Vindication

Chapter 1

Ignoring the many stares coming his way, James held his right foot as he hopped over to the nearest bench. Massaging the spot where Melanie’s heel had made contact, he cast his blue eyes in the direction she had gone. The whole foot-crushing event was a blur and a mystery. He wasn’t entirely sure what had caused it, only that something had. Racking his brain he tried to remember if there had been something important he’d forgotten. It really wasn’t like him to forget the important, or simple, things. That didn’t mean it wasn’t impossible, he was human. He let out a sigh as his phone rang from his leather jacket pocket.
“Hello.” He answered, staring at his foot, hoping that no real damage had been done.
“Girl problems?” James could hear the laughter in his friend’s voice as he resisted the instinctive eye roll.
“No.” he lied and he knew Everett knew he was lying. Melanie was always giving him problems, which led to wonder, for the hundredth plus time in the relationship, why he was with her.
“She’s not worth it man.” This conversation definitely needed to be directed down another path.
“Why’d you call, Everett?”
“We’ve got an issue.” Down to business.
“What kind of issue?” James wasn’t sure he wanted to know.
“The kind in which you and I, might be taking welfare in the near future if we don’t fix it.” James pushed up against his knees as he stood up. The pain in his foot was barely noticeable now.
“Alright, I’ll be there as soon as I can.”
“Hurry up, Forman’s wants to see us as soon as possible.” James swore under his breath as he pulled his car keys from his pocket. Making his way off the park’s path, he quickly found his car, a black Buick Allure.
When Forman asked to see you, it meant he wasn’t happy. James and Everett were usually on his good side, but they must’ve done something to aggravate the man. He just couldn’t figure out what. It just didn't seem to be his day with keeping people happy.
The past few weeks had been spent on a case involving a widow and her boyfriend. Both were suspected of murder in the first degree, of her now late husband. Forman and Lenning had been brought on to defend the widow. The prosecuting attorney was the police department’s own attorney.
Things had been going as planned. James, who was the lead attorney on the case, had had the jury in the palm of his hand. A lot of the evidence pointed to the widow and her boyfriend, but instead of seeing that as a downfall on their side, they had taken it and run, finding a way to twist it and use the evidence to their benefit. It hadn’t been easy, but they’d pulled it off.
The firm’s building soon came into view and James pulled into the parking lot at a barely legal speed. Finding his parking spot, he put the car into park and quickly made his way out. Clicking the locking mechanism on his keys he rushed into the building.
“Good, you’re here. Maybe we won’t die.” Everett said the moment he spotted James. He was playing with the knot on his tie and James knew he was nervous.
“What’s this about?” James questioned as he quickly put his briefcase on the top of his desk and shrugged off his long, black jacket.
“He didn’t say, just to get you down here as soon as possible.” That didn’t surprise him, nothing was simple with Forman.
The two walked up the desk where Forman’s secretary sat with the man’s schedule out in front of her.
“We’re here to see Mr. Forman.” Everett informed her as he attempted to straighten his jacket and tie. James gave him an elbow and a stern look, telling him to stop fidgeting.
“Go right in, he’s waiting.” Taking a deep breath both men walked in.
Forman’s desk was an older, oak desk filled with case files. The walls surrounding the room were filled with countless law books, all had been used a great number of times. The setting sun outside of the window, cast Gerald Forman’s form into a shadow.
“You wanted to see us, Mr. Forman.” James spoke with a confident voice, despite what he felt. He had learned early on that it was always best to keep any fear absent if you wanted any respect.
“Have you two been keeping an eye on our client, Mrs. O’Connor?” both men took a glance at each other before looking back at the man who held their career fates in his hands.
“Of course, sir.” Everett replied.
“Then perhaps you’d like to explain this.” He got up from his desk, a file in his aged hands. James took the file from him and opened it. Pictures of Mrs. O’Connor’s body were displayed in front of him. The sound of Everett swallowing, reached his ears as the man looked over his shoulder at the pictures.
“Sir, when did this happen?”
“It would appear last night. There was a note. The police seem to think it was meant for you two.” James quickly flipped through the pictures before he found a piece of paper with handwriting on it.
You dare try to free the evil that resides in this city. I will not let it happen. The guilty must pay.
-The Vindicator
♠ ♠ ♠
This was written spur of the moment in the early hours of the morning, before the sun was even up and I went to bed. Let me know what you think.