Status: one-shot contest entry.

Darling, Don't Lie.

001/001

Don't lie, don't lie to me now. Now I'm erasing you, throwing those memories out; out to start something new.

In the back of my mind, the silent urge to kiss you still exists. But I won’t, I’ll keep telling myself that I’m too good for you anyway. We both know it’s not true. Again and again, I beg you, Dylan, to tell me the truth. That night in the bar, did you cheat on me with that boy or not? I’m asking you, pleading for you to be honest.

Breathe in slowly now, darling don’t lie to me. Inhale truth, I plead, for you’re my only hope. Don’t lie, don’t leave.

My tears fall silently and my breath is caught in my throat. I shake my head and bury my face in your warm, familiar shoulder. What did I do wrong? I can be better, I swear. I’ll work hard, just for you. Don’t lie to me! I saw you and him. I saw him eating your face, and I saw you kiss him back. For every second your lips lingered on his, my heart broke again. I wasn’t drunk, but I hope you were. Did you know what you were doing? God damn it, just tell me the truth!

Mind set on failure, the road you chose. Told me you loved me, told me no. Take your time, I’m only dying. Patiently, I kneel here dying.

You’re killing me, Dylan. I’m wasting away. Can you please just tell me the truth? I know you’ve convinced yourself that it was only a dream, but I know it was reality. Have you stopped loving me? Don’t look at me that way! We both know you’ve stopped loving me. I’ve never stopped loving you. I still do, no matter how much I don’t want to. Never once did I stoop to your level, never once did I even think about any other boy. Is it the sex? Am I bad at it? Do my kisses make you sick? Am I really that dreadful at everything? All the lies, every minute I spent lying next to you meant the world to me. To you, so it seems, it meant nothing. Stop defending yourself, boy. I have to leave. Why? Because you fucking cheated Dyl! Darling, don’t lie.

Don’t mind me, I’m only dying. What got me into this mess that devoured me? Lies and deceitful actions, keep promising. Darling, don’t lie.