The Protector of the Scattered Flowers

A Strange Occurance

The final kunai left my hand, landing in the bark of a tree with a loud thunk. Sweat seemed to be pouring out of my body, even from the most insignificant effort put into training. I took a swig from my water bottle and sighed. Today's session had been a moderately good one.

Now I get to go home and play with a three year old instead of relax. Great.

After pulling the numerous kunai from the tree, I laid down underneath it, taking advantage of the moment. The quiet of the woods was....

I sat up abruptly.

Odd. There's no noise at all. Not a bird chirping, or leaves rustling in the trees.... Just nothing.

Something's wrong.


I stood, clenching my kunai in my hand.

Then something odd took place.

It felt as if someone had flown past me. I felt something brush against my arm, and wind rushing by me, but it was impossible to see if someone or something had done it. It lasted only an instant, and was gone.

After standing for a few more moments, and deciding that nothing was going to happen, I got my things and ran home.

Onee-san and Pein-sama will want to hear about this.

After a couple of minutes, I burst out of the forest and came face to face with the hideout. I had been expecting it to be in ruins, but it was the opposite. Nothing looked out of place or harmed. The front door was still intact, nothing was aflame, and no one was screaming.

I could just be paranoid, but I'll still check out the inside.

I turned the knob cautiously, then peeked inside. Onee-san and Chikako were napping on the couch, and Deidara was cooking lunch in the kitchen. I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding in.

Thank God nothing's happened to them.

"Deidara! That's not how you do it!" A voice hissed from the kitchen, and I jumped. Hearing someone talk after so much quiet was unnerving.

"But honey dumpling -- "

"Don't you sass me! Out of the kitchen! Out!" Deidara was pushed out of the kitchen by unseen hands.

I closed the door behind me and walked into the kitchen. "Need some help, Midori?"

The green-haired girl smiled at me. "Sure, Mamoru-chan! You can cut up these vegetables for me."

Jeez. You'd never know that she was so mean to her poor husband.

"Midori," Deidara whined from behind the door, "I wanna help too!"

"Shut up, you incompetent old man! You couldn't help me make lunch even if hell froze over!" She snarled at him.

"Why you two got married still confuses me." Natsumi yawned from the couch. "Can't you two shut up and get along for a day? Just listening to you guys wears me out."

Deidara rushed over to Natsumi, grabbing her hand and getting on one knee. "Are we bothering the baby? Does our arguing leave a negative impact on our Kohana?"

She snatched her hand away and smacked him on the head with her pillow. "Idiot. Instead of worrying about me, you should be more concerned about your own Kohana on the way."

At this, his eyes lit up, and he burst back into the kitchen. "Is it true, my love? Are we soon to have our own little one running amok?"

Midori's harsh glance softened. "Yes. I was going to tell you over lunch today. It's why I've been more... moody... than usual."

I caught onee-san's eye, and we both gave each other the same, knowing look.

If this keeps up, I'll need to find my own place in the next week or so. She's unbearable enough around Oji-san enough without being pregnant.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: http://media.photobucket.com/image/green%20hair%20anime%20girl/vaporeonespeon/Anime/grass.jpg?o=9 <--- Midori. I thought her name was appropriate. :)
So these next couple of chapters are going to be introductions of the newer characters and explanations of what's been happening since "The Flower..." ended. Then the real action begins. >:D
Don't forget to tell me what you think about the story so far!