‹ Prequel: A Mistaken Identity

Amazing Almost Twins

Grounding

Knowing that Seraphina got in trouble because of my carelessness upset me. I never meant for this to happen. All I wanted to do was see my cousin go out and have some fun. Tyler gave her that chance. Of course, Phina getting caught caused a bit of a situation for us; it caused her to get grounded. And, it was only a matter of time until Scarlet and I got grounded as well. We had a hand in what happened and it was bound to be uncovered. “How much trouble do you think we’re going to get in?” Scarlet asked as we watched our aunt and uncle lecture Seraphina about sneaking out of the house to attend a party. “We’re bound to get in trouble for what happened. We helped her sneak out.”

“I hope not,” I said.

“Well, that’s too bad,” Aunt Kimber said.

“Mom!” Scarlet exclaimed.

Aunt Kimber groaned. “If you two will just have to get punished as well. You helped Seraphina sneak out, even though, I recall hearing it mentioned that you guys weren’t supposed to leave the house. That is not a good thing, girls. Phina was never supposed to go over to the Henrie house.” She sighed and left the room. I heard only one word my aunt said: Betsy. That was my mother’s name. And, if my mother was coming in, that was not good. Despite my parents being the fun ones, they could be the most strict is serious cases, my mother more so than my father. This was not good, particularly for me.

“What’s my mother doing?” Scarlet asked.

“Getting my mother, so it means nothing good,” I said.

“We should probably expect to be grounded then,” Scarlet said. “Now that my mother knows exactly what we did and is now telling Aunt Z what she uncovered as a result, I’m sure that something bad is going to happen. We’re probably going to get grounded for us trying to help Phina sneak out over to Tyler’s for that party. It’s not going to end well because you wanted Seraphina to be able to go out and have some fun. You were trying to force your own views on her. Seraphina is more of a worrywart than anything; she worries too much to have fun. I think that ultimately caused us to get into trouble. And, then because of that, we’re going to get grounded for who knows exactly how long.”

I groaned when my cousin mentioned this to me. I knew that she was definitely right about that. So, I was not looking forward to hearing my mother come in here and start lecturing me about the fact that I’m not supposed to be helping my cousin break the rules in order to go out and have fun. Listening to that was not going to be very enjoyable. My mother walked in and then began talking. Of course, I could barely pay attention to what she was saying. Even though I heard my mother say the word grounded, I didn’t really care. It was all just one big blur. And, despite the fact that Scarlet and I just got grounded for helping Seraphina, that wasn’t going to stop me from trying to have fun. Scarlet and I needed to have our chance to have fun. Our parents never wanted us to though, and I didn’t know why. I wanted to understand why they never wanted us to have fun.

Having fun was an absolute necessity for people. No one could survive without having fun in their lives. Of course, it certainly seemed as if each of our parents were trying to keep us from having fun. Why though? What in the world was going on with them? None of them ever seemed to like to have any fun. They seemed to believe that work was far more important than anything and were more focused on their careers as a result: my mother, father, and uncles each had their music careers, Aunt A had books to write, and Aunt Kimber had a foundation to run. They were always working. It was never fun with them. I couldn’t understand why they all stopped having fun. None of it seemed right. I wanted and needed to understand why this was going on. There had to be a reason that they stopped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.