World I Never Knew

Basic Understanding

An hour and a half later, Nick let out a long, low whistle and leaned back against the couch. Angela joined the brothers and sat beside Joe across from Nick, wringing her hands together on her lap. Joe gave Angela a sidelong glance and thought something over. He had left a few details of his story out when talking to Nick. He cleared his throat and Ang and Nick both turned to him. He was silent, staring at Angela, asking her a question with his eyes. She glanced at Nick, whose face was scrunched in confusion and back at Joe, nodding her head.

“What’s going on?” Nick asked, his eyes darting back and forth between the two people in front of him.

“These past few weeks… Angela and I have grown really close.” Joe said, producing a half-smile.

“Oh, cool. Well, at least something good came out of this hell we’ve been put through.” Nick said with a smile.

“Thanks for being so understanding, Nick.” Joe said, letting out a sigh.

“What’s not to understand? You made a new friend.”

“I don’t think he understands.” Angela whispered.

“Clearly.”

“What?” Nick asked, his face scrunching into confusion again.

“Nick, Angela and I are more than friends.” Joe said, turning to look at Angela. “I love her.”

“You what?” Angela asked, Nick echoing her.

“I do, Ang. I love you. I didn’t realize it until nick insulted you earlier. This fire just burst inside and it wasn’t all anger. It was like… I was insulted too and I had this need to defend you… to defend us.”

Angela sat silently across from Joe. He held her hands in his. A silent tear slid down her face and Joe reached across to wipe it away. Nick sat across from the two in awe.

“Don’t cry.” Joe whispered.

“I’m sorry.” She choked. “It’s just… after what happened to me I never thought anyone would ever love me. Hell, I never thought anyone would ever talk to me.”

“Well, it’s happened. I’ve fallen for you.” he said and she let out a small laugh.

“I… I love you, too.” She whispered. He smiled and leaned forward, softly placing his lips on hers.

“Angela… I want you to come home with us.” He said, nodding towards Nick who continued to sit in silence. “There’s not a chance in hell I’d leave you here.”

“Joe… I don’t know. The world you live in is completely different than the one I know and have grown used to. I’d love to meet your family, I really would, but… just look at me. I can’t be seen like this. What will people think?”

“Who cares what they think?” Joe asked, waving his arms. “I care about you so much and I will never, ever, let anyone harm you.”

He placed his hand on her left cheek, gently stroking the rough exterior. His brown eyes pleaded with her soft blue ones. Angela took in a deep breath and closed her eyes. She let out a sigh and opened her eyes again. With a slight smile she nodded her head and Joe embraced her in a tight hug.

“Go, pack. We’re leaving as soon as possible.” He said, a smile permanently etched upon his face. Angela stood up and headed to the stairs as Joe turned to his brother. “You okay, Nick?”

“Huh?” Nick asked, shaking his head.

“You haven’t said anything in like… ten minutes.”

“Sorry, I was just… processing things.” Nick said, running a hand through his curls. “Can I ask you something?”

“Shoot.”

“How could you have fallen in love with someone you barely know so quickly?”

“Nick, it takes a minute to meet someone, an hour to get to know them, a day to like them, and a week to fall in love.”

“Wow. You really, really, love her. Don’t you?’

“Yeah, Nick. I really do.”

“OK,” Angela said, coming down the stairs. “I have a lot of stuff packed, your clothes too, Joe. Nick, your wet clothes are in this bag.”

“Thanks,” Nick said, taking the bag from her.

“Did you have room for your painting stuff?” Joe asked.

“I didn’t pack it.” Angela said, grabbing her coat.

“Why not?”

“I just… right now I just have to leave that all behind. They will always be here and I can come and get them. Oh! That reminds me…” she said, rushing into the kitchen.

“Where are you going?”

“I have to leave a note in the mailbox for the kid that brings me food every week. Telling him I won’t need anything for awhile.”

“Oh, good thinking. Do you need me to do anything?”

“Can you clean all the food out of the fridge and cabinets to toss in the garbage? There shouldn’t be much.” She said as Joe opened the cabinets.

“Geez, it’s a good thing you got here when you did Nick.” Joe said, grabbing the few boxes left. “If you hadn’t… Angela and I probably would’ve been dead in a week from starvation.”

“Well you know how punctual I like to be.” Nick joked.

Five minutes later, the trio stood at the front door wrapped tight in coats and scarves. Joe held the two suitcases and glanced over at Nick and Angela as they prepared to head out into the frozen tundra that was Angela’s front lawn. Nick twisted the doorknob and they were met with a gust of wind. With a deep breath of cold, wintry air, Angela took her first step out into a world she didn’t know.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG
I'm so sorry it's been so long! I've been incredibly busy. Seriously.

So I sat down to watch some Gilmore Girls and BAM this chapter just like... poured out of me. I like it... kinda. I feel like the next one will be better. When that will be posted I'm not sure because... I still have to write it but... school comes first XD

Thanks so much for sticking with this story!!

Now... share your thoughts on the new chapter and layout?! =]

C/R/S

~Steph <3