Sequel: One Heart

In My Dreams It's Me And You

Ultimate Sacrifice: To Love Someone Enough To Let Them Go

Brian's POV

“Where is she?”

I noticed Val and Jimmy looked away whenever I said this, but I didn't think there was anything wrong about it. They had been acting like this all night, so I just guessed it was one of there games or something. Although I had to admit, the fact that neither of them was touching their drinks was a bit weird.

“Hey- isn't that her there? On the platform?”

I turned to where Matt was pointing and after a few moments of squinting managed to pick Nathalie's body from the rest that were dancing on the small platform, looking as gorgeous as ever.

My fingers ran over the box in my pocket as I got up from the booth, only stopping to look back at Zack who had a grin on his face saying, “Good luck dude. Drinks are on us tonight!”

Beside him, Chloe's eyes rolled. “They are always on me, Zachary, not you. You have never paid for one single drink since you have come here.”

“Of course I have...” he replied slyly, his hand creeping up underneath her top as he leant over her. “Do you not remember last night?”

She squealed in response and slapped his hand away, then falling into a fit of laughter as he attacked her with 'the tickles'. As he was now busy Matt took over as congratulator, and gripped my arm to show his support before letting go. “Hurry up and ask her already, I'd rather not get too old to be your best man.”

Val suddenly stood up at that point, ducking out from under Matt’s arm to stand in front of me. Her expression was vastly different than the others; troubled, almost.

“Val… What’s wrong?”

“Why don’t you let me get us a round of drinks first? Get ready to toast your engagement.”

“We’ve all got drinks Val.”

I moved to walk past her but she blocked me again. “Well you can’t do it without Jimmy here now can you?”

“I’m sure Nat’s acceptance will be proof enough.”

“Well what about-”

I held my hand up to stop her before she could go on again. “Is there something I should know that is making you stop possibly the happiest moment of my life?”

She opened her mouth as if to say something, but obviously thought against it, her lips forming a smile. It seemed a bit off though- almost… sad. But right now, I couldn’t even think past what I was going to ask Nat to wonder what was wrong.

“Go on then Brian. Good luck.”

I grinned back at Val before leaving, taking a deep breath just as I made my way through the people on the dance floor to the podium in the middle, where Nathalie was. However what I saw was not what I wanted- or expected.



Nathalie's POV

“Nathalie?”

When I heard my name I broke the making out session I was having with Luke on the podium and looked up at him, trying to blink away the tears as our lips parted. He smiled down at me, murmuring “You can do it. Go on.”

I whispered my broken thanks as I turned to look at Brian standing underneath me, only to realise that the shock on my face wasn't performed like I thought it was going to be, but real. If Luke hadn't already gotten off the platform when I was trying to I probably would have fallen straight on my face, instead of being caught in his arms and pulled into a tight hug.

“Brian...” I couldn't manage much more than that as I burst into tears, knowing that Luke's arms around me was the only thing keeping me up. He seemed frozen by shock; his body only moving when I reached out to him, my fingers just brushing against his forearm. “I'm sorry-”

“Don't say it.”

Something dropped from his hands to the floor, but I couldn't see what it was without losing Luke's support and falling to join it there. He was expressionless as he turned and walked away, not bothering to rejoin the others and instead headed straight out of the door. They had all seen this and looked confused; with Zacky being the first to follow his friend to find out what happened, followed shortly by the rest of them.

Jimmy however came over to find me, his eyes sad as he saw the state I was in. Only he or Val could show any form of pity towards me since they knew my reasons behind it, even if I had just broken their friend's heart in two. “Nat.” He couldn't say much more, obviously reeling from the shock even though he knew it would happen. “If I knew he was going to...” His gaze dropped, soon falling across the small box. He picked it up and handed it to me. “This is yours.”

“What?” My hands were shaking so much that Luke had to put his over mine in order for me to open the box. Fresh tears blossomed from my eyes as I ran my fingers over the ring that was there. It was perfect. “He... Brian was going to propose to me?!”

“I’m so sorry Nat. I tried to find you before…” He glanced at the exit, knowing that the others would be wondering where he was. Without a moment’s thought he wrapped his arms around me and squeezed tight, offering a sad smile before ultimately turning and walking away like the others had done. Not just from the club, but from my life as well.

The box snapped shut with some gentle pressure before I curled my fingers over it, hugging it tight to my chest as I turned to Luke, not bothering to wipe away the tears that fell. “I’ve got to leave now Luke.”

He smiled sadly, toying with my hair. “I know,” he murmured. “Will you ever come back?”

I couldn’t look at him as I whispered, “I don’t know.”

For a while we both just stood there until I finally found the strength to force myself to move, knowing that my mind was unwilling to leave behind my life here. But I had to; for my daughter’s sake. No point backing out now.

“Nat… promise me something.”

“What?”

“Wherever you go, whatever you do… know that you made a choice to ensure the future of your child. Don’t forget that. What you did here… it was all for them.”

“I know.” I rolled up onto my tiptoes and pecked him on the cheek, wrapping my arms around him as I whispered, “Goodbye Luke,” before turning my back on him, on Brian, on everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not your traditional ending, but has equal happy and sad parts :)

I have a sequel ready but I'm undecided if I want to post it... I might just leave Nat's story at this. Unfortunately not everyone gets their perfect fairytale.

Some dreams just never come true </3