Status: Away on Study Leave...be back soon!

Shooting Stars And Chemistry

"Fabulous"

“Hi.” Alyssa breathed out quietly.

“Hi.” Was all Joe was capable of responding with.

It seemed as if our two heroes could not muster up the courage to speak to one another. A more awkward greeting would be impossible to imagine friends. Let us continue with the story however, and see how Becca manages to save the day…

Jumping up from her semi-slumbering position at the couch, Becca could see that her friend looked as pale as a sheet. It was almost as if a ghost had knocked upon the door and not a ridiculously good looking guy.

“Hey there, um, I’m Becca. Can I help you?”

Becca looked expectantly into the young mans face, he seemed to recognize her as an authority in the house and snapped out of his concentration on Alyssa.

“Yes ma’am I am, is it inconvenient for me to be here now?” the man spoke slowly, his words accented thickly with a southern accent.

“No, not at all, I just wasn’t expecting you for another few days. Would you like to come in?”

Becca pushed her friend out of the doorway to let the man in. He stood awkwardly at the door, but he had no hunch that men of the city would assume in situations like this. He stood, staunchly, even though the tension around him could be sliced cleanly with a butter knife.

“Perhaps my friend Alyssa would like to make us some coffee?” Becca asked, hinting heavily at Alyssa to leave the room.

“That would be lovely ma’am, but I would prefer to have no coffee. Could I trouble you for a glass of water instead?”

Alyssa nodded her head mutely at him and shuffled off to the kitchen. Becca showed the man into the living room, where the DVD had returned to the main menu and the same refrain (Greased Lightning) was playing over and over again, and then excused herself to assist Alyssa in the kitchen.

“What the hell was that?” asked Becca as soon as she was out of earshot of the man.

“What was what?” replied Alyssa, her hands fumbling with the powdered instant coffee.

“You and the Southern Gentleman? You practically stood there gaping like fish at each other! You better tell me how you know him and tell me fast!”

“Okay okay!” cried Alyssa, throwing her hands up in defeat, managing to throw powdered coffee over herself as she yelled.

After telling Becca about the incident on the train she stood back and waited for the rebuff that she was expecting from her.

“Wow. I mean really, wow. Why on earth didn’t you tell me about this before?”

Alyssa was taken aback by Becca’s enthusiasm for the man she barely knew, but continued talking anyway.

“Well, I didn’t really think I would need to. I mean, it’s not like I was in any danger in the train. It was just, you know, nice to be looked after and I was planning on keeping it to myself. But then “poof!” he appears out of nowhere to rent your spare room?!”

Becca started to smirk, looking at her friends agitated state. She wasn’t completely stupid so she managed to decipher the meaning behind the flailed coffee powder.

“You like him don’t you?”

“Wh-what? I barely know the guy for goodness sake! You really think that little of me?!”

Becca simply smirked, made the drinks and returned to the living room, leaving a flustered Alyssa behind.

*

“So, how is it that you came all the way to N-Y-C?” Becca pressed.

We use the word “pressed” here people, as Becca, apart from being a competent body reader, she wanted to complete her own psycho-analysis of this man “Joe” before she let him board in her house.

This psycho-analysis had been running for near on an hour, and Grease had played on the screen for a distracted Alyssa to pretend to watch, so she could eavesdrop on the conversation.

“Well, I needed to get away you see ma’am. I found myself in a rather hopeless situation in Tennessee so I decided it was time for a change. My presence was causing more trouble than not.”

Becca noted the way Joe looked down at his clasped hands as he said that. She felt sympathy for him as she could tell that he was hiding more hurt than he was willing to show.

“I have made up my mind Joe,” he looked hopefully up at her, “You may stay as long as you need to. I won’t expect any rent out of you for this week, but I will expect payment from next week and every fortnight from then on until you wish to move out. That is, if Alyssa doesn’t mind you staying.” Becca trailed off as she spoke, her head turning slyly at Alyssa.

As if snapping out of a reverie, Alyssa focused her eyes and mumbled a short, “Okay” and Becca smiled.

“Fabulous. Would you like me to show you your room?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, well I know that this was a short chpater, it was more of a filler than anything, but the next will be better and longer!
Hope you enjoyed it anyways!

=)