Status: Complete: Read the Final Chapter in the "Forest" Series!

Be Sure to Wear a Disguise

004 : Affection

"Hey. Wake up, Rin. Let's go get breakfast."

Caan's voice sounds very close.

"go yourself." I mumble, turning closer to my pillow.

"I would... except-" at this point my pillow moves slightly, "You are lying your head on my shoulder. It makes it hard to move around, much less go get breakfast."

I don't believe him, so I open my eyes to prove him wr- whoops... Sure enough, the curve of Caan's neck and jaw take up the whole of my vision.

My eyes move up and meet his. He has a smug grin on his face. I sigh and start to untangle myself from him, removing my arm from around his bare chest. I try to lean away, but my middle meets resistance.

I look down at my waist and see that he has one arm wrapped around me. That puts a smug grin on my face when I look back up at Caan.

"I was asleep. You were pressed against me." He defends himself, pulling away and rolling out of bed. "It . . . it's not ME! It's YOU!"

At this he spins around and point an accusing finger at me. Caan holds a serious face, and I feel my own face drop its grin.

We start laughing.

As our laughter quiets, Caan tousles his black hair, picks up his change of clothes and goes into the bathroom. A small smile plays on my lips as I watch him go, wearing only his loose sleep pants. A few minutes later, he reemerges. He looks at me and again his lips pull into a smug grin.

"Are you watching me?" Caan smirk, then he flops into the bed next to me. "You like?"

"Ew, no." I keep my voice flat, but I know Caan can see my smiling eyes, because his smirk widens.

"Now tell me, Rin." He rolls closer, "Did you like it better when I wasn't wearing a shirt or when you were watching me walk away?"

I fake a cringe and Caan just laughs before going over to repack his army bag. In the meantime, I take my things and prep in the bathroom.

As I'm brushing my hair, I let my hazel eyes stretch out of focus. I run the brush through the now grown out brown hair. I pack up my brush and open the door to the bathroom. I flinch back when I meet in a near collision with Caan's hoodie clad chest.

"Yeeees?" I look up at him, meeting his calm gaze.

Without warning, Caan hugs me. I freeze, waiting for my body to start functioning again. Then my arms, somewhat involuntarily, gently wrap around him.

"Why are you hugging me, Caan?" My voice muffled into the fold of fabric.

"Because you, Rin, are going to feed me breakfast soon. And that makes me happy." He pulls away and chuckles softly.

"I'm going to have to call BS on that one." I smack him gently on the arm, smiling at his childish antics.

As he fakes a gruesome injury, we walk out to the truck and dump out bags in the cab. Accompanied by Caan imitating his death throws, we climb into my car to find a place to eat breakfast.

"AARRRRGHH!!!" He groans from the passenger seat, gripping his arm where I'd lightly tapped him.

"Oh hush. I didn't even hit you that hard." I smirk, not really paying him mush attention.

"Fine, I'll just die in silence." " I wish you would. Then I wouldn't have to cart you around." "Aww.. don't you think I'm good comedic relief?"

At that, I laugh, and Caan smiles in mild victory. We park the car at the little diner where we ate last night. As we walk into the diner, which is a roadside classic if I ever saw one, Caan tosses an arm around my shoulders.

"My, my, you're affectionate today." I scoff gently as my own arm slips around his waist, "How come?"

He's about to answer, when an overly caffeinated waitress chimes for us to take a seat at the counter. We release each other and go to sit down. That waitress is about our age and when her eyes hook on to Caan, my own roll in annoyance.

I shouldn't have to say this, but I will. That waitress looks at Caan like a Piranha looks at injured things at fall in the river. I am partly humored by the enthusiasm with which she flirt, but on the other hand...

"This is getting on my nerves." I whisper to Caan, during one of Piranha's few absences.

"I think it's cute." He whispers back, mouth full of pancakes, 'How much ya wanna bet she gives me her number?"

"I, unfortunately, know she'll give you her number." I roll my eyes, causing Caan to laugh.

Cue; reenter the Piranha. She flashes a toothy grin, asking Caan if he needs anything else and making sure he know she will help him in any way, shape, or form. It slightly makes me want to heave my recently eaten food.

However, the fragile struggle of my stomach goes ignored as Caan retrieves the check. And...

"Got it." He smiles wide, waving the piece of paper victoriously under my nose.

I raise an eyebrow as we walk back to the car. Caan seems light on his feet as he looks at the number. I unlock his door before walking around the front to my side.

"You're strange." "You're just jealous." Of getting a girl's number? I don't think so." "No, silly." "I'm not jealous."

Caan let's out a heavy sigh and when I look at him I'm caught in his deep brown eyes. The urgent need to watch the road pulls my eyes away.

"What?!" I ask, my nerves shot from the Piranha breakfast.

The car becomes engulfed in silence till I pull in behind our moving truck. I pull the keys out of the ignition, but neither of us make a move to leave.

The silence is heavy and loud. It rushes and pounds against us, the car, everything. I crack first.

"Caan, I-" "Come here, Rin."

For the second time this morning, I find my body wrapped in Caan's arms. My own snake around him, welcoming the comfort. It breaks apart the deafening quiet and the world starts to move again.

"Let's get moving. 'Kay, Rin?" He says softly, in a voice that makes moving an unwelcoming idea.

"Sure, Caan." I pull myself together and step out of the car, moving around to hook the car to the back of the moving truck.

Caan climbs into the driver's seat of the truck and I slouch into the passenger seat. The window picture blurs past, and excitement builds inside me.

Almost There.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Sorta a filler, but it shows more about the character's personalities. Which is important.
: 3
Caan is adorable, to me anyway. What do y'all think of him?

~LOVE AMBER~
XD

p.s.
Not having comments is like Superman having Kryptonite. Immobilizing. Comment and let me fly.

p.p.s
I'll wear a cape if it makes you happy, but I draw the line at running around in red underwear. : 3