The Lemonade Stand

1.

I wish I studied last night.

I wish.

I wish.

I wish.

“Melanie!” Rowan called out as I stride past the halls, pushing against the people loitering and hanging around. “Mel!” He continued, his voice sounded as if he was countering the obnoxious morning turmoil.

Like that was even possible.

Sometimes, I wish that I was capable of becoming completely ignorant instead of seeing myself later on getting drool all over myself when I look at any hot boys. It’s completely simple because I just look and later on – voila! – A pile of drool right beside my feet. If not, I would’ve stared at this person and look like I’m going to kill him in an instant with my persistent eyes. Or probably just stalking. Okay, I know that this part was albeit anything but the truth.

But I can’t help but feel that I’m like that whenever Rowan’s around.

Nowadays, I don’t even want to go near him because of all the stupid things that I do whenever he’s around. So around midyear last year, I just decided to stop. After all, with all his parties and practices, he’s stopped finding ways to go out and hang with me. At first, I didn’t know what to do. After all, I was antisocial as a child and only had Rowan to begin with. But eventually, I learned that I can’t always have it my way.

I had to change.

I walked up to him slowly, like it wasn’t much of a big deal. I’ve actually mastered the art of not looking that I care, that I was ignorant and tough. Rule number 1: Don’t smile. “What is it?” I asked bluntly from far away, putting one of my hands on my hip. He didn’t answer.

I shrugged it off and focused my attention on an upcoming exam and I had to study. “Mels!” He shouted out again, I gave him ‘the’ look. I have no business with him so why should I? “Mels!” How persistent! I felt my teeth hitting hard against each other. “Here! Here!” He waved like an idiot and signaled me to come even closer, with a beautiful smile that was too hard to not come and resist.

And, were my assumptions wrong? Because last time I talked to him, I thought we were over. Gone! Poof!

Rowan?” I asked again, this time louder.

And this is the part when I get angry.

His eyes were caught on something else.

A bunch of cheerleaders walked past him, I know because I’ve seen them during one of Rowan’s practices cheering aimlessly over the score of their almighty God, they were focusing their eyes on him, gazing– which I must say look seductive and not suitable for anyone at our age. “Hey.” Rowan waved and smiled back. “You look good today, ladies.” They giggled then flashed their perfect smiles before completely walking away only for me to see one of them mouthing ‘Call Me!’ to Rowan.

“Rowan!” I yelled out near his ear. “What did you call me for?”

He snapped out from his reverie and looked at me. “Mels,” He sighed, taking out his Advanced Chemisty book before shutting the door back in. “What are your plans for this summer?”

Oh, just great.

I have an exam in 30, I mean 26 minutes, and the hottest boy in school, at least from my eyes, is talking to me about Summer when I’m about to fail 11th grade. Okay. This part I exaggerated too. If Rowan has the right to sports, I have the right to academics. I own the second spot to the highest grades in our batch. The first dude is a local math genius.

No comment. Nobody cares. Except for me, of course. Nobody, not even Rowan cares, ‘cept me. As always.

“Oh,” I said, coming out rather short. “I might just stay at home or get a job at Love Shack.” I tried not to sound that I wanted to spend more time with him before college. Rowan’s going to go study at Ohio for a Football scholarship.

And me? Ha! I’m taking Business.

Rowan looked at me with his perfect deep blue eyes. “That’s good to hear.” Rowan said as he took a bite off his sugarcoated bagel. “I’ve been thinking of getting a summer job too.” He pulled his backpack from the ground and wore it on his back. “Let’s apply together.” He said in a chipper manner that pulled me back from all the years I’ve known him.

That was the smile that kept me going forward without a single regret.

Why would this idiot want to suddenly start talking to me and now asking to apply with him to Love Shack? That’s preposterous and unacceptable! Ridiculous! Well, Melanie Penelope Johnson, you got what you’re bargaining for. My heart’s screaming, “The practical love and attention of whom your chemicals pointed you out for is now right there for you’re taking.”
Do whatever you want. Go crazy.

But instead, I took a silent deep breath. I stared at him and smiled – a fake one. “Row,” I said, feeling the emptiness inside then patted his shoulder. “It’s just not the same anymore.”

It’s okay. I’ve already gotten used to it.

I knew that this was just another plot, another chance to leave then hurt me on the long shot.

“Mels, don’t act so immature.” Rowan shook his head. “You know that I was just trying it out.”

