It Started With Cupid's Arrow

Gryffindor Courage

Seventh Year—Gryffindor Courage

It was Valentine’s Day, early afternoon. James Potter had not once asked Lily Evans to the dance or to anything else this year. During the past few months, Lily had seen a side of James she never had before. A caring and sweet side that she always knew he had, but had been waiting to see for herself before she put her plan into action.

And today was the perfect day to do it. And knowing James, he would present her with the perfect opportunity without him, not even realizing it until it was too late. Lily was up in her dorm at the moment, thinking of the best way to do it—in private or in front of everyone in the Gryffindor House? Quickly, though, she decided on going through with it in front of the entire House, because she knew everyone would get a kick out of it.

So she was smiling as she headed down to the common room to meet up with James, before the quick Prefects’ meeting this afternoon, briefing them on the conditions, once again, for the dance that night. She and James lead the meeting, and for seemed like the hundredth time, they listed what the Prefects were to watch out for. Alcohol, drugs and –quote “promiscuous behaviour” unquote- fighting, duelling. Professor McGonagall wanted this dance to go smoothly and legally.

After the meeting, they headed back up to the common room. “James, you cannot sneak Fire Whiskey into the dance! You’re Head Boy now! If Sirius were to do it, I’d turn the other way, but you can’t!” Lily exclaimed as they came up to the portrait hole.

“But why? It’s not like I’m gonna get drunk or anything! The professors would never have to know,” James retorted.

“Yes, but I’d tell them. You can’t seem to understand that you aren’t above the law, James; it’s starting to get old. And besides, no one is above the law,” Lily said as they entered the common room, where Remus already was back sitting with Sirius and Carolina. “But Lils look at me! I’m the sexiest guy in the school, Head Boy, star of the Quidditch team, ultimate prankster, and top student. Why wouldn’t I be above the law?” James joked.

“Merlin, James, must you be such an egotistical prat all the time? It’s starting to get on my nerves” Lily joked back.

“Ouch, Evans, why must you hurt me so? I know you hate me and everything, but still,” James said in a fake wounded voice. This was it, the perfect opportunity. They were in front of everyone, Sirius and Remus’s eyes and ears were trained on them.

“Whoever said anything about hate, James?” Lily said taking a step forward before kissing him gently on the lips. The common room was filled with yells of excitement. Lily Evans had just kissed James Potter! When Lily pulled away, James put his hands up to his lips, a shocked but ecstatic expression on his face. “Now, James, if you can scrounge up your Gryffindor courage to ask me to the dance tonight, I might just say yes. Maybe.”

And with that, Lily exited the common room, her long hair swinging behind her. James, still speechless just stared at the spot she had been. In the background, Remus and Sirius were on the floor, howling with laughter. They couldn’t believe Lily had just said that. That was how things were for the next five minutes, until somebody wanted James to move, so they dumped water on him, which meant he had to go to his dorm to change.

Remus and Sirius followed him up, still laughing softly. “So, Prongs, are you going to do what she said?” Sirius asked from his bed.

“What are you talking about?” James asked, emerging from the bathroom dry and in his boxers. “Are you going to do what Lily said and scrounge up your Gryffindor courage, to ask her to the dance tonight,” Remus said.

“Wait a sec, when did Lily say that?” James asked his eyes wide with shock.

“Right after she kissed you. It was the reason me and Sirius have been laughing almost nonstop,” Remus explained, clearly finding this situation funny.

“Oh Merlin, I guess I zoned out after the kiss! I have to go ask her,” James said, racing towards the stairs.

“Prongs, wait!” Remus exclaimed, barely holding back another round of laughs. “What?” James asked impatiently, dying to go talk to Lily. “If you want to impress her, try putting on some pants.” James looked down to find he was only in his boxers. Blushing, he quickly threw on clothes and grabbed the Marauders Map before running off to find Lily.

/\/\/\/\

Running through the corridors while following the map, he found her in the library, reading a book. “Lily,” James said, out of breath from running all the way here.

“Yes?” she said, looking up from her book.

“Will you go to the dance with me?” he asked, looking into her eyes. Thinking hard about it, Lily smiled.

“I’d be thrilled to with you, James. As long as you don’t bring Fire Whiskey.”
♠ ♠ ♠
WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's all over on this site for this story. oh well, it's not like I don't have any other stories. Hehe.