Sequel: One Heart

In My Dreams It's Me And You

Grinning Face of my Nightmares

Nathalie's POV

It was weird without any of the guys around. Not even Chloe was around much any more as over the last month of so she had spent more and more time at the club, probably because it was a distraction for her now that Zacky had gone. For a few of the times I busied myself and came with her, but after the first week of feeling the same way but just in a different place, I decided to stay at home and just resort to becoming a couch potato. At one point I did do something productive and had our own pool built in the back garden, but it just made the fact no one was around even more apparent. How much fun can you get from a large swimming pool when there is no one to splash you, or give you a piggy back ride?

Currently my eyes were glued to the clock ticking away upon the wall, having waited all day until the hands finally read 8pm. Almost immediately my cell rang, the ID registering as Brian as I flipped it open and said, “Hey.”

On the other end, Brian huffed. “Don't I get a better greeting than 'hey'?”

I laughed from his grumpy tone, but I didn't take too long to stop, as every second on the phone with Brian was precious. The guys had set up a system called 'girlfriend time', in which each person would get one hour to ring their partner starting with Zacky at 3pm and ending with Brian at 8pm. However Matt did get an extra hour after Brian, using the excuse that he and Val were engaged. At one point Brian joked about proposing to me just for the extra hour, and even though I laughed at the idea I couldn't help but wish he did.

Another reason why this time was precious was because the one time Brian sneaked out of recording and drove back down for the night he got punished for it; all the guys were waiting for him when he got back with arms folded, and apparently he 'got what he deserved', in their exact words. I don't know to what extent Brian's punishment was, but I know he did lose a week's worth of girlfriend time, and since then we had both been cautious about what we did.

“You haven't even said hi to me yet, so why should I change what I say?” I replied simply, a smile forming as he started complaining. My gaze drifted to the television as I was flicking through the channels, the date in the corner reminding me that the band had been gone for near three months now. “Are you guys nearly finished recording yet? I miss you.”

He paused before replying, “We should be finishing up in the next few weeks, so it won't be long.”

“Good, because you owe me three months worth of pancakes.”

Brian laughed in reply just as I heard the front door open, meaning that Chloe was finally home. There wasn't really a point in me moving to do what I was going to do next so I simply stayed where I was, covering the receiver before yelling, “There are some left over fajitas on the side for you, the wraps should be in the microwave.” I removed my hand, apologizing. “Sorry, Chloe just came back.”

“You know? I could go for some fajitas right now,” Brian said wistfully, just as his stomach made a large groan for food. “You are going to have to make me some when I get back.”

“Maybe.”

Something must have smashed as I heard the familiar sounds of an object shattering from the kitchen, my smile that had been plastered on my face for the past ten minutes now dropping to a frown as I got up to investigate. When I got there I found that one of my mugs- and ironically, had to be my favourite one that had a design of butterflies on it- was smashed on the floor, seeing Chloe hunched over the kitchen sink.

“Clo! That was my favourite mug!”

No reply came; neither did she move to turn and confront me. This just annoyed me- first the mug and now not even willing to apologise. Instead of asking I marched up to her, grabbed her shoulder and forced her to turn and face me. What I got however, was not the sorry face of my best friend, but more the grinning face of my nightmares.

“Looks like my beautiful butterfly hasn't changed one bit.”

My heartbeat quickened as I instinctively backed away, stumbling over the leg of a chair as I edged into a corner. I couldn't believe he was here. He didn't look like he did before; the puppy fat had now turned into muscle while his once black hair had softened to a tawny brown, grown slightly longer and covering his eyes in lazy spikes. However even though there was no way he could be recognised solely by appearance any more, there was no mistaking who he was.

There was only one person who had ever called me butterfly, and was the one person I never hoped to see again for as long as I lived.

Jake.



Brian's POV

“Nathalie?”

The line went silent after I asked her about the fajitas, only catching a few words every so often. We were still connected, but when I called for her and didn't get a reply the fear crept in, soon joined with suspicion as I heard another guy's voice in the background.

“Time's up.”

I looked up to see Matt hovering in the doorway. “Just a few more minutes.”

“You know the rule Syn, one hour unless it’s an emergency.”

“But...” I trailed off, trying to find a way around it. “I think Nat's with someone.”

“Chloe?”

I shook my head. “It wasn't her. It was a guy's voice- I'm sure of it.”

At first he didn't reply, crossing to the couch and sitting down next to me, arms crossed. “You know, it could have just been a friend. Could have been that Luke guy from the Club.”

I frowned. “I guess it could have been.”

“And you know Nat, she wouldn't do that to her-” He emphasised the next phrase. “-favourite guitarist, now would she?”

I gave a small laugh. “Yeah, I guess you're right.”

When I brought the cell to my ear to say my goodbyes as I got up I was greeted with a loud crash followed shortly after by a scream, one that sounded horribly like Nat's. The screen quickly changed to 'call ended' as I glanced down at it, but I wasn't given any time as Matt rose up behind me and pushed me out of the room, plucking the cell from my hand before closing the door behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Semi-filler, with random injection of mystery and drama :D