“No, Rowan.” My heart thumped. “Bye.” I said as I walked away, not bothering to look back. I wanted him to think that I was different too. That it wasn’t only him that changed when he left me for the cheerleading and football team. I changed too.

And whether or not that change was for the good, was also another question.

***

Rowan was my bestfriend, or at least he used to be, ever since I was very young. Our mothers were both resident psychologists at the Harpertowne Medical Building and have been the best of friends ever since their college days. I guess you could say that it was predetermined that the two of us would end up being the best of friends as well. I never really did remember when we started hanging out.

I mean, it just became automatic.

All I can easily put together are the times that whenever I would go to the park, a shying hand would wave along with a high voice that called me to go to either to the swing and see-saw. No. He wasn’t the type who’d save me whenever I got bullied like the ones in the books. I never remembered any single time that he’d run and protect me. Instead, he would walk near and simply stare. This cycle kept walking on until I grew-up. I continued to cry and run all the way back home with sore eyes that hurt even more when I tried to stop.

You can say that he was pathetic.

But one day, three days after I turned 13, I went to the park to meet up with Rowan. The night before, he said that he’s giving me his big birthday gift tomorrow. Upon arriving to the park, Rowan waved and signaled me to come over.

“Ta-dah!” Rowan said with open arms. “Happy 13th!” He reached over and gave me a lemon.

I biked towards the park as fast as I could only to see a poorly made sign with painted letters boldly screaming ‘MelRow’s Lemonade Stand’ along with an embarrassingly made wooden stand that looked like it could’ve been better made with glue and tape rather than nailed.

I remember being a little disappointed. I pouted at the fact that he could’ve given me a much better gift like a bracelet or a book. Rowan has always been kind so I thought about being mature. So that was how I acted, or at least pretended.

All day during the summer holiday, we would manage the Lemonade Stand. Rowan would slice up the lemons then push them towards the juicer. I remember the first time I saw him do it; I would look amazed at the sight as the juice dropped to the container. He’d then mix them with some sugar and drop at least 3 ice cubes. All along the process, Rowan would look focus and centered.

Just like how he is now with his football stardom.

My job at the stand would be the cashier. Kids would give me all their dimes and I’d calculate all their earnings at the end of the day. I was surprised that I never got bored of this job. And Rowan didn’t either. It was like the two of us were programmed to do this job.

A lot of kids would buy from us at the park. Sometimes it would be the adults looking endearingly and say “What cute little businessmen!” They’d often give us a dollar and let us keep the change. At the end of the day, we’d share what we earned and buy popsicles or chocolates as we drank the leftover lemonade.

When summer was over, we stopped making Lemonade altogether. I didn’t know how it got destroyed. A week before school started, when I came to the park it was gone. But I continued to see lively Rowan. I never bothered to ask him about what happened to it. I just knew that when it was over, it wasn’t going to come back.

No matter how I forced it.

***

Three weeks after our encounter, there were only 2 days left of school. I have done my best to avoid Rowan at all cost, maybe because I was afraid that the next time I see him I’ll give in. I don’t know. But I did my best.

“Hey, Melanie!” Ginger, a friend of mine, called out waving the school’s weekly newspaper, almost crumpling it unreadable. “Have you heard the news?”

I took out my Advanced Biology book and shoved it inside my bag. This would be the last book that I’ll be taking home for this school year. How sad. I’m not actually looking forward to physics and graduation unlike some. “What news?” I asked. “You know that I don’t have time for this.” I said impatiently.

True. I have a shift later at the Love Shack. Oh, and no, Rowan never showed up.

“Rowan’s got kicked out of the team!” She boasted out, laughing. “Good news for you, Melanie! You got what you wanted!”

I felt a sudden twitch to my gut. I’ve always wanted Rowan to come back to his usual self so I thought that it was his football stardom’s fault. I blamed it on his sport and angry at him. I couldn’t help it because I was mad at him and needed an outlet.

“His grades were slipping, that’s why.” She said, swaying her finger at him. “Now he has to retake some classes during the summer.”

No wonder he didn’t apply at Love Shack.

“Where is he?” I asked using my ol’ I don’t care attitude. “What’s he doing now?”

“Nobody knows.” She rolled her eyes. What a freak. “He enrolled for the summer classes but he hasn’t showed up in school since.”

“Oh,” I said abruptly, choking the words. “Thanks for that.”

“No problem.” She said.

I walked away from her. And until now I’m still not sure whether I have the guts to see Rowan and thank God that He finally gave him back to me. Because I wasn’t even sure if Rowan would come back to me anyway.

