Status: Complete: Read the Final Chapter in the "Forest" Series!

Be Sure to Wear a Disguise

015 : Walking

P.O.V. : Unknown
This was a bad idea. It really was. Running was a bad idea. He should have just accepted his fate. But he didn't, and now I got dragged down into this too.

Blood. It chills in my veins. I don't want to be here. There are too many shadows.


Image

Caan wakes with a start, but mostly because I'm pelting him with small pebbles.He turns to me and in his eyes I see how he knows exactly what I want from him. Answers.

"Come here and sit with me." He saya softly, sitting forward and holding out his arms. I narrow my eyes but collapse into his lap. "Ask away."

"Tell me everything." I say, softly, but I can taste the iron egde in my words.

Caan sighs so heavily, as though the weight of all the worlds is resting squarely upon him alone. Then he spoke, calmly and solemnly.

"In the way of wolves, there is line of power. It was an accident, but I ... No... It was on purpose... A murder happened. The murderer was Troy. He was my dearest friend and had killed to portect me. Together we escaped. Troy ran to the world you lived me. I decended into this world, then reappear when I learned about the army's movements. I came to protect, to help, and to make sure that my friend did not leave behind something fragile and broken that would be shattered in the end."

I look up at him with a sort of dazed expression. Troy was a murderer? Caan looks down at me, then carefully brushes a little wisp of hair away from my face.

"Who'd he kill?" I ask.

"The second in command..."Caan says.

"Who was trying to kill you?"

"Yes."

"What are you then?" I ask

"I was third. Now I'm kinda a fugitive." He answers.

"Why would the second want to kill you? If you're under him, what's the point of killing you?"

"So her son can be third in command." He says simple, looking at the opening of the cave.

"Oh." I think over this. Then, I sigh. I was so full of questions. Now I'm not. I only nod. "I'm hungry. When do we eat?"

A whoosh of air scattered some ashes from the burnt out fire. Both Caan and I look up, and Lyris looks back at us. I see the green of his eyes harden a little. He sweeps the knapsack off his shoulder and lets it plop onto the floor. I look up at him again.

"A light breakfast and then off we go. It's not safe to be here any longer." Lyris says. Caan shifts me off his lap and reaches for the bag, opening it and pulls out food.

Image

Walking. Again. Lots and lots of walking. I look between Caan and Lyris. Lyris had his dove gray wings tucked close to his spine when we started walking this morning, now they droop a little. Caan shows no sigh of slowing down, none at all. I sigh softly, making both of them look at me. I grin innocently up at them.

"We've been walking for a while." I say softly. Lyris looks up, catching the sunlight through the trees. Caan just looks at me.

"It's barely noon." Lyris says, looking down at me. "You'd think with your life on the line you'd be a little more..."

He pauses, unable to find a word, then lets his sentence drop. Caan chuckles softly, shaking his head. I look at him.

"Don't y'all have cars?" I ask.

"We have magic. We don't need cars here." Caan answers.

"If we have magic, why are we walking?" I question him, turning to Lyris, who rolls his eyes. "And if we get to where we're going faster, I'll be safer. Right?"

They both nod. But we keep walking. We stop for a short meal, but soon we're up and walking again. The sun starts to sink fast, and we walk under the canopy of leaves, walking, walking, walking. The branch and leaves start to filter out the light, it becomes dark, but still we walk. I can feel the muscles in my legs ache, dull and tired. My feet hurt to pick up, even more to set down. My eyes are heavy from watching the forest floor, trying to not trip over anything. As the light wanes, my eyes start to strain, and my feet pick up less, dragging along the leaves and twigs. I stumble more than once.

Finally, I trip over a root and sink to my knees. Caan stops, and Lyris turns and looks at me. I look up at them, too tired to complain and whine. I only sigh softly, then struggle to stand. Lyris walks over and picks me up, arms looping under my knees and around my back, cradling me like a child.

"Almost there." He whispers. "Almost."

He carries me for a while, then the trees start to clear out. I open my eyes to look at a very small clearing, a barn and a small house. A single candle sits in the window. I squirm, and Lyris sets me down. Together, we walk up to the door. Caan knocks and there is the loud sound of large dogs sniffing at the other side of the door. I step back, leaning against Lyris. Then the sniffing stops, followed by the metal clinking of a bolt being drawn out of a lock.

The door opens a little, and a man peers out at us with vivid green eyes. He has long, grey, wispy hair that's pulled back by a black ribbon at the base of his neck. His features are sharp and the linear scar the cuts across the plane of one cheek to his jaw makes him look fierce. He looks at us three, then opens the door for us.

Wordlessly, he shuts the door and leads us upstairs. I look around surprised by how huge the cabin house thing is. On the outside, it barely looked big enough for two rooms, but on the inside, it had two floors and many rooms. The man with green eyes shows up each a room, hand us each a large iron key from a ring that he keeps on a sash around his waist. To me, he motions to lock my door. I nod.

I walk into my room, a little scared to be alone, but if Caan and Lyris trust this man, and trust that I'll be safe, I'll trust too. I lock the door, but keep the key close to me. I walk to the bed, and sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Oh wow.. been so so long. >.<

~LOVEAMBER~
XD

p.s.
Comment are wind.

p.p.s
I am a sailboat.