Sequel: Eternal Rest 2: 4 AM

Eternal Rest

Chapter 17

Matt stood at the front door of the room that the council that they had to face was in and waited for the others to join him. Nevaeh was sitting on a bench looking nervous. He knew from her thoughts that she was nervous and she had never had to go through something like this her entire time as a vampire. She had never once had to go in front of the council. He was trying to block the panic radiating from her thoughts from invading his, when he caught something slip through the panic.

‘How can he be so calm about this? Why does he have to be so fucking hot?’ He turned to her and pulled her up from the bench and pressed his lips to hers. She didn’t try to pull back she only intensified it. They pulled apart when they heard someone clear their throat. Matt didn’t let go of her but he turned his head in the direction of the voice that started to speak.

“Wow, damn one would think that you of all people would know better than to make out with someone when there is a distinct possibility that the council will walk past.”

“Shove it Seward”

“Son…” Andrew said as he walked out of the room the council was in. He grinned when he saw that Matt had his arms around the dark haired woman and he couldn’t remember her name at that moment.

“Dad, its not time for the…”

“No, I came out to tell you that your mother was wondering if you would like to join us for dinner this weekend.”

“How’d you know I was here?”

“You want an answer to that?” Matt glanced at the woman beside him and then realized just how vulnerable he was now.

“uhm no.”

“Just knock when the others get here.”

“Yes sir” Matt and Johnny said. Adele was leaning against the wall just as worried as Nevaeh had been moments before, now she was thinking a whole hell of a lot about what had just happened between her and Matt, which in turn made Matt smirk. They all glanced up when they heard laughter coming from around the corner.

“Haven’t heard that in a while.”

“Me either Johnny.”

“Clue us in?” Nevaeh asked.

“Jimmy, laughing…”

“200 years since we heard that one.”

“200 years since what?” Jimmy asked walking around the corner holding Chryslyn’s hand. She had her fingers laced through his and was smiling at whatever it was that had had Jimmy laughing.

“You laughed, happily.”

“Oh yeah that.” Jimmy said grinning he sat and pulled Chryslyn down onto his lap.

“So since I was thinking about it when I woke up this morning I seriously think that we shouldn’t mention the events that transpired between you and Zack. I mean it was irrelevant to anything right?”

“I hope so, but if they ask about it because of how soon it happened after your turn and it lead to the attack on Laila…”

“Damn I was hopping to forget the fight and shit happened.”

“I would say that I want to forget it all happened but that isn’t going to happen.” Brian said to Nia as they walked up to the group that was slowly assembling. Matt shook his head at the fact that Nia had just tucked her hair behind her ear and there was a fresh bite mark on her neck. Then he noticed that there were marks on Adele, and Chryslyn’s neck as well. Damn was he the only one that didn’t get any last night?

“Hey guys.” they all turned as Zack walked up with Laila beside him. She was drinking something out of a black water bottle and there was a bite mark on her neck and you could totally see the one on Zacks. Matt raised an eyebrow.

“Uhm woke up late?” she said grinning. Everyone laughed and rolled their eyes.

“Down it fast, you guys ready?”

“No” nine voices chorused.

“Same here.”

“Hey at least I’m no longer pissed about the hospital incident.” Laila said grinning and Nia and Zack jumped at the same time.

‘…she loves daddy…’

Everyone looked at them and Brian glanced at Nia. She pointed to her still flat stomach and Matt shook his head. And a thought suddenly occurred to Nia. She turned to Jimmy.

“Hey Jimmy how will I know what I’m having?”

“When you’re six months.” Brian answered. They turned to him.

“And you know this how babe?”

“Hello I have a baby sister. Well had…” he suddenly looked saddened and his eyes went black. Nia kissed him and the others went ahead into the room to give them some privacy. They joined them a few minutes later Brian’s eyes still dark, but not black.

“Now that everyone is here, take a seat.” The guys pulled out chairs for the women and then started to sit beside them. “Gentlemen I’m asking you to move to the five seats over there.” They stopped and moved to the other side and as they passed they felt themselves pass through the barrier that was used for trials.

“shit…” Matt muttered.

“Fuck” Zack said quietly at the same time.

“Now I know why they wanted this room.” Jimmy said glancing at the council. It was the room that trials were held in. The barrier kept the jury members from being able to read any thoughts from any of the people that were involved in the trial. However it also kept anyone else from reading their thoughts including the council.

‘…it’ll be okay daddy…’ a little voice popped into Zacks head he looked startled for a second but got it under control. He decided to experiment quickly.

‘…can you project to the others in the group too?’

‘…maybe we could try…’

‘…okay…’ Matt glanced at Zack and raised an eyebrow at him.

“Now lets get started. State your names, age. and dates of birth for us one at a time.” Andrew Sanders said. It was a trial and he knew the boys had figured this out. And he had a feeling that the two twins had as well.

‘…Laila’s nervous she wants to puke, mommy is trying to count to ten and calm down…’ great they at least got through to Laila.