***

The wind was blowing gently when I reached the park around 5. At this time, there would be no sign of life inside this neighborhood. This quite the custom here in Harpertowne, nobody came out after 6 so I started rushing back in my Love Shack uniform. (I forgot to bring a spare change!) Then I saw the old Farelane Park. All the memories come back to me as I walk towards it and remember, touching the flowers that I tried to water each and every day. They were now healthy and beautiful. How I wish that I watered them even more.

“Mels!” A voice called out. “What are you doing here?”

It was Rowan.

“I knew you’d be here.” I pretended that I understood that I was a psychic that could read his mind, enough for him to know that he’d be here. (When all I really was doing was admiring the park and reminisce. Ha!)

“So you know now,” Rowan’s voice faded at the end. I faced him and saw him – AFTER 3 WHOLE WEEKS! His hair was longer, now had bangs. He still had the same beautiful eyes that can make you stare innocently. He was still the same Rowan, only more muscular and healthy. “It’s embarrassing you see.” Rowan said, trying to hide the humiliation from his voice. “Getting kicked out while being the star player.” He walked away for a bit before stopping to look back at me. “Embarrassing!”

“No, it’s okay.” I sat on the swing. “I have my problems too.” I reached out to him with an official Love Shack tumbler, decorated in colorful hearts with wings.

“What’s this?” He asked.

“Just try it.”

He took a sip. “Lemonade?”

“Yeah.” I said smiling. Now Rowan sat on the swing beside me. I could feel my temperature rising. What would Rowan still want to see me for? “I made it in the Love Shack.” I said, looking away to hide the obvious and red blush on my face.

Rowan looked uncomfortable so I changed the subject. “I thought you’d apply so I joined in.” I joked. “Didn’t think you wouldn’t.” I said, the truth being sucked out off me. “We would’ve been a great team.”

Rowan took even more. “It’s good.” He said, looking at me with the cutest smile I’ve probably ever seen of him in forever. “It’s like the good ol’ days. Here in the park, working sweaty to the bones.” Rowan looked away. “I miss those days.”

“I know.” I said solemnly. “Like the good ol’ days.”

Some time passed before Rowan said something. He finished the whole tumbler as we watched the sun set. “Hey, Mels.” He asked. “Do you think there’s a spot there at the Love Shack for me?” Rowan lightly punched my shoulder. “I’m sure they’ll give us a good pay if they see our teamwork.

“I’m sure they will.”

Another five minutes have passed before anyone said anything. For some reason, it became rather new for me to talk to Rowan once again. I felt exhilarated but I wasn’t sure if I liked it for the most part. “Mels,” He said. “I’m sorry for doing leaving you all alone.” Rowan scratched his head. “I just. I just thought that I would look better on your eyes if I became someone cool and popular.” I looked at him with eyes that screamed ‘No!’ “But in the end, you avoided me altogether.” Rowan looked down. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” I said shortly.

This is my chance. I finally realized that the reason on why I kept hiding myself was also for the same reason of his. I hid myself because I was embarrassed. Rowan became the star of the team, while, despite getting good grades, I thought that I wasn’t good enough for him. I was embarrassed of myself.

And even made Rowan worry about me.

I’ve been so selfish all along.

Oh God, please, let me go crazy!

I finally decided. I wasn’t going to let go. I have to be myself and let loose. And then, like magic in a fairytale, I tiptoed up to Rowan and gave him a light kiss on the cheek. “I love you.” I tiptoed again, now closer to his ear.

He grinned and in turn faced me to kiss me on the lips. I laughed after and gave him the biggest hug I’ve ever given anyone I know – tightly as if I’ll never let him go.

Ever.

“Rowan?” I asked as I squeezed his hand as we turned to the next street. “Why did you close the Lemonade Stand almost 4 years ago?”

“Well,” Rowan stopped on his track, and looked back at me with kind eyes. “A football hit it and that was history.”

“Oh,” I said. “No wonder.”

“But from now on, you’ll be my only lemon, Mels.” He said as the two of us walked hand in hand back to our own houses. He looked at me and gave me another light kiss on the lips. “And you know how much I love my lemons.” I smiled as the entire burden in my heart fled away.

“Oh, I do.”

I really do.

“Thank God for lemons.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like this story. I found it simple and sweet and tried to incorporate the lemons in. :) By the way, go check out the other entries in the contest too.

P.S: This was also my first ever oneshot! Woohoo!