Eyeliner and Sharpie Marks

Prologue

“Gee, look at your boy,” Frank giggled pointing at Gerard’s son who was scribbling on the floor with a bright red sharpie, blabbing with glee.

Gerard’s eyes grew wide and he raced over, trying to pry the sharpie from the boy’s hands. “Ace, mommy will be very upset with daddy if you continue with your drawings all over the newly polished floor….” He whispered in a sing song voice. Ace screeched when Gerard tried peeling the sharpie from his hands. “Aceyboy, sharpies aren’t for babies.”

Gerard gave up and let go and Ace went on scribbling on the floor, singing merrily to himself in a blur of gibberish. Gerard sat down on the floor; pulling Ace in between his legs and watching him draw.

Frank looked around and found his son on the floor crawling around like the cat was doing trying to make cat noises. He picked up his hand and licked it. Frank smiled widely and walked over to his son, scooping him up in his arms, kissing his forehead. “Hey baby boy…” he whispered softly, walking over to Gerard and sitting next to him, holding his son on his lap.

“Ace is the next Picasso and Moxxie thinks he’s a kitty. Greatttt,” Gerard teased, running his hands through Ace’s think black hair.

Frank pointed at Gerard’s pants and Gerard noticed the red marker drawn on them. He rolled his eyes and sighed, shaking his head, not stopping the little boy from making his pants a wreck. Moxxie pointed at the marker and ‘gah’-ed softly.

Frank leant over kissing Gerard’s cheek softly with a gentle smile. Gerard put his hand on Frank’s thigh. “Jamia oughta be home soon Frank. Your wife ain’t going to be happy about this.”

“The floor’s fine, Gee… your wife will mind more than mine-“

“Us. She doesn’t want us together Frankie. “Gerard sighed looking back down at his son. Ace put the sharpie down and poked Moxxie’s forehead and Moxxie moved so he could lick Ace’s arm. Frank smiled then looked back at Gerard, both the boys looking up at them. He leant in and pressed his lips to Gerard’s then pulled back, scooping up Moxxie in his arms.

“Time for bed kiddo,” he said embracing across his chest. Moxxie leant out at Ace and Frank smiled. “Moxxie’s got a crush, Gee….”

“Ace is to mature for baby flings,” Gerard teased finally sneaking the sharpie from Ace as ace used his leather jacket to help him stand up.

“Moxxie wouldn’t be a fling. Moxxie would be his baby,” Frank teased sticking his tongue out at Gerard and walking away to put Moxxie to sleep.

Gerard picked up Ace and faced him towards him. “Moxxie’s a good looking baby, ain’t he?” Gerard teased. “No, no, I can tell. You won’t like boys. You’re going to be an artist. What’s frank know anyway, huh? Is he suddenly a baby whisperer?”

Ace smiled and made a laughing noise, reaching out at Gerard’s long black hair. Gerard smiled along with his son and brought him back down onto his lap. “Mommy’ll be mad you’re still awake. Aren’t you just a little bit tired?” he sighed, watching the baby boy crawl down from his lap and started on his way to the living room table. He pulled himself up and pointed at Gerard suddenly with a squeal of glee.

Gerard stood up and picked up Ace, Lindsey walking into the room with a grand smile on her face. Gerard shrugged back into his jacket and gave a weak smile.

“How’s my baby boy?” She whispered to Ace kissing his forehead. “Trystan? Trystan?” She cooed and shook her head. “He doesn’t know his name Gerard, babies are supposed to know their name by now,” she scorned shaking her head.

Gerard hugged him closer to his chest and Ace let out a farting noise from his mouth. Lindsey smiled really big and ran her fingers back through his hair.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed by now, buggy?” She whispered and Gerard smiled and cradled his body in one arm and ran his other hand over his tummy, watching him giggle.

“He can’t sleep, Linds. I’ve tried everything. I think he just wants to be up with daddy right now,” Gerard said gently looking down at the baby boy and using his index finger to tickle his stomach. “Don’t you Ace,” he grinned.

“Gerard, we want him to get used to his name, Trystan. Not some stupid nickname you and Frank came up with,” Lindsey frowned shaking her head angrily.

“That’s what he wants to be called. And it is his name. Trystan Ace Arthur Way. He won’t respond to Trystan,” Gerard mumbled, getting upset with his wife. He knew what he wanted to do with his son.

“You didn’t give a special nickname to your daughter. Helena’s still Helena,” Lindsey scoffed.

“Helena’s 4, and sleeping. So, don’t be so loud mommy,” Gerard mumbled shaking his head.

Lindsey gave Gerard a stern look and hustled out of the room.

Gerard smiled and looked at Ace who was finally yawning. “Let’s make you a bottle and we can go lay down in my room baby….”