“Nevaeh Williams, 121 July 17th, 1888.”

“Chryslyn Williams, 121 July 18th, 1888.”

“What the fuck?” Matt asked causing everyone to stop what they were doing. “Sorry… but uhm how is that possible?”

“I was born ten minutes after Nevaeh, she was born at five to midnight, I was born at five after.” Chryslyn said smiling at him and trying not to laugh.

“Oh…” Matt said. He was getting antsy he wanted to know what the council members were thinking and he needed to know what his dad was thinking.

‘…tell Matt his dad doesn’t think any of the ladies will be punished, and Adele wants Johnny…’ Zack mentally relayed the messages and got mental what the fucks back and he told them and they suddenly grinned. As long as the barrier was in place and it was no one outside of this barrier could hear their thoughts. Matt smirked and started planning a way to save the women.

“Elainia Matthews, 23 August 7th, 1986”

“And how we’re you turned Miss Matthews?” Dillon Miles asked and Matt and Jimmy shoved him down in his seat.

‘…shes blocking him out and it’s making him mad…’

‘…tell her to tell the truth…’

‘…daddy Brian says tell the truth…’ Nia was suddenly shocked and glanced toward the guys Brian nodded in her direction. She closed her eyes.

“To save my life. I was attacked on the job during a showing and…”

‘…use their stage names…’

“Shadows and Syn saved me there and then the next night my friends Adele and Alyx and I went to a concert where they all ended up saving me and Adele once again. I was stabbed the previous night by a knife and it had left this really nasty raised pink scar. I almost died from it, but Syn turned me.” She smiled when she said his name and Dillon glared at her. She wasn’t supposed to be happy about being a vampire. She was supposed to be pissed and want to kill the people that turned her.

“Enough we ask questions later, you know the rules Dillon.” a short haired blonde said.

“Kendall it needed to be told.”

“Fine it was told.”

“Please continue Adele.” Andrew said. She smiled and did as asked.

“Adele Guerra, 22 January 1st, 1987.”

“Laila Summers, 26 October 31st, 1983.”

“Ladies we are the international council, highest of the councils…”

“Excuse me but I thought that the Continental council was the highest?” Adele said. Wasn’t that what the book had said. She thought it was but suddenly she wondered if Laila had misread it.

“Uhm I didn’t get a chance to mention that that book was over 200 years old.” Matt said

“Gee thanks Matt.” Nia said feeling suddenly exasperated. She was blocking the council and she knew that they hadn’t figured that out yet. They hadn’t tried to get in. She just knew she had to shield about the babies she was carrying,

‘…stop worrying mommy we’ll help you block them…’ Nia smiled softly and covered it by glancing at Brian.

“Smile back Brian… she’s covering for smiling at something the kids said.” Brian didn’t have to be told twice, partly because the smile had already been returned.

“Okay, enough of the talking, it’s time for this trial to began, but first let me introduce you to the other council members. To my left we have Ginny Kamden, Kendall Dom, Frankee Jackson, and to my right the other gentlemen, Drake Martinez and Dillon Miles. You already know I am Andrew Sanders.”

“They never filled dad’s spot.” Brian whispered to Jimmy. Jimmy shrugged at him. He didn’t know what to tell his friend. The Chair beside Andrew was empty and where Brian Haner Sr. would have been sitting. Nia smiled encouragingly at Brian and he smiled back weakly. He missed his father.

“Now it has come to our attention and it can no longer be ignored, that certain events seem to be centering around you since your turn Miss Matthews.”

“Me?” she tried to act like she didn’t know what Frankee, the only red headed female on the council was talking about.

“You were turned as you stated earlier to save your life, and seeing as Andrew and his wife were there, to oversee it as what it was this is not to be held against anyone especially since you have become emotionally involved with Syn since your turning.” Nia couldn’t help but smile at that one. Emotionally involved was putting it mildly. “But it has been noticed that most of the attacks seem to be centered around you. Ms. Summers was turned as well to save her life, because of an attack at a hospital that was because of your mother. And the reason that she was there was because Laila had helped save Zacky’s life earlier in the day. Which as we understand it was because Syn and he got into a fight because he bit you…”

“Okay hey how did you know about that?” Nia asked.

“We also know that you and Syn well we won’t go there.” Nia’s face paled. Zack glanced at the others and Matt was staring at one man on the council. Dillon was sitting with a smirk on his face. Suddenly Matt knew how the council knew everything. Zack was reading Matt’s mind since he had decided that they all needed to open up to one another because that was how they were all getting to hear what babies Baker had to say. Zack pulled files out of his bag and glanced at Jimmy. Jimmy nodded and they both stood.

“I would like to say something here.” Zack said.

“Don’t make this worse Zack, please.” Nia said groaning as he walked out of the barrier and to the council table. Jimmy beside him. She didn’t know he had brought the proof about Dillon with him. Suddenly everyone was blasted with a get your asses up and be ready to fight if need be. From Matt who had stepped out as well. Brian and Johnny beside him.

