Sequel: Eternal Rest 2: 4 AM

Eternal Rest

Chapter 27

Nia stood staring at the wreckage and the other women slowly started to back away from her. Jimmy, Johnny, and Matt did the same.

“You are both going to pay for this. What if the girls and you hadn’t have been here? What if I had gotten hurt… FOR GODSAKE WHAT ABOUT THE BABIES?”

“Nia…”

“DON’T NIA ME ZACHARY JAMES BAKER. IF ANYTHING HAD HAPPENED TO THEM OR ME YOU AND BRIAN WOULD HAVE BEEN ENTIRELY RESPONSIBLE FOR IT!” Brian moved to her and Nia collapsed into his arms. Brian held her and patted her on the back and the other women started going off on the men as well. Even Matt was backing away from them. Nevaeh had murder in her eyes as she glared at Matt who backed away.

“You put my sister, my niece, my friends, all of us in danger by letting them talk her into moving here!”

“Vaeh…”

“And me… you put me in danger…I thought you cared about me…”

“I do…”

“Vaeh watch what you say…”

“Shut up Chrys… Matt I can’t be with someone that doesn’t care…”

“But I do care…”

“Yeah then where the hell were you when I needed you. If it weren’t for Nia I’d be dead.”

Three days later back at his own house Matt was working out in the basement his fists connecting with the punching bag fast and hard. He was pissed. He still didn’t know what he had done wrong. He glared as Nia walked down the steps.

“What do you want?”

“Would you stop for a minute please, and talk to me?”

“Why?”

“Just because you need someone to talk to.”

“I suppose.”

“Look I don’t think that she really meant it…”

“Then why the hell won’t she talk to me… I fucking fall in love again for the first time in years. And when I say years I mean decades.”

“I know but look at it this way. If not for me that stake would’ve caught her.”

“That attack was from behind. After we got her outta the house.”

“Well dammit…” She couldn’t argue, because he had a point.

Three weeks later the attacks never continued because it seemed they only attacked when they were caught off guard. They were on alert and Nia was showing and smiling more often. And she was brought down the day she saw the same signs she had gotten in Nevaeh. The woman was pregnant. Nevaeh had moved in with Brian and Nia when her and Zack broke up and now here they were Nia watching her friend have the same symptoms that she had had herself. Only her morning sickness was the worst. Brian looked at Nia and neither one of them wanted to say a word to Matt. Nevaeh needed to. It was another three weeks before something major happened.

Nia was baby shopping for the girls with Brian and Nevaeh when they were attacked. The trio rolled their eyes as two vamps decided to attack them when they stopped for lunch. Nia glared and it was obvious she was pregnant meaning she couldn’t make a big scene in public. Shit this was bad. Nevaeh was obviously not in the mood for this and killed one of them easily enough but the one that attacked Brian stabbed him heart. If it had been a silver blade he’d have died but it was a wooden stake. So last century but to those that saw him get stabbed he was dead.

Matt was the first to get to the council hall and when he saw Nia and the others were fine he was wondering what the hell the emergency was. Then he saw that Brian was sucking down bag after bag of blood. He also saw the blood covered shirt he wore. Laila was the only other one there already. Was arguing with Brian about removing his shirt. He glared at her and when Nia smacked him he did as the good doctor told him to. Matt winced when he saw where the injury was. Brian was “dead” in the mortal world. Shit this wasn’t good. He’s gaze moved to Nevaeh and he watched as she ignored him purposefully. Suddenly Matt’s head snapped back to her after he looked at his father who had just arrived.

“Nevaeh, can I talk to you a minute?” He asked. She stood and walked over to him. Already knowing what he wanted.

“Matt…”

“You’re pregnant!” Matt stated it sounded like he was asking.

“Obviously if you’re asking you know.”

“That wasn’t a question Vaeh…”

“Well sorry if I’m not all that happy right now.”

“Your upset about the baby?”

“No, the fact that I could’ve lost it…that you hate me, that Brian has to hide now for a long time.”

“I don’t hate you and he’ll work with the council, he’ll be there for Nia…”

“I’m sorry about…” She didn’t get it out of her mouth because he kissed her. He pulled back and spoke.

“Just don’t throw furniture.” Matt glanced at Nia and Nevaeh grinned.

“I love you Matthew…”

“I love you too Nevaeh…”

“I promise not to throw furniture.”

“Good.” the two walked over to Brian and Nia Laila. She had cleaned Brian’s chest of all the blood and now they watched as the others walked in. Zack looked at Nia and got the answer to his unspoken question from the babies.

“We’re fine daddy” shot through his head strong, loud, and clear and he sighed relieved. Laila just shook her head. But knew that he had every right to be concerned for the babies that Nia was carrying. Zack placed a kiss to Laila’s forehead and held her close. Johnny and Adele arrived followed by Jimmy and Chrys and Serenity Sullivan. They were all worried about not the band, but what would happen now.