Plastic Balls of Chance

Plastic Balls of Chance

Screaming children ran up and down the brick red tubes. Plastic balls ricocheted against the black mesh netting that separated patrons from the brightly coloured missiles. The sun shone in a clear blue sky as cars raced back and forth, the exhaust fumes making the air shimmer.

Breathing in the plastic fumes in the air, Marlee watched the young children sliding back and forth, climbing the ladders, and jumping on the mats. Her little sister, Chelsea, had dragged Marlee here. For sure they would be here until midnight, maybe even longer.

Marlee ducked as a children’s shoe flew over her head and knocked into the cardboard “McDonald’s Fun Zone Entrance” sign over.

“This is going to take a while” Marlee thought as she walked across the plastic tubing to lean against the Plexiglas windows.

“Landon is supposed to take me out somewhere” she thought.

Heat rushed to her cheeks as she remembered the last time they had hung out. Marlee was sure Landon could hear her heart pounding.

The door squeaked as it brushed against the mats on the ground. Looking over, Marlee noticed shoes that lit up with each step. Connor, Landon’s brother, loved those shoes. Connor ran with a happy look on his face into the ball pit.

Marlee then noticed a certain black spiked hair man taking his shoes off. She could feel the heat take over, starting from her feet then ending at her cheeks. Marlee dug her toes into the plastic mat as Landon casually walked over.

Her heart began pounding; her blood was roaring in her veins.

“Hey” Landon said as he leaned against a yellow slide across from Marlee.

"Hi"

“How’s it going?”

“You mean since the last time we hung out?” Marlee joked as she looked away shyly.

Her heart continued to pound as she looked at Landon. She adored the way his hair was always spiked up at the front, just like when they were little.

“Ha, yeah, that’s exactly what I meant” Landon smiled as he threw a plastic ball back into the ball pit. The sunlight streamed into the area, making Landon squint.

Marlee was sure she was blushing now. The way the sunlight struck his eyes made her insides squirm. She could see Landon’s pure eye colour. Marlee loved his green eyes and how they sparkled even without the sunlight.

“So”

"Yeah"

Landon turned towards her, resting his elbows on his knees. A smile was there on his lips. Marlee had the urge to smile back.

His smiles were always irresistible.

Finally making up her mind, Marlee took the five steps between them and sat down, leaning her shoulder against his leg. The sun warmed the mat where she was sitting now.

“That didn’t take very long” Landon laughed as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Be quiet”

“Exactly”

Marlee wasn’t sure, but she thought Landon’s cheeks were turning a light shade of red. Her stomach turned at the thought of this. She was glad Chelsea dragged her here.

Marlee was definitely loving it.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story was created while the author(me) was listening to "Time Warp"..that's right Becca..THE "TIME WARP"!

XD hehe