It Started With Cupid's Arrow

Bullying, Egotistical Prat

Third Year— Bullying, egotistical prat

The year was 1974 and Valentine’s Day was fast approaching. A petite, red-headed, third year Gryffindor girl could be heard discussing the upcoming dance; she would finally be allowed to go to with her friends. Though none of them besides Will and Elizabeth (who were going together) had dates, the subject was all they talked about.

To Lily Evans, a date to the dance wasn’t a top priority. Seeing if her secret admirer, who had sent her a poem last year, was going to reveal himself. She didn’t think he would, it had been almost a year and no word from him besides the poem. Maybe he was going to ask her to the dance, but she doubted that as well, for the dance was three days away.

Claire, Carolina, and herself had agreed to go together, for none of them had a guy they wanted to ask them, besides Lily and her secret admirer. They headed to the Great Hall for lunch after Charms that day, and they had thought there was going to be nothing out of the ordinary day at the finest magical school in the world. But they were mistaken.

They were only half way through their lunch when an extremely nervous James Potter walked up behind them and tapped Lily on her shoulder. “Yes Potter?” she asked, not at all bothering to hide the annoyance in her voice. Ever since her first Valentine’s Day in the Wizarding world, Lily had a thing against James Potter. Unbeknownst to her, he had been fancying her since she had hit him with that arrow back in their first year after he pranked her. She also didn’t know that it was he that had sent the poem the year before.

“Um, Evans? I was, um, wondering, uh, if you would...come to, the um, the dance with me?” he asked in a manner that was more shy and nervous than most people could think he was possible of. “You know, since I am the best looking and coolest guy in our year,” he continued with his normal swagger.

“What are you planning, Potter?” Lily asked suspiciously.

“What do you mean?” James asked, clearly having no clue what the red-head meant.

“I mean what prank are you planning to pull on me? I know you most have something planned, or why else would you ask me to the dance Saturday?” Lily asked, with an air of impatience around her. James just stood there, mouth open, not sure how to reply to that accusation.

“What? No! I’m not planning anything! I just wanted to ask you to the dance!” James said after regaining the ability to speak.

Raising one eyebrow dubiously, Lily shook her head, bits of her long hair hitting her friends softly. “Never gonna happen, Potter,” she said.

“But why not? I mean, why wouldn’t you want this? I’m the hottest guy in our year, and I’m one of the best Chasers the Gryffindor team has had in ages,” James said, his voice cocky, with only a slight amount of hurt, which went unnoticed by everyone.

“Why, Potter? You have got to be the most bigheaded guy in our school! You walk around like you’re all that, but really, you’re not. And, personally, I’m not a fan of bullying, egotistical prats who think they deserve special treatment, because they can stay on a broom stick and toss a Quaffle around at the same time. Well, you know what? Frankly, you disgust me, Potter, and that is never going to change.”

With that, Lily, as if on a cue, stormed out of the Great Hall and away from one very rejected James Potter.

/\/\/\/\

James Potter collapsed onto his bed, closing his eyes, and trying not to her Lily’s words repeating themselves over and over again inside his head. “Cheer up, mate, I’m sure she’ll get over that. I mean, one day she’s gonna be dying to go out with you,” Sirius said, trying to cheer up his friend.

“Yeah, one day,” Peter said, nodding furiously. Remus, who hadn’t said anything since James was turned down by Lily, finally spoke up.

“Maybe next time you shouldn’t ask her out in front of everyone. That can be embarrassing if you get turned down like that again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to thank the two people who've read this, and the one who subscribed. Seriously, I was really excited that someone subscribed. I wanted to thank the one who did and see the stories and poems that person had, but it won't let me know who subscribed.

So, please, comment.