Model Behavior

F.N.T. (Fascinating New Thing)

Phoenix spent her sixth hour library aide classing learning the layout of St. Joe's massive library. After spending so much time with one her favorite things - books - she was calm and quiet. Especially calm, considering her...show at lunch.

The bell for seventh hour rang as Phoenix sat down in her Intermediate French class. Ryan slid into the seat in front of her and turned around. "What was that all about?" he asked.
Phoenix arched an eyebrow. "To what are you referring to?"
As Ryan was about to respond, Mme. Lecroix asked Phoenix to introduce herself - and in French, of course. Phoenix had heard all the rumors about how tough and exacting their French teacher was. So she stood up and did so in a perfect Parisian accent. Mme. Lecroix looked astonished as the students all started whispering about how her French was better than the teacher's. Phoenix shrugged, smiled and sat back down.
Class resumed, and Ryan never had a chance to ask his question. So as soon as class was over, he cornered Phoenix. "How do you feel about skipping gym?" he asked.
"Why, Ryan! I never would have guessed you had such a wild streak." Phoenix said with a giggle. "If it involves not sweating, I'm in."

As they snuck out a back stairway, Phoenix asked Ryan, "How did you know what class I had?"
He grinned sheepishly. "I peeked in the system. Benefit of working in the office."
That idea was cute, coming from him, but a little worrisome. If it was that easy to get into the school's system, it would be easier for the tabloids to find her. But she would worry about that another day.

The two bought gelato from a vendor and sat in a sidewalk cafe not far from St. Joe's. "So about my earlier question..." Ryan said. "Who was that guy from lunch?"
"Xander? He's a friend of mine. We used to...run in the same circles, I guess. That's about the best way to put it."
"Oh." Ryan said, looking confused.
"It's complicated." Phoenix said, making matters worse. "But, since we're together...let's do some French homework!"
Ryan groaned at her enthusiasm.

But an hour later, he started to understand the material. Phoenix made it seem so easy, and the pressure for perfection wasn't there like it was in Mme. Lecroix's classroom. As they wrapped up that day's homework, Phoenix's phone rang. It was her father, in quite the tizzy.
"Young lady, where are you?" he asked impatiently.
"Eating gelato and tutoring. Why?"
"I came to pick you up and you weren't there!"
"Sorry. No need to worry - no psychos caught me today!"
"Not funny, Fee."
Phoenix rolled her eyes. She thought it was pretty witty. "Dad, I'll get a ride or take the subway. Calm down."
"Phoenix! Not the subway. Call me first."
"Fine. I won't experience such a staple of New York City life."
"Don't get snarky. And let me know next time you decide to cut gym class for gelatos."
"Dad!" Phoenix said with a shocked laugh. "Fine. Bye."

Phoenix looked up to see Ryan studying her. "What?" she asked, wide-eyed.
"You seem so familiar, yet you act nothing like what I was expecting. It's weird."
"Good weird or bad weird?" she asked.
"Definitely good. I'm tired of the - no offense - Gossip Girl clones with Daddy's plastic and too much time on their hands."
"Aren't you old money though?"
Ryan blushed. "Yes, but I try to act human every once and a while." he said drily.
"Oh, yes. That human business gets so boring." Phoenix said with a lofty wave of her hand.
Ryan laughed at her outrageousness. "So who are you, Phoenix Rutherford?"
"Please, call me Fee. All my friends do." she said with a wry smile. "I'm half-British, and the posh totty accent comes out when I get mad. I love books and gelato and old movie marathons. I hate super long party nights and country music. I'm politically indifferent. And my favorite color is blue. Anything else you want to know?"
"Why'd you come to New York?"
"My dad is here. And my mom and I...."
"Let me guess - it's complicated."
Phoenix laughed. "Exactly. So tell me all about yourself, Ryan Pennington."
"The third." At Phoenix's raised eyebrows, he rolled his eyes. "Exactly. So dreary, being the third. I like film noir and murder mystery novels, afternoons in hammocks and I might have a crack-like addiction to Altoids. I hate green beans and riding the subway still scares me."
"I feel like you need a quality nickname. Like Three. No wait, you're not a Three. How about Ry?"
"I'm okay with that." Ryan said with a nod. He glanced at his watch. "Shit, I have family dinner in an hour. I hate to run, but..."
Phoenix nodded. "I understand. Want to split a taxi?"

So they did. He was dropped off first, and as he handed Phoenix fare money, he grabbed her hand. "Thanks for the help, Fee."
"No prob, Ry. See you tomorrow."
As he jogged up the steps to his family's townhouse, Phoenix admired the view he offered. If only....