Temper: NIGHT

chapter two: group eleven

temperance never really got any sleep. she just lay there the rest of the night pondering. It could have been a chill, but no, vampires didn’t feel chilly. she had never felt like that in her whole life and being a vampire, the first time was a complete shock. temperance closed her eyes and sighed, she wasn’t sure anyway so she’d let it slip and forget about it. she must be the only vampire to ever feel chilly, but what about the soothing warmth afterwards. No, but shawn was her brother. Her brother. as she fought her internal battle, temperance stood up and peered out the window. The sun was high in the sky, and it wasn’t as cold as yesterday, which disappointed her. at least it’s Saturday, she thought closing the curtains and blocking the sun from seeping into her room. “temperance!” it was her father, “coming dad!” she responded in a slightly shaky voice. when she reached him, she saw shawn smiling at her from the kitchen table, “did you actually sleep all this time. Or were you just being your boring weird ass self, just locking your anti-social ass in your room eh?” shawn asked smiling at his father’s outraged look at so many cuss words in one sentence. “nah. I slept” temperance lied and her father eyed her intently, “are you feeling alright?” he asked giving her a small, fatherly hug. It wasn’t natural for vampire’s to slept, not as much as she claimed she slept anyway. “yeah. im fine.” Temperance answered with a small smile. “well. I wanted to take you to see underworld: the rise of the lycans..” shawn said standing up from the table and throwing a dirty plate into the sink, “whoa. You know how awkward that’d be!” temperance laughed, “so they won’t know we’re evil vampires too. the fangs don’t come out ‘till sundown. So no worries. It’s..only 6pm anyway. We’ll know when to hide them.” Shawn said, “yeah but that’s besides the point. You wanna go see a movie where the vampires are the bad guys and werewolves are the good guys. I mean, hello! You wanna see vampires getting killed by those mutants?” temperance exclaimed, outraged. “fine” she gave in as shawn tugged on her arm, “see ya daddy blake! Be back by ten!” shawn yelled over his shoulder as he pulled temperance out the door after him. “are we really going to see a movie?” temperance smiled as they got into his car, “you kidding me? Im gonna bring you to a place where only the best go okay?” he answered, a cocky grin on his face as the car lurched forward.

“we’re here!” shawn exclaimed as he parked in front of an old abandoned building. besides the pigeons perched on the gutters, the place appeared completely desolate. “what is this place?” temperance asked, disgusted by the mold all over the crumbling walls, “only the best place on earth!” shawn smiled energetically as he led her into a roofless room. “here we are” he said as they stood in front of a wall covered with the diabolical graffiti the emo’s and the thugs usually draw. Temperance eyed the wall warily as she approached it behind shawn. Shawn just glanced back at her with a smile, then placed his finger on the wall and drew an invisible x. all of a sudden, the wall was aglow and there was crumbling sound and the floor began to shake. “what the..” she began, but she was pushed forward by an invisible force and before she knew it, she passed through a seemingly solid wall. Temperance was awed by the sight. It was a whole new world. The sky above their heads was pitch black, with three bluish, huge moons and thousands of stars. There was no cement or concrete, and it all seemed to be endless meadow., but what was more intriguing, were the hundreds of vampires walking around, talking, and wait.. even flying. She never knew vampires could fly. way cool. “welcome, To the division. Well not literally the division, just the entrance. Anyway, I thought you’d might like a beforehand look at what the future holds for you…and by the way, the flying’s called flight, obvious. It’s very tricky to get the hang of. Im still at it though..” shawn said in a dramatic voice. temperance just nodded, she couldn’t speak. “whose that?” she asked finally regaining her voice as she stared at a tall, beautiful girl surrounded by a group of younger vampires. “Oh. That’s harper” shawn said slowly, and as if called, the girl looked there way and smiled, breaking away from the crowd and walking towards them. Temperance smiled when she saw shawn shift uncomfortably, but then she felt a sinking feeling in her stomach. They’re compatible, she thought. “hullo shawn” harper said, her voice was like a dose of icy cold water, but she wasn’t being sarcastic, it was just the way her voice sounded. “Um hey harper. This is my sister..” “temperance. Yes I know. I recall you told me once before.” She interrupted him and stared coolly at temperance with her bright blue eyes. everything about this chick screams ice, temperance thought as she stared back, her own green eyes radiating defiance.

A small smile played on harper’s lips, “would you like to meet the others temperance? The ones who will be entering training with you?” she asked crisply, and temperance nodded. Harper now smiled fully, and temperance admired her white, elegant fangs. Pure bloods’ fangs never retracted, they were there twenty-four seven. Temperance then followed harper toward the small group, which was now surrounding a tall, strange looking guy. “Gerard!” harper called to him, “bring the kids from group eleven”, the guy turned spoke to the two people standing closest to him and walked toward harper and temperance followed by them. “here they are harper” he drawled, scowling at temperance when he spotted her. “this is Pamela, Gerard’s younger sister. And this is Zach.” Harper said, pointing to the pretty blonde girl, and the handsome, quiet boy, “they’re registered to be in your group during training. There are just eleven groups of three. Not as much as when I was in training, but there aren’t many coming of age’s this season. In this district anyway.” With that, harper gave a final cold smile and strode away, eagerly followed by Gerard. “hey” Pamela said smiling, her fangs were out, “are you a pure blood?” temperance asked, “no doll. Half-blood. It’s already past dusk, that’s all” she answered, and indeed, temperance felt her fangs in place. Zach said nothing. He was an undead, and had been since he was bitten by an unknown pureblood at age eight, but it wasn’t because of the kiss of life, it had been a rogue pureblood who had attacked to kill; but luckily, there had been another vampire around who saved him from having every last drop of blood drained from his body, but still, now he was a vampire. “you’re zach right?” temperance asked and he looked up at her. the girl was talking to him and he didn’t know what to answer. Her beautiful green eyes radiated character, and it intimidated him, since he was a quiet, gentle person, not used to strength and forcefulness. Not vampire material at all. Finally, he nodded and stared back down at his feet. “only 3 days left..” Pamela whispered licking her lips, her fangs gleaming as the light from the three moons reflected on them. “yeah..” temperance whispered back, and zach just nodded solemnly. “temper babe! We’ve gotta go! It’s nine thirty!” shawn called, He had been standing with another group of division newbies. As temperance followed him out toward the graffitied wall, she was finally smacked in the face by reality. Only three days left…
♠ ♠ ♠
a little bit of fantasy : )