Raising Sophie Ryan.

i'm such a terrible mess;

Every pair of eyes in the room ricocheted off each paled face, looking for even the slightest inkling of an idea spinning a web in the minds of one of the beings in the room. When each pair drew a blank, multiple sighs tripped on tongues and were released into the room, everyone having no idea how to approach a situation this big.

Alex was still frozen, his gaze never lingering far from Sophie Ryan, and in his eyes, it was easy to see the thoughts processing at many miles a minute. I was stuck between comforting him, and slapping him square in the face to bring him back around.

Harmony’s eyes lit up, and I knew that look. Her stomach was thinking for her as she began to complain.

“I’m so hungry! Here’s an idea, let’s get some food! We can’t think on empty stomachs, can we?”

At that moment, I would have given her anything. Harmony had this amazing ability, whether she was just being ignorant or she actually thought these actions through, to know how to function as normal and keep life moving as if nothing had torn us down when these big situations appeared. I smiled at my best friend, treading slowly through this was for the best, and dinner was a good place to start.

“You’re right. Zack, grab the pamphlet off the counter and order what you want.” I motioned to the abandoned pizza flyer and tried not to make myself not look as obvious as I continued to glance at Alex out my peripheral vision.

“Yes, ma’am!” Zack’s voice was drowned out by three other voices, their demands battling one another to be heard. Sophie nestled her head into my shoulder, her eyes dangerously heavy with the weight of sleep and her snacks were no more than crumbs and empty packaging. I picked her up gently, placing her on my hip once more and letting her rearrange herself into the crook of my neck. I motioned to Alex to follow, leaving the four bickering ‘children’ in the kitchen.

With Alex yet to defrost and numbly scuffling behind me, I crept into my room, pulling back the covers of my bed and tucking Sophie in. She had arrived in her pajamas, and I was yet to find out how much Kendra had packed for Sophie. Her eyes widened when she realized she could potentially be left alone, and her small fingers gripped my hand in fear. In response, I knelt by the bed, smiling calmly as Alex still hovered above in his silent desperation.

“Sophie, I know everything is pretty scary right now, but I promise we will get everything sorted out tomorrow, okay? Now here’s teddy, get some sleep, sweet,” I whispered, handing her the tattered bear that she took with a vice-like grip and held it to her body like a safety blanket.

“W-when’s momma coming b-back?” Sophie whispered out into the darkness, her voice broken and trembling. I could hear my heart breaking, Alex’s too, as I tried to get around this question without causing the girl anymore heartache than she had already received.

“Well, uh, I’m not sure yet, sweetie. Would you like me to stay with you until you fall asleep? I could sing you a song?” I managed to divert Sophie’s attention as she nodded furiously in agreement to my previous questions, and I gently began to sing Fall Out Boy’s ‘Lullaby’ and continued until Sophie’s large eyes glazed over and began to shut.

As we left the room, Alex was still stuck in a state of wonder at what just happened and spoke his first words since Sophie Ryan entered our lives. “How did you do that?”

I smiled, fond memories floating around behind my eyes as I answered simply, “Well, being the oldest of five certainly teaches you a few things. Besides, it could be a woman thing.”

Alex made a sound of disagreement but nothing more as we joined the rest of the gang out in the lounge. It was a pleasant surprise to find out no one had managed to kill one other in our absence, and that they actually had remained semi-civil. With grim faces, we settled back in the lounge, knowing that we actually had to discuss where to go from here.

“Well, first things first,” Zack started, “we have to call Flyzik and inform him, he’ll push back all tour dates until we have a... solution to this.”

The rest of the boys nodded, not bothering to hide their discontent for not being able to be out on the road. Alex’s face on pained further, and his shoulder’s seemed to slump with the guilt of this all.

“We can’t avoid tour forever. And we can’t possibly bring her out on tour, not at her age anyway,” Rian noted, everyone once again nodding in unison.

“Well, what about if we looked after her when you guys are away?” I piped up, and all eyes gathered upon me. “What? It makes sense. Let’s be real, we’re here doing absolutely nothing. And if we can’t look after her at some point for some unforeseen circumstance, I’m sure Momma Gaskarth could take care of her for a bit, yeah?”

Alex let out a large groan, hiding his flushed face in the palms of his hands, and looking like he would rather disappear than be discussing it. Questioning glances were held over Alex’s head, as we all waited for him to explain.

“My mother! She is gonna have my nuts when she finds out!” Alex mumbled, and Jack giggled, gaining raised eyebrows from around the room.

“What? It’s too late for her to have them now, isn’t it? The deeds been done!” Jack explained, still giggling before being hit with heel of Rian’s shoe.

“We can work around that, once she meets Sophie, she’ll melt. You know how she is with little kids, she’s go all goo-goo over her. Should be sweet sailing from there,” Zack instructed, and we all knew he was right.

“Guys, I’m sorry. I really am. I was so stupid! I have just potentially ruined All Time Low, and all it took was just one stupid night!” Alex rambled, the self-hatred in his eyes almost terrifying, and my heart was frightened for him. Alex wasn’t always so rational and stable, and this could topple him right over the edge.

Rian was the first to speak the words on everyone’s tongue. “Alex, what’s done is done. You can’t take it back, but you can improve the situation. We’re gonna be here for you, and help you through whatever shit you manage to get into. We’ll all support you, because we’re your friends and we care about you.”

The rest of the room nodded, silent in agreement, and Alex turned away, trying to hide the tears that collected in his eyes at the kindness he had just received. His emotions where giving us whiplash, as his face suddenly screwed up in a distorted anger.

“Even so, how am I going to do this? I can’t look after a kid! I can barely look after myself! Maybe it would be best if-"

“Alex Gaskarth! You, me, talking, outside, now!” I was never one to get angry instantly, but even before his words were left to linger in the air, he had my head spinning with fury. Every heartbeat could be heard in the silence, as everyone watched Alex stomp out to the balcony, his own head clouded with anger and I followed, the conversations picking back up as soon as we were outside.

“Sounds like he doesn’t even want this kid,” Rian mumbled softly, his words still reachable to both Alex and I.

“Oh! I was watching Animal Planet the other day and-"

“When aren’t you watching Animal Planet?” Harmony interrupted Jack, her voice laced with a certain type of dry sarcasm. I could imagine Jack was poking his tongue out in his defense.

“Anyway! This lioness’ cubs died, so they wrapped up this orphan cub in the dead cub’s fur so that the lioness would accept it and it did!” Jack replied, seemingly happy with his cunning knowledge.

“I still fail to find the relevance that has in this situation,” Zack pointed out, his voice, although it was half-forced, tried to stay light and humorous.

“Well, we could wrap up Sophie in Alex’s clothes so that he accepts her as his own!”

Cue the sound of four slaps on bare skin and the howl of protest from a disgruntled Jack.

Alex looked up, and both our eyes collided, our fury clashing and making the tension crushing. We both knew we were avoiding the road the conversation would go down, but I had to tell him this straight. I hated having to raise my voice, especially at one of my best friends, but when Alex got this way, sometimes screaming and fighting for your opinion to be heard was the only way to get through.
♠ ♠ ♠
D: THEY HAD TO BE SERIOUS FOR ONCE. WHAT IS THIS?
Well hey there, person reading this. I want to thank you, yes that's right, you, for reading. It means a lot to me. I love you.
Yeah, thanks for reading and leaving feedback! I love getting concrit, and hearing your thoughts!
(: