‹ Prequel: A Mistaken Identity

Amazing Almost Twins

Investigation

After the interview ended, I pulled Seraphina out of the living room. I wanted to talk to her about all of this. Maybe she could help in trying to figure out why all of this was going on, why we weren’t allowed to have fun. If my almost twin could help me search for answers, this whole thing could be taken care of within hours. I could get back to having fun, or trying to. “Phina, I’m going to need your help with something,” I said. “I need to figure out why we’re not allowed to have fun. And, you’re the only one who can help me.”

“I’d rather not,” Seraphina said.

“Why not?” I asked.

“I have my own problems to deal with right now. Plus, with me being grounded, Mom and Dad aren’t going to let me do anything. Sorry, Summer, I just don’t think I can help you,” she said.

Once Seraphina left the room, Scarlet and I slipped down to sit in the tunnel. Now that we were each grounded, it didn’t really matter if we were down there. Plus, we needed a place to talk about what was going on, and why fun was prohibited in the Jonas family. In addition to that, I also had to go talk to Tyler about what happened since I promised Seraphina that I would. Now might be a good time for me to do that, before anything else happened. “Hey, Scarlet, I’m going to speak over to the Henrie house. I promised Phina that I would go talk to Tyler. Plus, there’s a chance that Tyler might be able to help me with the investigation I’ve recently started. He could help me figure out why no one in the Jonas family is ever allowed to have fun, why they don’t like to have fun anymore,” I said.

But, won’t Aunt Z and Uncle Joe find out?” Scarlet asked. “After all, you and Zack will have to go home pretty soon. You could get in even more trouble than you are now.”

I shrugged. “I’m still going.”

Scarlet nodded. “I’ll cover for you.”

Upon hearing about this, I snuck away from my cousin and headed off in the direction of the Jonas family recording studio. It was around that area that Tyler and Tina lived. When considering this, I wondered why my cousin didn’t use the tunnel in order to go over there and then to get back. It might have kept me, Scarlet, and Seraphina from getting grounded. Of course, there was no way of knowing if that actually would have worked. There was no way that I could be sure of the fact that today’s events would have changed if Seraphina had used the tunnel in order to travel back and forth between Tyler’s and here.

After sneaking through the recording studio that our family owned and traveling the block down to the Henrie house, I rapped lightly on the door. As I waited for someone to answer the door, I hoped that this was going to work, that this was going to help. Not only did I need to talk to Tyler about what happened, but I needed to talk with his parents about my family’s need to keep us from having fun. And, it needed to work. If it didn’t, there was no way that any of would ever get to have fun at all. The door opened and Tyler stood at the door. I peered inside and saw that he was still holding his party, the very same party that Phina got in trouble for attending. “Summer? What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I need to talk to you,” I said.

“What for?” he asked.

“Look, Phina’s grounded for this party that you decided to hold,” I explained. “You’ve also been banned from their house because it was your party that Seraphina decided to sneak out to. For the next two months, she’s stuck at home. So, you’re going to have to deal with the fact that you won’t be able to see your best friend for awhile. Now, do you happen to know where your parents are? I need to talk to them about something.

Before I was able to get an answer from Tyler, I heard Seraphina call out to me. Hey, Summer, do you have any idea as to what our parents might be keeping from us? Phina asked.

I’m not sure, Phina, I said.

Well, I’m sure they’re hiding something from us. During a part of the interview, it was mentioned that there was a long story behind yours and my births. No one will talk about it though. It’s like the circumstances behind our births is some big secret, she explained.

That’s true. They never do seem to mention things like that to us, I said. None of them ever do seem to like reminiscing about certain aspects of their lives. I wonder why that is.

I’m not sure, Summer. That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to figure out. I need to know what secret our parents have been keeping and why. There is something going on around us, something we’re oblivious to because you were always so intent on making us have fun. When I got grounded, it forced me to realize that Mom, Dad, Aunt Z, Uncle Joe, Aunt Kimber, and Uncle Nick have all been keeping something from us. Summer, I could use your help in trying to figure out what’s been going on. Now, what are you doing?
Seraphina asked.

I’m at Tyler’s, I replied.

You’re at Tyler’s? Are you…?

Of course. That’s why I’m over here. I’m also going to need his help in trying to figure out why we’re never allowed to have any fun. Since their parents were old friends of our parents, I’m going to try to see if they could tell me about what’s been going on. Sorry, Phina, I can’t help you. You might want to try looking to someone else
, I responded.

After briefly speaking with Seraphina about her situation, I turned back to Tyler, waiting for him to answer my question. “Why do you need to know?” he asked. “Any particular reason?”

“I need to ask them something,” I said.

“Well, they’re out of town,” Tyler said.

I rolled my eyes upon hearing this. “Let me know when they get back. I need to ask them about my own family and why certain aspects of my life exist. They might be the only ones who can help.”

Tyler nodded. “Sure.”

Upon discussing this with Tyler, I snuck back over to my uncle’s house. I knew that this had to work. And, it might be the only possible way for me to figure out why all of this was going on. I wanted to understand why me and my cousins were never allowed to have fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.