Sequel: Apology Accepted

We've Learned to Run from Anything Uncomfortable

08

Monday, May 23rd

"Olleh. I'm not comin' in 'ere again. Yeh've got about 15 minutes to get ta school. Now get up."

I opened my eyes to the harsh morning light peeking through my blinds and groaned. I kicked my blankets off and rolled onto the floor. A pair of jeans caught my eye and I pulled them on. I made my way over to my closet and pulled a green v-neck over my head and threw a sweatshirt on top of the whole ordeal.

I grabbed my car keys from my dresser, one of my packs of smokes and walked into the bathroom where I brushed my teeth quickly and attempted to run a comb through my hair, which didn't turn out very well, might I add.

"Are yeh even goin' ta eat?" Lynn sighed as I headed straight for the door with my books at hand.

"Oi Lynn. I've only got about eight minutes before the bell rings."

"Well here, just take this." She said, handing me a piece of toast with an egg, over easy on top of it.

I chuckled lightly, "Lynn, what in the 'ell is this?"

"Breakfast!" She smiled, "Now get outta 'ere. Yer gonna be late."

I opened the door, being blasted by freezing morning air. I made it out to my car, opening the passenger's door and threw my books on the seat, on top of Sam's hat. I quickly got into the driver's side and started my car, attempting to get the heater to work a bit faster.

Out of luck, I pulled away from the curb, my breakfast halfway in my mouth. As I reached the end of the intersection, I had completely consumed Lynn's breakfast. I pulled my pack of smokes out of my pocket and lit one, puffing on it, thinking maybe it would make me at least a little bit warmer.

Rounding a couple corners, I made it to school and screeched to a stop in a parking spot. I killed my smoke and dropped it on the ground. I then grabbed my books from the passenger's seat and locked my car doors, breaking into a slight jog to get to class on time.

I took my seat in my homeroom class, noticing the two girls from Jackson's were on either side of me.

"Running a little late today, Mr. Sykes?" Mr. Moore asked me, looking up.

"Um, yeah. Woke up a lil' late. Sorry 'bout tha'."

"It's alright. Glad you could make it." He grinned, shutting his attendance book.

The bell rang loudly, signaling I had made it to class on time. Everyone turned to each other at once, gabbing like they were all pals.

I tried to keep away from conversation, picking at a stray string on the end of my shirt. But, I could never be so lucky, could I?

"Hey, Oli?"

I looked to my left to see the face of the voice, LeeAnn, "Oi, 'ello."

"I didn't mean to upset you at the gas station yesterday."

"Don' worry 'bout it."

"Well, I was thinking." She paused, "Carrie and I are throwing a party on Saturday and we were wondering if you'd like to come.. You can bring friends if you'd like to."

"Um, yeh know. I'm not sure if I can make it, but why don't ya give meh yer address and if I show up, I show up." I grinned, not wanting to give up a good party.

"Okay. Yeah." She smiled, scribbling out an address on a piece of paper and handing it to me.

"Thank yeh, fer the.. Invite."

"No problem." She grinned, breathlessly, "Oh. I wanted to ask you something else."

"Erm, yeah?"

"You know how you're friends with Sam and stuff?"

"Yes. I know 'ow 'm friends with Sam. Wha' abou' it?" I snarled.

"Well, I saw her this morning.. Everyone saw her, and she's got bruises, everywhere."

I quickly turned my attention to LeeAnn, "What do yeh mean bruises?"

"She has them covering her arms, and she has more than just the black eye and cut on her face now.. She looks like someone beat the crap outta her."

I sighed lightly, "Dammit."

The bell rang, cutting off our conversation. I grabbed my books and made way for the door to get out as quick as possible and find Sam. Which, I found to be completely impossible. I couldn't find Sam anywhere. She wasn't in the hallways, she wasn't near her locker, not in the cafeteria, or the nurse. If I knew her classes, I'd be going to them.

All day, I ran around the school, looking for her. I scanned the hallways for her bag, hopefully seeing her arm attached to it. I kept my eyes towards the ground, trying to see if I could find her sneakers. I even made my way all the way to the library, looking behind every book shelf, checking all the tables, and running around like a damn chicken with his head cut off. I started to seem like a lunatic, scanning the entire school like I had lost my puppy.

I had started to get really worried when I scanned the entire lunch room and didn't see her. But, then she walked in right past me, with her head down, trying to avoid me. I watched as she gingerly sat down at the end of one of tables. Her arms were covered in bruises. And I'm talking covered, like every last bit of her skin was black or blue.

I quickly made my way over to the table and sat down in front of her, getting the best look at her face I possibly could. She did indeed have more cuts on her face than before.

"Sam." I muttered.

"Go away Oli." She said, on the brink of tears, "Please. Just go away. I've got enough attention drawn to me already, the last I need is the hottest guy in school sitting across from me so I have to listen to more girls tell me what a piece of shit I am."

"Oi, Sammeh. What're yeh talkin' bout?"

"Leave me alone!" She said, through gritted teeth.

I hit the table lightly with my fist, "Listen Sam, there is obviously somethin' wrong with yeh an' 'm not just gonna walk away cause yeh refuse to talk to meh."

