Care-Bear

Chapter 2

In the morning, my alarm didn’t go off at 7:00 because it was packed, but at about 7:15 AM, Kelsey and Sam’s screaming woke me. I ran to their room and saw them in front of the mirror. Kelsey had a really weird look on her face. Like she liked her new appearance, but she didn’t know how it happened.

“Do you like it?” I asked.

“I had a dream that you led me into the bathroom, dyed my hair, and did something to my eyes. At least I thought it was a dream,” Kelsey said to the mirror.

“I had the same dream.” Sam said.

“Well it wasn’t a dream, what do you think of me?” I asked them.

“Ummmmmmm…” Kelsey and Sam just stared at me. Not the reaction I had expected. Sam finally talked.

“Ummm… Who are you?” She asked.

“Kerri, Care-Bear…” I was cut off.

“Gorgeous.” Kelsey interrupted.

“Thanks.” I said excitedly. We were gonna make the best of our situation that I was sure of. I took a shower and blew dry my new hair so it looked extra crisp. I did really dark eyeliner and mascara with a glittery silver eye shadow. I had unpacked all of Kelsey, Sam, and my clothes and put our clothes in bags because I realized we had major money now. Then I put the boxes away and put the bagged clothes by the curb for good-will pick-up. When the twins saw that they flipped. I was putting lip-gloss on when Kelsey barged into the bathroom.

“What the hell did you do with all of our clothes?” She asked.

“Watch your mouth and we’re all getting new ones!” I said.

“We don’t have enough money to even get new cellphones.”

“Yes we do.” I explained all about the bank account and the safe.

“Oh my god. I don’t get it. Makeovers, new clothes. New life, much?” Sam asked.

“We have to let the people at our new home know that we are the new It girls and not to mess with us.” I said darkly.

“Oh.”

“Aunt Tina’s taking care of Deryk, Dad can take care of himself, so the million is ours.” I said.

“Okay.” The twins said in unison.

Then Kelsey got into the shower as I put on big giant silver hoops that were my mom’s from her teenage years. I put on a pair of faded jeans and threw on a white camisole. I added on an orange hoodie and slipped on a pair of white flip-flops just as the doorbell rang. It was Aunt Tina and a u-haul. When she saw me she wasn’t surprised at my appearance because she had only met me once and that was when I was a little baby. Deryk was up and ready when I showed the movers his room. When I saw him, he made a cute face, pointed at his hair, and gave me a thumbs-up. I guess that meant he liked it.

When everything was loaded into the truck and everyone gathered in the dining room, no one knew what to say. After a long period of silence, Aunt Tina told Deryk to say bye to his sisters.

“Bye Care-Bear, bye Kelsey the Melsey, bye Sam who likes ham.” He said. It was a long-standing joke between us. Then we hugged and laughed and cried. Good thing I wore waterproof mascara! Once we promised to see him at Halloween, they left. Once the door was shut behind them, the twins and I went into the family room where our dad was sleeping on the couch. I bent down and kissed him on the forehead. Kelsey and Sam did the same.

“Bye daddy. I love you.” Kelsey and Sam said in unison.

“Bye old man. See you later.” I said as I walked into the kitchen with the twins on my tail. We ate pop tarts and watched the morning news. Then Katie called and said she was on her way over Just then I remembered my dad was leaving too. So the three of us quickly ran upstairs and split up. Sam grabbed a smaller bag and did his toiletries, while Kelsey and I packed his clothes. I grabbed eight shirts and threw them to Kelsey who folded them and put them in his suitcase. I took seven pairs of pants and seven pairs of shorts and threw them to Kelsey as well. I grabbed eight pairs of socks and eight pairs of underwear and loaded them. When the doorbell rang I yelled for Kelsey to get his shoes and ran downstairs. I opened the door and it was Katie.

“Come on in,” I said.

“Umm… Is Kerri here or did she already leave?” Katie asked.

“She’s here. Hey Brianna, Kelly, come here! I’m Rebecca by the way.” I said, deciding to play with her and used our middle names.

“Okay. I’m Katie and if you don’t mind me asking…” Kelsey interrupted her.

“Hey Katie!” Kelsey or Brianna yelled.

“Hey.” Sam or Kelly said.

“Whoa, how do you know my name and are you triplets?” Katie asked.

