The Circus

The Circus

The stage lights turn on, and I walk out onto the stage. The musicians walk down the aisles amongst the audience. Their hand drums, tambourines, violins, harps, guitars, and flutes captivate the audience’s imagination as they wonder what comes next.

Some of the clowns run around in the aisles, teasing the audience and making them laugh. That is their job in this circus. Everyone has a job here. You are either a clown, performer, musician, or character.

My job is an aerial performer and musician, which is an unlikely combination. I am performing the aerial hoop, which is a large metal hoop attached to cables that lift it up into the air as I do a number of tricks on it.

Our circus has numerous plots with different stories behind them. The one playing now is about a girl who falls in love with a guy, but the guy doesn’t know this. Of course, the guy is another performer.

He performs on the German wheel; a steel wheel that he rolls around in while doing tricks. Anyways, the two end up getting married in the end. A traditional happy ending as usual.

The clowns are coming back to the stage. That’s my cue to start singing. It’s simple: sing some high notes to signal the show is about to start. My music teacher says that it is best to aim your voice at the back of the theatre.

The characters walk, crawl, and bounce onto the stage. I walk among them, still singing. The band above the stage begins playing; it’s the opening song. The characters all dance along as more performers come onto the stage for the audience to see. The clowns all rush in. Their long shoes get in the way, and cause them to trip and fall.

As usual, they begin to argue loudly in the middle of the stage, while the performers and characters still dance. Two of the other musicians, singers like me, are singing in harmony with each other.

The stage lights go out. Everyone exits the stage through the curtains, leaving me and the audience together. The audience applauses, some whistling. I look out to the audience as a spotlight comes on. The piano begins playing slowly, and then a flute enters. I take a breath and open my mouth. The notes come out, pure and clear as a bell. Two performers walk out of the curtains slowly, each holding a strap.

The aerial straps have began. Two characters walk out and position themselves behind me acting as spotters, as the aerial straps lift the two performers into the air. They gracefully fly through the air displaying strength, courage, wisdom, balance, and synchronization. The makeup artist makes them look fierce and stunning at the same time.

A clown now walks out onto the stage. This signals the end of the aerial straps. The two performers perform a final circle around the audience, then come back and land next to the two characters. The audience cheers for them.

The clown claps too; more in an obvious way. I walk by and wave. I have to wait another five acts to perform; this time with my aerial hoop. One of the other musicians takes her place and begins to sing. The band starts up with more bass and drums. This signals the beginning of the trampoline act. Ten trampoline artists come bouncing out; their costumes glittering in the stage lights.

“Talia and Dex are up next,” the stage manager says.

Dex is the other main character; the character I “fall in love with” in the story. The stage lights go off, and the drummer begins a slow beat. Miniature stage lights are lit, creating a soft glow around the entire theatre.

Dex enters the stage, his eyes which are outlined in black, pierce the audience. His German wheel begins to spin around the stage. Some people in the audience scream as they think the wheel will go off the stage and hit them.

Of course it won’t.

There are thin cables attached to the wheel for safety. Dex walks up to his wheel and puts one arm through a gap in the spokes. He fishes his body through that gap; the audience gasps at how slim and flexible Dex is.

A spotlight shines on me as I slowly walk behind Dex. A platform rises; I quickly sit on it. The platform rises until it is above Dex and his German wheel. A violin begins to play a sorrowful tune and the drummer keeps up his tempo.

I begin to sing, though the words are completely made up. The audience can understand that I am in love with Dex, and he doesn’t realize this.

Dex enters his last spin as the lights turn down. The audience cheers for him as he wheels his German wheel away.

“Good luck,” he says as he pats my shoulder.

“Thanks,” I answer as I walk to the middle of the stage.

From above the audience, a crew member lowers my hoop on a wire. All the audience can see is a slight shine on the wire, cast by the stage lights. I grab my hoop; the cool metal calming my nerves. Metal hoops are best when it comes to performing. They don’t break like the plastic ones kids use.

The drummer now begins to beat out a faster tempo. I curl my left arm around the lip of the hoop and brace my body as the hoop begins to rise. The violinist begins to play short and choppy notes. My right arm grasps the lip of the hoop as I lift my legs inside, instantly wrapping my left leg around the metal.

The hoop begins to swing around in a circle as the audience claps. Releasing my leg, I hang from the hoop, and begin to twirl my legs around, making the hoop spin in a fast circle. I can hear the audience gasp at the speed. A guitarist begins to strum; the music flows over the audience like water.

I lift my legs above me and hook my ankles around the lip of the hoop. Finding a good position, I let go of the hoop and hang upside down. The hoop continues in a circle, this time more slowly. Once again, the audience cheers.

The hoop begins to lower as I bring my hands to the hoop and dislodge my ankles. As I touch ground on the stage, the audience still cheers. The sound is exhilarating.

I smile and wave as Dex comes on stage. My heart beats and my cheeks burn up. My body feels warm and tingly. All the characters come out on stage for the closing act. The audience is on their feet, cheering wildly as Dex hands me a rose. He hugs me gently and kisses my cheek.

Everyone on stage begins to dance as confetti is thrown from above the stage. It’s a wedding scene. Each of us goes to the front of the stage and bows to audience, who haven’t stopped cheering. As I walk off stage, I wonder if tonight will be that special night for me.

Putting on a show and falling in love all in one night.

Sometimes life can be a dream come true.