Status: Complete: Read the Final Chapter in the "Forest" Series!

Be Sure to Wear a Disguise

010 : Relentless


We're Coming For You. Why Do You Resist? Come. To. Your. Doom.


I snap awake, breathing deep and scared out of my mind. Gah, same dream. I'd had it every night for the last three days.

The dark, the cold, the bony fingers griping at me, and the voice. The voice that would scare anyone. The voice that steals my grasps of air and keeps me from screaming in my sleep.

The room is still dark, but I don't stop moving. I leap from my bed and run from the room. My bare feet hit against the floor till I reach the end of the short hall and open the door to Caan's room.

The knob turns easily for me and I dart inside. I stop for an instant to look at him, sleeping on his side. He turns over and seems to wake up. He sits up and looks at me.

I bite my bottom lip and stand by the door. Caan blinks once or twice before calling me over to him. A sigh rushes out on my lungs and I walk over to him, sliding next to him and under the covers.

"It was that dream again." No doubt in his voice. I only nod.

I drop his gaze, curling in on myself. "Why? I didn't do anything to deserve this... I-I-I --" I choke on my words and my fear. I want to protect Caan from the Dark. From the world I know of Fallen Angels and Ghosts and Shadows, I want to keep him hidden.

Caan gently rests his hand on my knee, making me look up at him. I draw in a sharp breath of surprise, his eyes are glowing softly in the low light. He tilts his head to one side, studying me with his glowing eyes before blinking a few times, making his eyes go back to normal.

"Come on. . . You need sleep." He says.

He sweeps a strand of hair from my face and I look up at him again. Maybe it's my imagination. Maybe I just need more sleep. He can't be any thing other than . . . What if he... What if my Caan isn't human? He raises an eyebrow, silently asking me what my question is. I should just.... It can't be that bad. It's just impossible that he'd be--

"What are you?

Somehow the question seems to poke some invisible barrier that we've held up. His eyes blink a few times, like he's trying to register the question. Then he smiles softly. Caan gently pulls me to him, engulfing me in a hug.

"I'm on your side. I'll always be you're friend.", He whispers. He manages to answer and avoid my question, but what he says makes me so calm, the emotion overwhelms me.

Tears prickle in my eyes. "Always?" I sniffle, pressing my face into his night shirt.

"Always, and without fail. No matter what. Cross my heart and all that promise-y stuff." He says, and I look up at him. He smirks gently at me, making me smile back. "Now go to sleep."

He flops down and pulls me with him. I curl against his side and listen to his heartbeat and breathing. My Caan doesn't need protecting. My Caan . . . is part of it. That much I know. That, and... he will always beMy Caan. Always.

The thought is my last as I float into sleep.

Image

My eyes flutter open and I look up at Caan, and try not to giggle. He has his reading glasses on, a rare thing and they are perched delicately at the end of his nose. He has his head tilted back so that he is looking down his nose, through the glasses and at the book he is holding with one hand.

The other hand, I realize, is laced with my own, our fingers intertwining. Caan flicks his eyes over to me and smiles, closing his book and setting it on the ground next to his bed, along with his glasses.

"Gut Morgen." He smiles.

"Good morning to you too," I sit up and run my hands through my hair,

"That's not going to help, you'll still look like a grumpy grizzle bear." He murmurs, smiling at me. I promptly shove him out of bed. "Ow. But that just proved my point."

I laugh and leave the room; I have classes to get ready for. After all the morning routine of hair and clothes, I leave the apartment and bound down the stairs. I walk to campus and meet Lyris in the courtyard. He looks mad.

"What's up?" I ask, walking into the building, Lyris close by my side.

"They're here." He says, grimly. "As in... here here."

The ice in my veins frost my being. . . I stand in the hall and the flow of college kids ebbs around me.

" They are here? In the building?" I dart my eyes around, feeling foolish for doing so.

At that moment, I feel the shiver in my spine justified by the shadows shivering by the window. Lyris takes my hand in his and leads me towards administration.

"We're getting you out of here." He whispers low and keeps walking. I look behind me, and nearly scream.

The man isn't especially tall, or short. His hair is a normal shade of brown and he's wearing normal clothes. But that's where the 'normals' stop.

His eye are flashing a menacing shade of gold. I'd always thought of gold as a warm comforting color. But these . . . I feel that they are melting my soul. I turn back, facing forward, and I still feel the eyes, tearing into my back.

"Lyris. . . ---"
"I know, Kathrine. I know."

We go into the office and Lyris calmly explains that I'll be absent for a few days and some other nonsense, but I'm not really paying attention. My thoughts are more on how my life is in danger and how it's costing me college tuition to have my life in danger. Which makes me slightly on edge.

Lyris grabs my arm and we leave the office. I can tell he's worried. The courtyard is a little more abandoned, now that most classes are in session. It's almost noon and the sun beats down on us as we walk across the grass.

I run in to Lyris, and only then do I realize that the courtyard is full of them. The Army of shadows. Each looks normal enough, given away only by their relentless staring gold eyes. They're waiting to kill me. Lyris stands still for a moment, then keeps walking.

I catch a glimpse of his face, and I remember why I use to be scared of him. He looks ready for any battle and he looks like he'd win. I look around at them, and see the one from before. He starts to walks towards us and soon is by my side.

"It's stupid to run, Angel." He says, to Lyris actually, "This is not your affair. It doesn't concern you."

My body is pulled, and Lyris is suddenly face-to-face, toe-to-toe with this person. His eyes are glowing violently, and the muscles coil in his arms. I stand behind him, feeling his body radiate with hate, his fingers curling into a fist.

"She is my concern." He spits out, venom heavy on his voice.

The Werewolf, for that is the only thing I think he can be, leans away from Lyris, but he smirks to cover his minor retreat. The air crackles, and I look around; the others are closing in. My heart starts to pound and my fingers curl around the edge of Lyris' shirt.

"Run then, Angel." The Werewolf sneers.

Together we turn and walk away, their gold eyes drilling holes into my spine. I hear the crunch of grass and twigs, and I know they're following.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

So. . . I'm starting to think that Kathrine doesn't know anyone who is a human. *shrug*

~LOVE AMBER~
XD

p.s.
Comments areaddictive.

p.p.s
I'm not sure that's a good thing to write. But I want comments. please? PLEASE!?