“Certainly but I don’t know why you would defend the woman, after all she’s the reason you went through the bus windows.” Dillon said. Laila saw the files in Zacks hands.

“I found these in Craig Morgan’s apartment. I would like to hand them over as the right thing to do and place the blame boldly on High Councilman Dillon Miles, for ordering a hit on Adele Guerra, Lana Matthews and a turn on Elainia Matthews.” Five heads turned in the direction of Dillon Miles.

“That’s absurd, why would I do that?” Dillon asked keeping his calm. Andrew took the files and Kendall took the one marked Adele Guerra. She glanced through it and when she got to the final page she glanced up at the other council members. Andrew had been right.

“I believe you now in your accusations against Dillon, Andrew. If you’ll allow me.”

“Certainly Kendall.”

“Where’s your blade Dillon. You know tradition, blades must be present at all council trials. Produce it now.” He looked at her.

“I don’t have it.”

“We know. It’s the blade that pierced Elainia’s side. These papers bear your signature and your seal. You ordered hits and a turn, why?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“His blade…” Andrew said producing it Nia shuddered.

“This trial is dismissed, now that we know she is not to blame, none of them are.” Frankee said. Dillon lunged for his blade and ripped it from Andrews hands and went to plunge it through Nia’s heart, but Brian saw it coming and lunged at him. The silver of the blade touched Brian’s hand and he grimaced in pain but was now fighting for his own life. The others weren’t helping any by not stepping up. But that could be because of the silver blade that was flashing in the lights of the trial room. Nia moved swiftly an d even though it would slice her hand she grabbed the blade and startled Dillon let go of it. Dillon was gone moments later and before anyone could react because Nia stood there holding the blade and looking ready to cry. Brian stood up and wrapped her in his arms. She placed her head on his chest and cried. The blade was still in her hand.

“Great we’re two members short now.”

“Ginny we have to call a High Council meeting.”

“I know Drake.” Brian lifted his head and the guys saw it in his eyes.

“Your short one. If you can take the fact that I come with special circumstances and a few conditions.” Brian said. The five remaining council members looked at one another. Knowing what those circumstances and unmentioned conditions were. He was only called in to have to physically be there when absolutely necessary and that was because of who he was.

“Ladies?” Drake asked looking at the three female members. They nodded at the same time.

“Drew?”

“Yes”

“Then it’s settled Brian Elwin Haner Jr. you are now a part of the council.” Kendall walked to the only thing that traveled with the council everywhere. It was a wood chest. She opened it and pulled out a small box. She handed it to Brian.

“We’ve been waiting to give this to you for a long time.” Brian took the box and Nia watched him open it. She watched as his eyes held back the tears that were dying to fall. And she knew that he wished his parents and Alyx were there. It didn’t have to be said, and it didn’t have to be thought. She looked down at the blade in her hand and lay it on the table where the other council members still sat. No one seemed to remember that she had held it by the blade and not the handle.

That night Nia had taken to wandering around the house. She hadn’t explored everything and she wanted to now. She wasn’t tired and she needed to think. She walked into the library and was running her hands over the vast collection of books when she saw a little button on the wall by the desk. She shrugged and hit it just as Brian walked in. He shook his head and watched with amusement as a bookshelf moved back and slid to the side and a display case moved forward. She tilted her head and walked forward. She was looking at several sizes of stakes and knives. And on the middle shelf dead center was Brian Senior’s blade. She picked it up and looked at the handle. It had the same carvings and jewels as Brian’s did. She touched the design on the blade and smiled it was different slightly from Brian’s.

“You’ll pay for all that you’ve done. Killing me is going to piss off a lot of people. And you’ll have more to worry about Marius, than just me…”

“Your family will die as well. There will be no one to stop me. Your wife will make me a very happy man. I’ll make sure she knows everyday that I was the man that killed her husband and children. And I’ll laugh when she gives me children of my own.”

“Talia will never marry you.”

“Yes she will. I’ll see you in Hell Haner.” Nia screamed and dropped the blade to the ground just as the blade she had been holding plunged into Brian’s fathers chest. Brian was at her side in a heart beat.

“Nia are you okay baby?”

“Marius…”

“We’ve been through this he’s dead.”

“I know, he, he killed your dad with his own blade.”

“What?”

“I saw it” Brian carefully picked it up and placed it back in the case. “Brian your mom, she’s not dead.”

“What?” he repeated. Was the woman he was in love with unintentionally hurting him?

“He kept her and married him or whatever himself. Brian she may still be alive.”

“I’m beginning to see why Dillon wanted you.”

“Not funny.”

“I’m trying to not think right now okay.”

“I can give you a way to not think…”

“Slut”

“You love it.”

“I’m the only one getting it too.”

“Damn straight.” and she made love to him in the library on the floor in front of the massive shelves that lined the walls filled with books.