My Shadow Followed When You Walked Away.

You make me happy, whether you know it or not.

Kane’s POV

As I walked into school Monday morning, I searched the crowd for my best friend Amy. Spotting her by our lockers, mine was right to next to hers, I scurried over to her.

“Hey Amy,” I said once I reached our lockers.

“Hey Kane,” she replied.

“How was your weekend?” I asked her.

“Well after the dance, the weekend was pretty much boring. My mom grounded me because I’m failing Italian,” she groaned. “How was yours?”

“Same. Besides the whole failing Italian thing. But I didn’t really like the dance so much, either.”

“Why not?” she asked as she turned towards me. “You got to dance with a totally adorable boy.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. He was Miranda Sanchez’s boyfriend,” I told her.

“What?!” she asked as her eyes widened.

“Yep. And he kissed me. Twice,” I said irritably. She stared at me in horror.

“Oh god, I hope Miranda doesn’t find out!” she shrieked. I nodded.

“Me too. And he was totally calm about it, I was like ‘dude, don’t you understand what could happen if she finds out?’ I guess he doesn’t realize how horrible his girlfriend is,” I muttered as I rummaged through my locker.

“Wow. He was really cute though. And totally adorable,” she commented. I groaned.

“Don’t even go there. You know what would happen,” I told her.

“Oh I don’t want to go there. I want you to go there,” she said. I shook my head violently.

“Hell no. Are you trying to kill me or something?” I whisper shouted. She shook her head.

“Of course not, I’m just trying to hook up my best friend with a totally adorable boy, because she never gets out and never does anything. She’s a total hermit crab.”

“I am not a hermit crab, I just don’t have any interest in attention and publicity,” I said.

“You are so not normal. I don’t know where you come from. There’s something wrong with you,” she told me. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah I know,” I mumbled as I shut my locker and turned around, only to be stopped by someone standing right in front of me.

“Well hello there,” said a boy. I looked up and groaned. Christofer. Speak of the devil.

“Hi,” I grumbled at the same time as Amy said “Hi!” in a cheerful voice. He looked at her.

“I don’t think we’ve met. Christofer,” he said with a smile as he extended his hand towards her. Amy took it and smiled her flirty smile at him.

“Amy,” she said as she batted her eyelashes. Christofer nodded and extracted his hand.

“And your name is?” he said as looked back at me.

“You know I’m not gonna tell you my name,” I muttered.

“Why not?” he asked in a disappointed voice.

“Why do you want to know my name?”

“Because I usually like to know the names of the girls I dance with and kiss,” he said.

“Shh!” I whispered as I looked around. “Do you really want people to hear that?!”

“Well, no-”

“Exactly. It wouldn’t be too nice if people found out you cheated on your girlfriend, especially with me. Don’t you know I’m pretty much the school loner? Nobody knows who I am anyways,” I whispered.

“So. Reputation doesn’t matter,” he said.

“But you have a girlfriend and that matters,” I told him. He downcast his gaze and started fumbling with his hands.

“Maybe. But we can be friends. Right?” he asked. I groaned.

“Why? Why can’t you just go back to precious Miranda and leave me alone?” I asked.

“Because I kissed you, and I’m not the kind of person who just kisses a girl and never gets to know who she is,” he told me.

“Shh!” I shushed him again. “You really need to saying that out loud. And it doesn’t matter who I am, you don’t need to know, and you won’t know.”

“I’ll ask around.”

“What part of I’m the school loner don’t you understand? No one knows who I am, and if there is anyone who knows who I am, you won’t know who. No one knows me, and you’re just another person who won’t know me. Okay? Now go away, I need to get to class,” I muttered as I grabbed Amy’s hand and pulled her along the halls to our first class.

“Why were you so mean to him?” she asked as the bell rang.

“Because he’s Miranda’s boyfriend, and in no way at all am I getting involved with him, even just letting him know my name,” I told her.

“But he only wanted to be friends, you could use another friend,” she said softly. I stopped and looked at her.

“Amy do remember what happened when I went to Vegas?” I asked her. She nodded her head silently. “I was well known there after about a month or two, and it turned out badly. I’m not letting that happen again.” She sighed.

“I know you’re just trying to protect yourself, but you don’t have to isolate yourself from people to do that. You can make friends, and I’ll protect you,” she offered. I shook my head.

“That’s sweet of you Amy, but it wouldn’t work. I know what’s best for me, and this is it. I’m just fine being the school loner, and I’m surviving well enough. I don’t need anybody else in my life,” I said as I started walking again and entered our history class just as the bell rang.

“Alright kids, open your books to page 650 and read the whole chapter until the bell rings,” our teacher, Mr. Gibbins, said once we were all seated. Mr. Gibbins was an elderly man who was balding and short. He was about five feet and didn’t teach very much. Most of the time he just made us read and then write something on what we learned about what we read for homework. He would just sit at his desk and read a book or sleep. As I opened my book to read, I sighed and hoped this day would go by fast.

By the time I was in my chemistry class, we were mixing chemicals. I was dead bored and Amy was doing all the work, since we were chemistry partners. The classroom phone rang and Mrs. Williams was scurrying to answer it.

“Hello?” she said into the phone. “Oh yes. Will do.” She hung up the phone. “Kane Decker, go to the office. They have some of your papers there.” I nodded and jumped out of my seat, practically running to the door. I was anxious to get out of that boring classroom. Once I got to the hall, I slowed my pace down to a walk. As I walked, I wondered what papers of mine they could have at the office. How had they gotten them anyway? I shrugged to myself and continued walking down the hall. Once I got to the office, I pulled the door open and walked inside. I went up to the front desk and looked at the woman behind it. She stared at me.

“Mrs. Williams told me to come up here because you had some of my papers?” I asked more than told her.

“He has them, he brought them up,” she said, nodding to a chair behind me. I turned around and looked at the person sitting in the chair. Christofer. A groan escaped my lips as I walked over to him.

“What did you do?” I asked him.

“I didn’t do anything. You dropped your papers in the hall this morning when you left. So I brought them up for you,” he told me. I shook my head as I reached for my papers.

“Fine. Can I just have my papers please?”

“Not so fast,” he said as he slipped the papers out of my grip. “Lets look at the name on the papers, shall we?” he asked as he looked at me.

“NO,” I whispered, reaching for the papers again.

“I think we shall,” he said, pulling them out of my reach again.

“NO,” I said again just as he was looking at my papers.

“Kane Decker. So that’s your name now is it?” he asked as a devilish grin spread across his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long.
I just needed to find a name.
Obviously, I chose Kane.
Tell me what you think.
Tell me the name of the song.
Comments make me update faster,
So please comment.