Nothing's Really Ever What It Seems

Chapter 9

Sam's POV

After getting out of the shower, I stand in my closet wondering what I should wear tonight. Marc said it would be casual, probably knowing I'm not into the big fancy scene too much. I grab a pair of dark wash skinny jeans, a plaid button up and a pair of converse before taking it out to my bed and tossing it there. I take my hair out of the towel it was in before, drying it a little, just enough to get all the drops of water off of it. I head into the bathroom and apply light make up, basically a little blush and a little mascara before flipping my hair to one side, braiding it loosely so it falls over one shoulder, strands hanging down around my face. I throw my clothes on quickly before heading downstairs.

I come down the stairs with enough energy and excitement that I catch Sid's eye, who is in the kitchen making himself something to eat. He looks up at me, probably wondering what I'm up to. I walk through the kitchen toward the refrigerator to grab a water, him watching me the entire way.

"What are you doing?" he finally asks.

"I'm going out with a friend," I answer as I hear a car pull up in the drive way.

"Are you gonna be late?" he calls after me as I grab my purse and make my way to the door.

"I don't know," I reply with a smile before disappearing into the night.

Sid's POV

She practically comes bouncing down the stairs, and I know that that can only mean she's up to no good. I watch as she walks toward me, not saying anything. I almost think she's still holding a grudge from last night, but she gives me her normal danger-filled smile, so I know we are far past that.

After she says she's going out with a friend and exits the room, I peak my head around the corner and can't help but feel hurt at what I see. Marc's car, parked in my driveway. Lovely. I watch from afar through the front window, watching as she pulls him into a hug and then into a quick kiss, making my heart sink a little. I stand where I am, completely shocked. I watch as she laughs, her face brightening and making me wish I was the one that was causing that, not him.

Suddenly loosing my appetite and needing to get out of the house, I slip my shoes on before heading out the back door, needing to clear my mind but needing to stay clear of them too.

I head down the path I've created in the wooded area behind my house by running it millions of mornings in a row. Normally, I would set out at a good even pace, wanting my body to wake up in a sense before going to practice. Not this time. No, this time, I head off at a dead sprint, loving the way all I can think about now is the way my blood is pumping through my veins, adrenaline having taken over a good distance ago. I start to feel the burning in my chest that tells me I'm pushing myself to my limits, but yet all it makes me do is run faster, try harder and to push back.

I've taken a morning run every morning for as long as I can remember. My parents insisted that the early bird gets the worm while I was growing up, and it's just been habit to wake up early since. Most of the time, these little runs are peaceful, a good chance for me to clear my mind. Not tonight.

When it feels like my lungs are going to explode they are burning so hard, I finally come to a stop, bending over and resting my hands on my knees, letting my head hang. Adrenaline comes halting to a stop, making visions of earlier flash back into my memory. No, tonight in general is going to be anything but peaceful.

I start walking back toward my house, realizing that I didn't even notice I ran by where I normally stop and turn around. The long walk back gives me plenty of time to think, something I am completely dreading right now. If there is one thing I wish I could avoid right now, it would definitely be thinking in general.

I never believed in the phrase you don't know what you have until it's gone until now, which is ironic because technically she was never mine in the first place, but damn it, she should have been.

I always told myself that I would worry about settling down after the Cup, but that time came a long time ago, and I still find myself alone. It's not that I didn't meet an enormous amount of equally wonderful women in that time frame, but I already had mapped out the perfect woman for me in my mind, I just hadn't realized it yet. Sam.

I had already decided she was what I wanted. That's why none of the girls ever summed up to what I wanted, no needed them to be. She's irreplaceable.

It makes sense now, all of it does. A lot of people say you end up marrying your best friend when you grow up. When we were little and she would tag along, it never bothered me like it would have a large number of other boys. She was one of us, so to speak. I looked out for her, and she confided in me in return. I always thought I was just looking out for her, watching her back, but oh, was I wrong. I wasn't protecting her for her own sake, I was subconsciously protecting her for mine, not wanting anybody else to have her, but not laying claim to her either.

All of my idiotic mistakes set aside leave me where I am tonight, walking into an empty house with no one there to greet me while the woman I care deeply for is out with another man, my own teammate of all people. Sighing as I enter my house, I go straight for the liquor cabinet and grab the JD, after all, it could be a damn long night.