“Um… Yeah were triplets, I think, and I heard you say your name.” Kelsey said in an obvious voice once she caught my glance.

“Oh. Where are Kerri, Kelsey, and Sam?” Katie asked.

“Upstairs there is a hint.” I said signaling the twins.

“Okay.” Katie said as she hesitantly started to walk upstairs behind me. Kelsey and Sam followed her up. I directed her to the bathroom where I emptied the trash onto the floor. It took her a second but finally Katie put two and two together.

“Oh my gosh! KELSEY, SAM,… KERRI?!?!?” Katie screamed.

“In the flesh.” I answered her smugly.

“OH MY GOD!!!” Katie shouted then she screamed, “You have got to be kidding me!”

“No, we got complete makeovers, courtesy of Kerri Inc.” Kelsey said.

“Wait, you did this?” Katie asked me, calming down, but not completely.

“Yeah why?” I asked her.

“You did an amazing job. I just wanted to say goodbye, but I feel as if I don’t even know you. Anyway, I brought presents for you guys. Oh my gosh, I still can’t believe it.” Katie muttered as she handed Kelsey and Sam each two boxes and three to me. We each had a kind of small box and a bigger box. Then I had a long and skinny box, “Go ahead, open the bigger ones first.”

Kelsey opened her big box and a small pink tee fell out. It said ‘You do things your way and I’ll do them mine.’ Then underneath that was three teddy bears each holding a cellphone, two plain and one with a sparkly pink cover. Sam got a small blue tee that said the same thing, but instead of cellphones, one had underwear on her head, and the two other bears had them on right. They were adorable. I got a small orange camisole that said ‘I heart CA’ and a dark blue American Eagle hoodie in my big box.

In our smaller boxes were cellphone covers. They were made especially for Dare's and the three of us had EnV’s. Kelsey’s cover was a sparkly pink and it had a charm hanging off of it of a tennis ball and a little figurine of two girls hugging. Then Sam’s cover was a sparkly blue and it had a charm hanging off of it too of a soccer ball and the same figurine as Kelsey. Mine was a really cute orange color and it had a charm of a volleyball, a figurine of a little cat, and a miniature picture of Katie and I. They were extra cute but when we pointed out that we had EnV’s and they were for Dare's, Katie laughed and pulled three Dare's out of her purse. Two black ones for the twins and an orange one for me. Then she showed us her phone and it was an orange Dare with a dark purple cover and a charm just like mine!

Then I remembered my skinny box. I opened that and there was two bracelets. The one bracelet was silver and wide. It was really cute, but the second one really got my attention. It was a charm bracelet and it was full of pictures. There was a picture of my mom and my dad together when they found out she was pregnant with Deryk. Then there were pictures of Kelsey, Sam, and Deryk. There was a picture of our old pets. Two cats, Erin and Ester, and a dog, Cody, that we gave away after my mom died. After that was a cute picture of Katie and me, then the rest was pictures of my other friends. I slipped both of them on and realized I was crying. I hugged Katie and then hugged Kelsey and Sam. I figured out why I felt weird. Now that we were leaving, I had time to mourn and I missed my mom. There wasn’t time for more tears though, the doorbell rang and it was child services.

“Oh my gosh, they’re here. Pull yourselves together.” I said to Katie, Kelsey, and Sam who were now crying. I wiped my eyes and jogged downstairs. I answered the door and it was the same man as two days ago. Katie told us she was going to miss us and that we better come home for Christmas or she was going to hurt us. Then she left and I turned to the Child Services man.

“Nice makeover.” He said.

“And you are…?” I asked him ignoring his sarcastic comment.

“I am Patrick Meanager with Child Services. Come on, how much stuff do you all have. We’ve got a private jet waiting for you courtesy of your mother’s will. Your dorms each have a bed, a desk, and a place to put your clothes, so you don’t need any of them. Are you ready? Show these men to your rooms. Twins' first.” Patrick said.

“Wow, you rented a private jet for us?” Kelsey asked.

“No, your grandmother owned one and your mother inherited it so when your mother died, you got it. Your mother wanted you to be treated with the highest respect if this ever happened. When she inherited the 15 million dollars, she left 5 million to her husband, your father, and the rest to her four children. You. Her sister, your aunt, also inherited 15 million dollars, so the bank figured she’ll take care of Deryk with that money, your father can take care of himself with his money, and you get the rest. Sound good?” Patrick asked.

