‹ Prequel: A Mistaken Identity

Amazing Almost Twins

At the Knights

After school ended, Scarlet and I decided to head over to Luke’s house for awhile; I needed to go talk to Luke’s parents, and Scarlet wished to spend time with Luke. So, despite the fact that we knew that we were each grounded, Scarlet and I headed over to the Knight house for a few hours. “Mom! Dad!” I’m home!” Luke called. “I need you in here

“What for?” Mrs. Knight asked.

“Summer Jonas wants to talk to you,” Luke said.

“Summer Jonas?” Mr. Knight asked in surprise when he heard my name was mentioned. “You mean Betsy’s daughter? Luke, what exactly does Summer want with us?”

By this time, Luke and Scarlet had already left the room. I was left alone in the room with Mr. and Mrs. Knight. I sighed and explained the situation to them. “Mr. and Mrs. Knight, I really need to ask you something,” I said once I noticed that my cousin and Luke had left the room. Since you guys were friends of my parents, you might know about what’s been going on. Now, do either of you know why my cousins and I are never allowed to have any fun?”

Mrs. Knight’s jaw dropped. “Summer, I am telling you right now, you really do not want to know about this. I was around when this happened. I had to help your mother get through everything that happened. Amanda would have been there to help her younger sister, but she was in New York at the time getting God Save the World published. Not only that but, Amanda and Kevin were nearly separated forever as a result of what happened all those years ago. The same thing happened with your parents as well.”

“Please, Mrs. Knight. I need to know what happened,” I said. Figuring out what happened in my parents’ past was important in order to understand why my cousins and I were never allowed to have any fun. I needed to understand what was going on, and Mrs. Knight could help with that.

Unfortunately, I never got the chance to hear what Mrs. Knight had to tell me; the phone rang and interrupted her before the story could be told. Mr. Knight went to pick the receiver. “Hello? Oh, hey, Betsy. Actually, she is. Sure, I’ll do that.” He hung the phone up and turned to face me. “Summer, your mother wants you to get home immediately. Something about you being grounded and supposed to be taking Zack out to the park for a few hours.”

“Damn it!” I exclaimed.

As I said goodbye to the Knight family, as well as Scarlet—who chose to stay a little bit longer—and slowly trudged home, I wondered why it was my mother’s intention to stop me from figuring all of this out. Just before I was able to uncover what was going and why me and my cousins were never allowed to have any fun from one of my mother’s friends, my mother had to swoop in and put a stop to that. Why? Did my mother really want to keep me and her nieces from having fun? And, if she did, what was the reason for that? Something was definitely going on here and I needed to know what it was. My mother was being completely unreasonable in regards to what was going on. Neither my mother nor my father was ever allowing me to go out a have a little fun for awhile.

“There you are!” Mom exclaimed when I walked in.

I groaned and shot a look at my mother as I came inside and slumped into a chair. “Why am I not allowed to go out and have some fun like any normal teenager is allowed to go do?” I asked. “Fun is a necessity that Scarlet, Seraphina, nor I ever get the chance to take advantage of.”

“Because you shouldn’t,” Mom said. “Now, I suggest that you get up to your room and get doing your homework. You’re grounded and shouldn’t even be going out at all.”

Upon begrudgingly going up to my room, I sat at my door, listening to what was going on downstairs. There was no way that I could sit there and do my homework, not when my father was talking about something that might interest me. “Lizard,” my father said, “maybe we should just tell her. We’re going to have to tell her eventually. Why not just tell her what’s been going on right now? She’s been asking now and it’s not going to stop.”

“No way, Joe!” Mom exclaimed. “We’ve spent two decades hiding this from her, trying to keep her safe. Remember, Joe, I nearly lost you because of what happened. I am not about to lose my daughter because she has to be a complete bitch about what happened.”

That was all I heard of the exchange between my parents. What in the world is going on here? I wondered. And, what in the world are they talking about? They say that they’re trying to protect me from someone. Who though? Who could they possibly be trying to protect me from and why? What in the world could have happened that caused all of this?
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.