World I Never Knew

Promises

The smell of bacon cooking woke Angela up the next morning. Yawning she sat up in bed and looked at the alarm clock. The bright red of the numbers shone 9:00 and she threw the covers off, swinging her legs over, her feet touching the cold hardwood floor. She sat and admired the guest bedroom for a moment. Joe passed it up saying he would be fine sleeping on the floor of the room Nick and Frankie were in. Angela smiled as she stood up, picking up the robe that she had set on the rocking chair and wrapping it around her body, sliding her feet into a pair of slippers.

Upon opening the door Angela could hear chatter from the kitchen. As she made her way downstairs she couldn’t help but notice the few pictures hanging on the walls, most from Kevin and Danielle’s wedding. She observed one particular photograph of the Jonas family standing in front of the altar. Danielle’s dress was absolutely beautiful but her eyes were drawn to Joe. A large smile was on his face yet something was missing from his eyes. Something she began to see the day that they had kissed. Happiness.

“You’re up.” Joe said, startling Angela. She turned and saw Joe standing at the bottom of the stairs. Hair a mess, glasses on, a mug of tea in hand.

“Morning.” She smiled, walking down the rest of the stairs. She turned her head towards the kitchen and saw Joe’s father on the phone, a piece of paper in his hands. “What’s your Dad doing?”

“Calling the police and a few other people informing them that I am alive and I am safe here.” He said, taking her hand in his and leading her to the kitchen. “Mom and Danielle are cooking. I hope you’re hungry.”

“Very,” she said, placing her other hand on her stomach as it rumbled when her nose was greeted with the smell of delicious food.

“Good morning, Angela.” Denise said, turning to her and smiling. “What would you like? I can make you an omelet.”

“Scrambled eggs are fine.” She said, motioning to the large bowl of already cooked eggs on the table. “It smells delicious.”

“Thank you. Help yourself.”

Angela smiled at Nick and Frankie across from her as she sat down, Joe taking the seat next to her. Kevin nodded his head when she looked towards him at the end of the table.

“Yes. Alright. Thank you, Officer. Goodbye.” Kevin Sr. said, hanging up the phone and scratching something off on the list. “Well, that’s the last call. Officer Boscorelli said that later this afternoon the police chief will make a public announcement stating that you are alive, Joseph, and that you have returned to us. There aren’t any promises that people will come here to try to question us so… it’s time to go back to California.”

“But I thought we were going to spend Christmas here.” Kevin said.

“I know, I’m sorry. No matter where we go paparazzi will always try to get to us but going home is best for us. Our original plan would have had us flying back there for New Year’s anyway.”

“Alright. When are we leaving?”

“Tonight. Marquis said they’ll have the jet ready for us to go by six. Will you all be ready by then?”

“Ang and I will. All our stuff is still packed.” Joe said, placing his hand on Angela’s thigh under the table. Angela had been silent throughout the whole exchange, her eyes darting back and forth between father and sons. Now, however, her gaze was on Joe.

“Can I talk to you?” she whispered.

“Yeah,” Joe said, giving her a questioning gaze. “Come on.”

The two stood up and Joe led Angela out to the living room but she headed towards the stairs. Joe didn’t speak, he just followed her. He could tell by the way she was acting something wasn’t right. She walked into the guest room she had stayed in and he followed. Closing the door behind them Joe turned to see Angela pacing the floor of the room, wringing her hands together.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Joe said, stepping over and placing his hands on her shoulders. “What’s wrong?”

“I can’t do this.” She said, lifting her gaze to his, her blue eyes darting back and forth. Joe reached up and pushed a few strands of her red hair behind her ear.

“Of course you can.” He whispered.

“No, Joe. I can’t. I can’t do this.”

“Why not?” he asked. He guided her to the bed and they sat down. He rubbed his hand in circles on her back.

“Coming here was hard enough for me. Now you want me to go out to California where it’s possible I’ll be even more in the spot light. I don’t think I can do this. I really don’t.” she sobbed. “If you didn’t think I was a monster, everyone else will.”

“Listen to me.” Joe said, holding Angela by the shoulder and looking her straight in the eye. He almost lost it when he saw a tear slide down her cheek. “You will be by my side every minute of every day. If anyone has anything to say about you at all they will say it to me. I do not care if they have a problem with it because I love you and I’m going to do whatever I can to make sure you’re safe. No one is going to harm you. Don’t pay any mind to what they say, alright. I’ll be there for you and so will the rest of my family. They just met you but they love you. You hear me?”

“Yeah… yeah.” Angela said, choking back tears and nodding her head. Joe pulled her into him and she rested her head on his chest. He stroked her hair back and kissed the top of her head repeatedly as he rocked them back and forth.

“Now, let’s go eat.” Joe whispered.

****

Good evening. As you all know, celebrity, Joe Jonas, has been missing for the past few weeks. I am pleased to announce that Mr. Jonas is alive and has returned to his family safely. I cannot disclose any further information. The Jonas family thanks you all for the concern and support you have showed throughout this whole ordeal. Thank you.

Angela stood in the entryway to the living room, watching the officer on the television. Kevin sighed and shut the TV off. He looked to his left and was startled to see Angela there. Clearing his throat he stood up, running his hand through his hair.

“So, are you ready to head to California?” he asked.

“I don’t know.” She said shrugging. “I’m scared because I don’t know how people will react to me and judging by how famous you three are, it won’t be good. I’m nervous because I haven’t been on a plane in about eight years. And yet… I’m excited.”

“I’m sure things will be fine.” He said, touching her arm lightly. She looked up at him, her red hair falling into her eyes.

“You don’t know what it’s like.” She whispered. “To have people come to your door and see your face and run away screaming. To live alone for so many years that you actually forgot what it was like to talk to someone. It’s horrible.”

“Hey, I’m going to promise something to you. Everything is going to change now. It’s going to be so different that you’ll think you’re in a different world.”

“I kind of already do. This, right here, feels like something I’ve never known before even though I have. I used to know love, I used to know family. It’s all just so… foreign.”

“Soon, it will be like you never forgot it.” He said winking at her before going upstairs to get a few more things.
♠ ♠ ♠
I celebrated Halloween Friday night so I spent last night writing this chapter :D

Ok, so, recap. Joe, Angela, and Nick made their way from Vermont to New Jersey to the house that Kevin and Danielle own there. Now it's about a week before Christmas. The family are going to fly out to their California house for the main purpose of working in a studio and filming some JONAS possibly... a New Year's extravaganza is in the works. Any thoughts on what might happen there?

So, thoughts on this chapter????

Thanks so much for reading!!!! Please leave me some comments :)

~Steph <3