“10 million dollars? I thought there was just one million in the bank account.” I said amazed.
“In that account there is, but when you’re in Spain, you can’t access that account, that’s your fathers. The 10 million dollars, yours, is in bank account 6789 in Spain. Now Sam, show these gentleman movers your room.” Patrick said. I remembered that my mother used to tell me a joke that went ‘why was six afraid of seven?’ The answer was because seven eight nine, but eight was like ate. Now I understood why it was her favorite. I still couldn’t shake the fact that it seemed like my mother knew this was gonna happen.

“Okay, this way.” Sam said in shock as she led the movers to Kelsey and her room. Patrick, Kelsey, and I moved out of the doorway so the movers could escort our luggage into the u-haul. Once they were done their room, Sam and Kelsey showed them mine. Between our entire luggage, it didn’t even full up half of the u-haul.

“Looks like you have no clothes.” Patrick said to me.

“Well when I saw the bank account, I decided we should all get new clothes except for some of our favorite pieces. The twins and I have no idea what the style is there, so we decided we’d get a look around, then go on a major shopping spree, if that’s okay.” I answered Patrick.

“Fine by me.” Patrick said as a woman got out of the car. She walked up to Patrick and me and slapped him on the head.

“Patrick, how dare you!” She said in an Spanish accent, then she turned to me, “Hello, my name is Susan Meanager. I am Patrick’s younger sister. I am one of the most well dressed women in Spain and I know all about fashion. Maybe we could stop by my boutique and look around a little bit. If Patrick says we’re allowed of course.” Susan said.

“Sure. Her boutique is only 15 minutes away from the school, I’m sure Eskabol would be okay with stopping there.” Patrick said.

“You wouldn’t want to show up to school with no clothes and then show up hours later with big shopping bags. We can even get you some nice suitcases to put everything in. This is going to be so much fun.” Susan said excitedly. I think she just wanted the money.

“Okay, in the car everyone.” Eskabol, Patrick’s driver said. We all got into the car and drove to the LA airport. We loaded all of our bags on the jet and got in it. It was so comfortable. There were nice leather couches facing each other and an 82-inch TV was on the back wall. If you went into a door on the side of the TV, there was an awesome bathroom and if you went into the door on the other side of the TV, there was a hallway. There were three doors you could choose. They were all bedrooms. In the first and second ones there were two double beds, two desks, and two desk lamps. Then in the last one was a queen sized bed, a desk, a lamp, a cat bed, a litter box, and cat bowls with water and food. Patrick said the first bedroom was his and Susan’s, the second room was the twins and the last room was mine. I was confused because we didn’t have a cat.

Eskabol was the pilot and he told us to all get buckled on the couches. When I sat down a little orange kitty jumped onto my lap. I asked about it and Patrick said it was the style for everyone to have a cat in Spain. I named her Katie since the real Katie couldn’t come to the boarding school with me. After about 8 hours of sketching and watching movies, I was really hungry so I went into the mini fridge and got a wrap out of there and shared it with Katie.

Then I went into my room and laid Katie down in her bed, then got into my sweatpants and laid down on the bed. It was so soft and I fell asleep very quickly. I hadn’t even realized I was tired.

“KERRI! WAKE UP! WE”RE LANDING!” Kelsey and Sam yelled in unison. Katie was curled up next to me and growled at Sam when she reached for me.

“Why?” I asked them.

“For a re-fueling session and a pick-up or whatever the pilot said.” Kelsey answered me.
“Oh.” I said. Then I got up and went into the main room. I just stood there with Katie in my arms until Patrick came out and poured water on my head.

“Wake up.” He said.

“OH MY GOD!” I screamed. Katie jumped out of my arms yowling and I took off my hoodie, then took off my camisole. Then I realized I was standing in front of a guy wearing my bra. I got really mad so I just sat down and got buckled, laying my clothes out on the floor. Although on the bright side I noticed those sit-ups had done their work, my abs were perfect. Once we landed, I took my clothes and ran outside. It was really hot outside so I laid my clothes on the ground once I made sure the ground was clean. When I looked up there were three guys a little older than me standing there staring.