Dark Eyed Dreamers

Braelyn

It was a week after the “team meeting” and almost everything seemed to be reverting back to how it previously was. Only Mikayla and Rian were now inseparable and Alex was trying his hardest to charm my sister. Also, Mikayla’s appetite increased as she entered her second trimester. She made it hard to keep food in the house, she was living with Rae and I.

“Brae! Can we get these? Please!” Jack screamed from the opposite end of the cereal isle, waving a box above his head. People stared in awe at the teenager screaming enthusiastically about the cereal in his hand. I flushed red when people turned their heads in search of who he was screaming at.

“No. Put it back.” I muttered quietly when I finally pushed the cart to Jack’s end of the isle.

“But look! You get one of these cool things!” Jack pointed to an image of a prize that was printed on the box.

“Fine, get the cereal.” I gave in, hoping that people would stop staring at the two of us if he stopped yelling.

I pushed the cart along in silence as I found items that were on the shopping list. Jack trailed by my side, being entirely too quiet.

“So...this is fun!”

“Yep.” I answered mindlessly while I searched for the cookies Mikayla requested. There were all sorts of cookies but none of them were the ones Mikayla wanted. I picked up the closest thing I could find and threw them carelessly into the basket.

“Rae and Alex seem to getting along nicely.”

“Haven’t they always?” I asked shooting a glance in Jack’s direction.

“Yeah, I guess. Now they’re like...” Jack trailed off, not being able to find the word he was looking for.

“Flirty?” I suggested.

“Exactly!”

“Well, Alex isn’t being a whore anymore. It’s a good change for him.” I pushed the cart around the corner and into the next isle, this one full of cleaning supplies.

“I guess.” Jack grumbled. I intended to shoot him another questioning look but I stopped when I discovered Jack pouting, keeping his eyes locked straight ahead.

“Jack?”

“Yeah?” he turned his gaze to me, pout melting from his lips.

“Do you like Reagan?”

Jack snapped his attention to a bottle of Mr. Clean. “No. Why?” he asked with a laugh. I bit my lip to kept myself from smiling. Jack was oblivious to how clear he was making it to me. Jack liked my sister.

“You can tell me if you do. I won’t tell her.” I promised.

“I don’t.” Jack mumbled throwing the Mr. Clean into the basket. Jack was unusually quiet for the rest of our shopping trip and most of the car ride home. It wasn’t until I had pulled into the garage that Jack blurted out “I liked her before he did.”

- - -

“I hate when sand gets in my hair.” I stated, not directing it at anyone in particular as the seven of us sat in a clump on the beach. It was sunny and surprisingly hot for an early summer day.

“I hate when sand gets in my shorts.” Jack responded. “It gets”

“Ah! No more!” Mikayla cut him off, saving the rest of us from whatever Jack was about to say. All the guys erupted in laughter, knowing what he was going to say. I relaxed into Zack’s hold on me. Zack was laying on his in the sand, and I was leaning against him. The sun made the exposed skin of his torso burn against the skin on my back. Zack’s chest shook from his laughter, hearing his laugh kept a smile on my face.

“Rae! Let’s build a sand castle!” Jack jumped about like a toddler on a sugar high.

“Okay!” she agreed while laughing at his excitement. Jack pulled her up from the sand, keeping a firm grip on her hand as he ran full speed toward the water.

“Let’s go swimming.” Alex suggested watching jealously as Jack and Reagan laughed loudly while building their castle.

“You coming?” Zack asked resting his chin on my shoulder.

“Nah, I’ll pass. You go though, I’m going to try to get a tan.” I answered with a smile.

“Okay.” Zack kissed my cheek before he headed toward the water with Alex and Rian.

I found myself instead of tanning, watching Zack trash around in the water with Alex and Rian. Their idea of swimming was wrestling and pushing each other under water. My smile was a permanent fixture on my face as I watched him.

“You really love him, don’t you?” Mikayla asked grinning at me.

“I really do.” I answered with a grin when Zack smiled in my direction.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading!
Leave some comments and let us know what you think! :D