"Fine. I'll leave." She said, getting up from the table.

Using my best tactic, I stood up and followed her, "Yeh wan' a smoke?"

She turned to look at me, tears in her eyes, "Sure."

"Alrigh', let's go." I said, placing my hand on her back and guiding her towards the parking lot where my car sat. She sat down in the passenger's seat and I started the car, pulling away from the school.

It was completely ridiculous that I had to pawn off my smokes just to get Sam to talk to me, but she needed someone to talk to, and I was the only one who cared enough to do so.

I pulled to an abrupt stop near a park and pulled out my pack of smokes, handing her one and giving her the lighter, I pulled one out for myself. She handed my lighter back after starting her's and sat there, puffing on it.

I decided to light mine and let her start talking when she wanted to. My leg was shaking with anticipation and I was about to open my trap when she hit the middle of her cigarette.

"She beat me." She whispered.

"Who did?"

"Lucy. My foster mom."

"Why?"

"I don't know." She said, more tears falling from her eyes, "I was sitting in my room, reading a book and she just came in my room, screaming and yelling about something on my file and started hitting me. Robert finally got her off of me, but not before she threw me down the stairs again."

"Oi, Sammeh." I said, not knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry for being such a raging bitch to you Oli." She said, looking up at me and wiping her face, "I just haven't known someone to give a fuck like you do, ya know? Everyone is too busy with their own happy lives to care, and I'm just really glad that you came along."

I looked at Sam, with a stupid look on my face, I'm pretty sure as those words came out of her mouth. After our fight yesterday, I didn't think we'd even come close to talking. Especially her telling me something like this.

“Well, thank yeh.” I grinned.

“Yeah.”

“Oh, an’ I was wonderin’, what were yeh talkin’ ‘bout when yeh said tha’ girls at school were buggin’ yeh ‘bout talkin’ teh meh?”

“Never mind about that, it’s not that big of deal.” She muttered.

“If they’re buggin’ yeh, it’s a big deal. Were it those LeeAnn and Carrie gals?”

She looked up at me, her cigarette butt hanging from her fingers and tears in her eyes, and nodded.

“God dammit.” I said, smacking the steering wheel, “Cunts.”

“Oli!” She exclaimed, laughing.

“Wha’?”

“Don’t call them cunts, that’s pretty harsh.”

“Well, I don’ like ‘em fuckin’ with yeh. Yeh don’ derseve tha’.”

“Trust me, it isn’t the first time, I’ll get over it. You don’t need to worry about it, okay?” She said softly, tossing her cigarette butt at me.

“Okay.” I grinned.

We sat there in a quiet silence. Sam obviously didn’t have much to say, and I was too busy thinking about everything she just opened up to me with, I couldn’t form exact sentences. But, I did know that I owed her an apology after the other day, and I wasn’t going to pass the chance up while she was stuck in my car with me and had nowhere to go.

"'ey Sam?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"I jus' want yeh ta know, 'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Fer yellin' at yeh yesterday. I know yeh didn' mean what yeh said, it just came out wrong."

"Yeah." She sighed, "It did."

"Well." I grinned, starting my car, "Yeh wanna come over and try it again?"

"Isn't your aunt home?"

"She'll understand."

"Okay." She smiled sheepishly.

I pulled out onto the street and drove to my house in a quiet atmosphere, Slipknot dancing around in the car. Once we arrived outside the house, Sam and I got out of the car and raced up to my front door, trying not to get too much snow on the cuffs of our jeans.

Laughing, we threw the door open to see Lynn standing in the hallway on the phone, "I know Carol, but-"

"Oi." I breathed, "Is that meh mum?"

Lynn's eyes shot straight at the bruises decorating Sam's arms, causing Sam to hide them behind her back self consciously.

I heard my mum on the phone, "What in the bloody 'ell is Oli doin' 'ome Lynn, ain't he 'spose ta be at school?"

"It was early release." She lied quickly, "Yeh wanna talk to 'im?"

I looked up with a hopeful glance on my face, "Does she?"

Lynn shook her head softly, mouthing, "I'm sorreh Doll."

I grabbed Sam's wrist and pulled her into my bedroom. I quickly sat down and pushed my palms into my eyes, keeping the tears away. I wasn't going to break down in front of Sam and cry like a little girl.

"Oli?" She asked, sitting down next to me, "Are you alright?"

I shook my head no and let her rub my back in reassurance as I heard Lynn's voice defending me in the living room.

As I thought about the past days events, I realized that I had started to change Sam, and that she was becoming a real person with some feelings. She didn’t run from the situation I was in right now, and really was trying to be here for me, even if there was nothing she could do.

Another thing I realized was, it is completely impossible for me and Sam to be together, and actually have a good time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright yeh lot, the reason i'm posting this so soon is because i'm going to warped tour and i wont' be able to check this for a couple days cause i'm going to a friends.

with that being said, thank you for the four stars. you guys amaze me (: it's wonderful.

i'd really appreciate having some comments to come back to, btw. (:
45? (: that'd be nice.

ha, i'd also like to mention my contests posted on my front page.. they need some contestants.. (:
oh. this chapter is 2,009 words, btw. :D