender. He had never once actually discussed his previous life with her. It was always about her. About her past, her family, her life. And now it was her turn.

Joe opened his mouth to reply, but just as he did, the waitress returned with Juliet's BLT and their drinks. Juliet didn't dare take her eyes off him and he seemed extremely uncomfortable. The waitress left without another word.

She watched him carefully as he took a sip of his black coffee. He seemed unwilling to answer any questions she had about his family, unwilling to think of it. But that wasn't fair, and they both knew that.

He ran a hand through his hair as he replied, "I miss my family, yes. But I don't miss my life. At all."

He winced as he talked, as if each word he spoke caused him physical harm. Juliet looked away. She had never seen him like this before and it wasn't a side of him she cared to see often.

Her eyes raked over the diner, looking for something else to change the subject. She may have been curious about his previous life, but seeing him this way was uncomfortable and she would do anything to make things better somehow.

She took in everything from the fading pink upholstery of every booth and seat in the dining room to the ugly blue of the foam placemats set on each table, including their own. A neon sign was flickering above the counter where the waitress sat, smoking yet another cigarette and reading a romance novel, that advertised amburg rs. A breeze blew somewhere outside, shaking the glass door at the enterance and causing the bells to jingle. It was then that her eyes fell upon a cream-colored telephone.

Turning back to Joe, she bit her lip. He wasn't paying any attention to her, rather staring out the window once again as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Why don't you call them?" she suggested.

Joe almost choked on his coffee as he processed what she had just said. Wiping some of the liquid from the corners of his mouth, he set down the mug. "I don't have a phone," was his immediate reply. Juliet frowned at his lack of originality.

"There's one right over there," she declared, pointing in the direction of the phone. His eyebrows shot up at the realization that he was cornered. His mouth opened to make an excuse, but Juliet beat him to it.

"Call them. If you don't, it's a dealbreaker. I'll walk over there and use that phone to call the police. My dad'll claim it a kidnapping and I'll never say a word."

Joe frowned at her. "That would be a lie," he stated. Juliet shrugged her shoulders. "So would whatever excuse you were about to use on me about why you shouldn't call your family."

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, obviously looking for some way out. He found none and gave a sigh of surrender before standing to make his way across the room. The waitress barely threw him a glance.

He was aware Juliet was beside him, supervising. He sent her a look and she made a face, but proceeded to stop a few feet away from the phone on the wall. Joe swallowed before grabbing the telephone from the hook and turning his back to Juliet so she couldn't see what he was about to do.

The buttons were cold as his fingers brushed against each in turn. When he had touched each button of Nick's number, he leaned casually against the wall. "Hey, Nick," he said into the empty reciever. Juliet smiled, satisfied.

He felt guilty, but his family was not something he wanted to face so soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment. Subscribe. Tell people about it. Whatever floats your boat.

Formspring.me/hidebyasmile
twitter.com/chaseforever
underneathbittertruth.tumblr.com