Status: Active

Underworld

I Could Use A Wish Right Now

Morning came around all too quickly to Lara who was all too happy let sleep claim her for as long as possible. Brendon’s mother knocked briefly on the door before coming inside. Moaning slightly, she opened her eyes, the room was still pitch black except for the light near the door.

“Oh, did Brendon stay here?” Mrs. Urie asked once Lara had found the energy to sit up.

Glancing to her side she saw Brendon’s sleeping figure, his lips were pouted and there was serenity about him, one she hardly saw. “Yeah, i-it was just easier”.

“Oh, okay, well, once you wake him ask him to come downstairs, we’re visiting Jack today.”

All Brendon wanted to do was sleep, and never wake up, the stress, the fear, the paranoia was too much. He couldn’t handle it. He wanted out. He was trapped, caught in a long web and unable to pull himself out of it. Sometimes he wondered if he should just try to live an honest life but it was already too late. He was in and now he couldn’t leave.

He hated himself, to the point where he just wanted to tear himself up from the inside out. He hated himself for not being able to handle the pressure; he hated himself for not being like the rest of them. This was a business, not something to get emotionally involved in. The previous war between the Melbourne gangs had occurred just under thirty years ago, before Brendon was even born. Perhaps if he had been born back then he was sure he had been able to handle this. Perhaps blaming it on something else helped put his mind at ease.

His grandfather died during that time, so did Gabe’s and Alex’s, the other families were immune to it. The ‘war’ was quick, and bloody. In the space of a month, thirty people had died and the Cosa was once again reigning over Melbourne. Brendon wondered why? Why was his family sentenced to a life like this?

Brendon was sitting alone in his room grey pants, white shirt, red tie. Was red appropriate? Or would people take it as some sort of vile attempt at an ironic outfit. He couldn’t decide. Lara was downstairs; she wore some of Brendon’s sister’s clothes while hers were being ironed. Brendon found himself smiling at the thought of her, she was the light in his dark dark world. Already, she sent him crazy, he couldn’t stop smiling when he was around her, he. When he was with her it was like he was fourteen and care free again, like nothing in the world mattered.

Brendon jumped; he thought he saw something in the corner of his room. His body froze, hands shaking. He knew it, there was something there. Someone was in there; under the pile of clothes in the corner he could see them. He walked slowly towards the pile of clothes, gun in hand, he was ready.

“Where is he?” Mrs Urie sighed loudly from the foot of the stairs “Does he know that there are visiting hours?” Brendon appeared at the foot of the stairs “Finally, let’s go!”

“Mum, Lara’s going to come with me” Brendon said shortly. There was none of the usual cheery expression in Brendon’s voice, it was dead.

He felt like an idiot, jumping at shadows, that was what he was doing. Of course there was nothing in the corner, how would it have gotten in through the locked home. Everyone had left by now through all this horror, life goes on.

“Brendon,” Lara spoke barely above a whisper “Are you okay?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Brendon snapped “I’m sorry, I’m just stressed, you know how it is.”

Lara just nodded; she had no idea how he felt. None of her friends had ever been shot before.

Jack was in good spirits. He had a private room at the Royal Melbourne Hospital; booze by his side and after his brush with death, he thought of himself as a bona fide mobster. Alex had set up a basketball net above the doorway of the room. Hey, Jack was going to be there for a while, he might as well make himself at home. Brendon hated how blasé everyone was about it all. He was there, in a cold sweat, his breath picking up again.

“Bren” Lara place a hand gently on his arm, “Are you sure your fine.”

He looked at her and nodded and continued his conversation. He couldn’t let the guys see he was week, he was too proud for that.

The gardens outside the hospital were stunning, winding and luscious, one of the few spots of greenery in the drought ridden state. Brendon sighed looking at the girl beside him. In the hospital room, she had handled herself perfectly, she was sympathetic but not terrified, she wasn’t a blubbering mess who couldn’t keep control of herself, she was remarkably calm. She was just what a guy like him needed but he couldn’t put her through this, he didn’t want to expose the girl which he found so pure to his type of sinful dishonest way of life.

“Ummm...Lara” Brendon said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand “I’m really sorry about this, seriously I am.”

Lara nodded, placing her hand gently on his arm “Brendon, it’s not your fault.”

“It is” he snapped “I should have never got out with you Lara, really it was stupid.”

“I liked it” she said quietly.

“I liked it too but it’s too dangerous!” he shouted running his hands through his hair “I like you, but you shouldn’t have to see this. I’m sorry.”

Lara nodded “Alright, well... it was a good night, good food, good company” she smiled “It was good. I-I guess I’ll see you around then.” Brendon smiled back at her and watched her as she walked away. That was the one time he wished she was different. He wished she’d but up a fight, yell at him, beg him, convince him that everything was fine and hold them together. But he knew she wouldn’t, she wasn’t like that, she accepted it quietly and went on her way.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had a really good idea for the ending but I came up with it while at work and forgot it, oh well lol. Comments are ahmazing!