Curiousity Killed the Cat

Panic Stricken

“You ready, Elyse?” Ashlyn asked, snapping me out of panic mode. Oh yes, I was in panic mode, me, the one who was in Azkaban for two years. Can you blame me? I had never really had a crush on a guy nor have I ever gone on a date or to a dance and I chose to do two of these things at the same time, only at the biggest event of the year? I must be mental.

“Yeah,” I said, sliding my wand under my dress. Before you ask, all the others girls had one, which was a garter with a little loop though it to put your wand in, but mine was strictly for safety. I had a feeling that some of the other girls were, uh, using it for their personal use.

I followed Ashlyn out of the dormitory and we left the house, walking down the hallway and making our way to the Great Hall, where she’d meet her date, Terry Boot, and I’d meet Harry. We were about halfway there (we would have gone faster but I had a bit of trouble walking in these heels) when I stopped.

“Ashlyn, I don’t think I can do this,” I said, panic mode starting to sink in. I wasn’t nearly as panic stricken as I was leading on but I had a feeling most girls were like this. It would help me ‘blend in’ more.

“Oh, Elyse, don’t worry! Harry’s a nice guy! You’ll be fine!” Ashlyn said, a dreamy look on her face. She was a hardcore romantic, what can I say. “I’m kind of disappointed I wasn’t with him, no offense. I mean, to be with a champion and get to have that dance! Oh how romantic…!”

I froze. “What dance?”

Ashlyn blinked. “The champions dance.”

“What. Dance.”

“You know, the champions dance? Where the three, well four, champions and their partners dance in front of everyone. You didn’t know?” Ashlyn explained, eyeing me carefully.

“Now, I really can’t do this,” I said, more nervous than before. I couldn’t dance, although now it makes more sense why all the students had to do those annoying dance classes. But I assumed it wasn’t going to be just the champions and their partners!

“Elyse,” Ashlyn said, gripping my shoulder. She was stronger than she looked. “You are going to this because it is the Yule Ball and you are going with Harry-freakin-Potter.”

I nodded my head slowly. Ashlyn was quite frightening at sometimes.

“Good! Now lets go before Terry freaks and starts thinking I ditched him or something!” she said, her voice the normal cotton-candy fluff as it was before. We walked down the stairs, which I didn’t fall down, and walked down the hallway leading to yet another flight of stairs. I must admit, I was slowly getting the hang of walking in these deathtrap heels.

“Terry!” Ashlyn shrieked when she felt a pair of arms snake around her waist. She turned around and nearly jumped into his arms. I saw Hermione waving over at me and looked back at Ashlyn.

“I’ll see you later, Ash,” I said before jogging, well speed walking in those damn heels, over to Hermione, who looked beautiful.

“Oh my God, Hermione! You look…wow,” I said, looking at her amazing periwinkle dress. She blushed and commented my dress. We walked into the Great Hall together, both of us seemed to be looking for our dates. I saw Cho with Cedric; both of them seemed to flashing smile in that ‘Couple of the Century’ way. The sad part was, that they probably were perfect for each other.

“Good evening, Miss Grander and Miss Black,” Professor Dumbledore said, a small smile hidden on his face. “I assume everything is alright, Miss Black?”

“As of the moment, yes, Professor,” I replied, nodding my head ever so slightly towards Professor Moody, who had just arrived.

“Have a good time, girls,” he said before heading off to Professor Moody.

“What was that about?” Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow.

I opened my mouth but was thankfully stopped by someone else. “Oh, Miss Granger! Miss Black! You two look quite lovely!” Professor Flitwick said, hurrying over to us.

“Good evening, Professor,” both me and Hermione said. He gave us another compliment before rushing over to break a couple, who was rather close, apart.

“Maybe Viktor ditched me…” Hermione muttered to herself, although it did no go unnoticed.

“Hermione! He could have went with any other girl but he picked you, didn’t he?” I asked smugly.

She blushed. “Yes.”

“Then there you have it!” I said, smiling.

“Have what?” a voice from behind me said, causing me to twirl around and nearly kill myself on these heels. I looked up only to have come face to face with none other than my date.

“Nothing!” Hermione said, her blush growing.

I looked up at Harry and glared in a somewhat playful way. “You didn’t tell me about this ‘champions dance’.”

“I didn’t think it was that big of a deal.”

“You thought wrong.”

“It’ll be fun? You look beautiful, by the way.”

I blushed. He had me at a loss for words there. “Fine. You win.”

He smiled, causing my heart a beat a bit faster. “Come on, I see Professor McGonagall glaring at us.”

Harry grabbed my hand and led me though the crowd, ignoring the stares we got. Actually, I was getting more stares than Harry was to be honest. We soon found Professor McGonagall waving at more impatiently and hurried though the crowd, not wanting to annoy her.

“Ah Potter! Nice to see you’ve found a partner,” she said, looking at me, “follow me. The champions dance should be starting soon.”

I felt more panic sink in. I couldn’t dance. I couldn’t do this in front of everyone. Harry squeezed my hand in a comforting way, causing me to blush a bit. I’m sure Sirius is probably having a field day, thinking of Harry and me. I’ll have to remind myself to punch him next time I see him.

About ten minutes later, we were all lined up, ready to begin this hell. Hermione and Viktor was smiling at each other, while Fleur and her date seemed like they were trying very hard not to jump each other and Cho and Cedric were just holding hands. I felt like a third wheel and I’m sure Harry did too, seeing as we were the only, er, couple to not be acting all lovey dovey.

“Why did I agree to go with you, again?” I whispered to Harry as the music began to start.

He gave me a lop-sided grin. “I think you know the answer to that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the comments and subcribers! Keep it up!
Tell me whatcha think!