‹ Prequel: Dear Jane Doe

Confusion Girl

Nine

I heard her voice long before I saw her face. It was high pitched, the epitome of girly, and clawed against my eardrums in a bittersweet sensation. I already hated this girl enough to strangle a cushion and Tom instantaneously even before she sauntered into the room.

Her hair was black as night, eyes dripping with malevolence, teeth sharp and twisted... well that was what I imagined her to look like. In actual fact the face of evil was quite pretty with rosy cheeks and light brown hair. Every tooth seemed to be intact and straight, flashing all of them when she decided to smile.

“I can’t believe I’m actually in Jo’s lounge surrounded by the boys from ‘the Pretending’. This is better than any dream I’ve ever had,” I dug my nails in as soon as her voice ricocheted around the room once again. Tom yelped and bound away from where we were sat on the sofa so only the cushion took the brunt of my fury.

“I make dreams come true baby,” Alec told her from next to her.

She turned honey eyes onto him and let the lust all girls had for him touch her smile. Nauseated and furious, I had to fight with myself not to punch her and not to just leave. If I left then Alec would know what effect he had over me. If I punched her then I would probably be arrested. This was turning out to be such a shocking day.

It seemed that all eyes were suddenly on my flushed figure, minus the girl’s, as everyone waited for my reaction. They were expecting me to do something but I wouldn’t give any of them the pleasure. Jo broke the moment by sighing loudly and sauntering over to her.

“Any pretty friend of Alec’s is a beautiful friend of mine,” he smiled the smile of a flirting male. Traitor. Whenever there was a girl near he lost all morals and loyalty. So water turned out to be thicker than blood.

The girl blushed and brandished a heavily manicured hand “I’m Teresa.”

That name was stupid – was she Barbie’s friend or something?

“What brings a young lady like yourself to our humble abode?” John piped up for the first time.

“My humble abode you mean,” Jo rebuked.

“I brought her,” Alec’s smug grin seemed directed at me “Teresa caught my eye at the gas station.”

I couldn’t help but scoff at that “the gas station?” How romantic.

This time it was obvious Alec was looking at me, “some of us actually do productive things with our lives.”

“Like go to the gas station?” I narrowed my eyes dangerously.

“I’m like The Pretendings’ biggest fan. I have every CD and every poster and every time you were ever on TV recorded.” Teresa seemed quite oblivious to the tension.

Wow...

“I’m sure you are babe,” Alec replied, somewhat distractedly. “Why don’t you let Jo show you our instruments out in the garage?” She looked a little put out by his dismissal but hastily recovered when Jo’s arm linked within her. It was a strain to keep my mind clear of any abusive desires – both toward her and Alec.

“Hey John, let’s go look outside,” Tom suddenly patted John’s shoulder sharply and led his protesting figure out of sight. It was the first time we had been alone since the first night I’d seen him here. My fury subsided instantly only to be replaced by feelings of hurt and bitterness. Why’d he really have to flaunt such heartbreak in my face so belligerently?

“She’s pretty,” I attempted to save us from the awkward silence.

“I suppose she is,” he seemed surprised, by either the fact that I was talking to him or the opinion of Teresa.

“She caught your eye huh?”

I could tell he was thinking back to how our relationship began - how it was all founded upon his desire for me even before we knew each other. That was really no way to start anything strong. It was simply immature to think that we ever really had a chance when our basis together was simple lust.

“It wasn’t just what you think Lizz,” Alec seemed to have read all my thoughts. “You didn’t just catch my eye, you caught much much more than that.”

Closing my eyes briefly, I wished away this conversation and regretted trying to be civil with him. “It doesn’t matter what I think Alec,” I pushed myself away from the seat, taking the victim cushion with me.

“I guess not.”

It still hurt, but I covered it with nonchalance. If he didn’t care then neither would I.

“Why don’t you just go find your new toy and save yourself from having to make idle chat with me.”

“If that’s what you really want then fine,” Alec turned, his dirty blonde hair falling away from his eyes. I could almost feel it running through my hand. So many things I should have said burnt my tongue but there was no way I would let them out. Alec could have all the Teresas he wanted. My hands clenched around the cushion so hard feathers danced to the ground around my feet. I stared at them accusingly as if it were their fault I was stuck in such an impossible situation.
♠ ♠ ♠
Check out my new story?