Surveillance, Surviving, and Falling in Love.

It Was All An Illusion.

Image

So this was the princess that my mother was friends with, the one who told her where the crown jewels were hidden. But why was she working at a clothing shop in the bad area of Spain? I asked her, and she explained. She told me that she had been sent in hiding, and had to change her identity to stay protected. There had been attempts on her life and her parents wanted her safe. She cut her hair short, and she went by Bella. She was living with the owners of the store, working to pay them back.

“Just call me Bella.” She replied when I asked her what I should call her by. “
Where is your mother?” Bella asked. I bit my lip.

“She’s…I don’t know where she is.” I replied, feeling the lump of tears caught in my throat. Bella put on a sympathetic look, and wrapped me in a hug, murmuring comforting phrases in Spanish.

“She’s a tough woman, bebe linda,” She whispered. “She’ll be okay until you find her again.” Bella took a step back, holding me by my shoulders, looking at me. “Why don’t you stay with me? I’m sure that Selena and Martin won’t mind.” She suggested.

I hesitated. I should be going and saving my mother and Jazz and Avery. But, on the other hand, I would need a place to stay, and the whole reason I was assigned to protect my mother was so she could protect Bella, and I could always do that while waiting to find my partners and family.

“Thank you very much. I think I will stay with you for now.” I answered, smiling a little. She grinned, and hugged me again. “Brilliant. Let me go tell Selena. Come with me.” She said, taking my wrist in her dainty fingers and leading me to the back of the shop.

Behind the silk curtains separating the store from what was behind it sat an older looking woman, around the age of 45, sitting in a chair and sewing some clothes. I felt a little guilty, because here I was in front of the owner of the shop wearing stolen clothes.

“Selena?” Bella said, poking her head in the little room. The lady looked up, and her face was a tanned brown, softened, a bit wrinkled around the edges. Her lips curved into a smile, crinkling the edges of her dark brown eyes.

“Hello, Bella.” She answered in Spanish. “Who is your friend?” Bella walked all the way into the room, and I followed her quietly.

“This is an old family friend, Selena. Her name is Pippa, and she needs a place to stay. Would it be alright if she stayed here?” She asked politely. I paused, and watched her reaction. Selena looked over at me, and examined me. I prayed that she wouldn’t notice that the clothes I was wearing were hers, but I’m sure she knew, if she made all of the clothes by hand like she was now.

“You are Pippa?” She asked in English. I nodded quickly.

“Yes ma’am. I can speak Spanish as well.” I said politely. Her eyes examined my face closer, and then she smiled.

“Of course she can stay, Bella. Any friend of yours is one of mine.” Selena turned to me then. “You don’t mind working here, do you? We could always use an extra hand.” I nodded quickly.

“Thank you, very much. I would love to work for you.” I said with a smile. She grinned.

“Good. Now, Bella, help her get set up upstairs, alright? Then you can rest for awhile, Pippa, and then we’ll put you to work.” She said, turning back to her sewing, silently letting us know we could go. Bella nodded, and walked out of the little room, me following. Bella led me up some stairs, into a nice looking flat. There were three rooms, a kitchen, and a small living room.

“Your room is this way,” She said, leading me to the small room near the back of the flat. I followed her quietly, taking in my surroundings. The room was nice, quaint. The bed was small, just big enough to fit me, and the closet had a few clothes hanging. I smiled.

“Thank you, for taking me in, and keeping me here.” I said, and Bella smiled.

“It’s the least I can do for you, Pippa. Your mother has done so much for me, I owe her this.” She said. “Come on, I bet you’re hungry. Let’s get some food in you before work.”

As if to accentuate her assumption, my stomach growled loudly. She laughed, throwing her head back. I chuckled.

“I guess I am hungry!” I said, following her into the kitchen. My thoughts wandered to Jazz, and I made a realization.

That plane explosion was only an illusion, which meant that everything that had happened after we were taken by the tough men was only a dream.

Which meant that what he said, when he said that he loved me, wasn’t real.

I felt like crying right there in the hallway between the kitchen and the living room.

It wasn’t real.

Jazz didn’t love me.

“Pippa, are you alright?” Bella asked softly, and I snapped my head up to look at her. Her dark brown eyes were filled with concern, and I nodded quickly, putting on a fake smile.

“I’m fine, I was just thinking.” She regarded me, not believing my lie. She said nothing, merely moving into the kitchen, bustling around for something to eat.

I sighed, praying silently that everyone was okay, wherever they were.