World I Never Knew

La La Land

Angela sat on the bed of the guest room, packed suitcase on the floor in front of her. She was staring out the window at the swirls of snow drifting down to the ground. Footsteps were heard at the door. There was no need for her to turn her head to see who it was. She knew it was Joe. He quietly came in and sat on the bed next to her. It was silent for a few moments as they watched the hypnotizing drops of white float through the air.

“Big Rob’s here with the car.” He whispered.

“Okay.”

“Are you ready?”

“No.” she answered truthfully. “But I have no choice.”

“Of course you have a choice.” He said, grabbing her rough hand in his. “You can always go back to… to V-Vermont.”

His voice was starting to quaver. The sound of it broke her heart. She looked over at him and saw he was biting his lower lip, most likely to keep it from trembling. She knew he wanted her to stay with him. She wanted to stay with him just as much. It would be impossible for her to part from him. But to go to California… to Hollywood; it could be the biggest mistake of her life. Or, it could be the best decision she ever made. Maybe she could see that the world isn’t as cruel as she imagined it was. Just because she made it that way doesn’t mean it was. She sucked in a deep breath and squeezed Joe’s fingers.

“You’re right. I do have a choice.” She said, sucking in her cheeks and looking out the window again. Joe’s breath stilled as he waited for her answer. “I’ll go.”

“You won’t regret it.” He said, pulling her into him. “I promise.”

Placing one last kiss on her forehead, Joe stood up and grabbed Angela’s suitcase. She followed him down the stairs to where the rest of the family was waiting. The man she assumed to be Big Rob was bringing some of the luggage out to the waiting car. Angela could see bright flashes in the distance and she froze. Joe turned to look up at her where she stood on the staircase.

“Ang, what’s wrong?” he asked.

“P-P-Paparazzi.” She said, lifting her hand and pointing out the door. Joe turned and looked, his hands balled into fists.

“Dad!” he called over his shoulder. Mr. Jonas came into Angela’s view looking around.

“What’s wrong?”

“The paparazzi… what are they doing here? Angela is freaked.”

“Ok… we can work around this.” He said. He turned to the stairs where Angela stood in terror. “Angela, does your jacket have a hood?”

She nodded her head slightly and looked down at him.

“Put it up and try to get it as tight as you can, covering your whole face. Wrap a scarf around your head and put gloves on. Look down when you walk and Joseph will walk on your left side. Hopefully then, they won’t get a picture of anything.” He said. He walked a few steps up the staircase and put a hand on her shoulder, causing her to look at him. “I’m sorry about this. We will keep you safe.”

“Thank you,” she whispered.

A tear slid down her cheek and she reached over, placing a quick kiss on his cheek. He nodded his head once and went back down the stairs to talk to Rob. Angela wiped the tear away and walked down the stairs to Joe who handed her the coat she would wear. She put the coat on and zipped it, pulling the hood up around her face. Joe helped wrap the scarf around her head so only her eyes were visible. She pulled the gloves onto her hands and took in a deep breath.

“Ok, I promise I will be by your side the entire thirty feet from the door to the car. You’re going to sit in between Nick and I. Just remember… this is nothing compared to what will happen in California.”

“Because that makes me feel better.” She said, sounding muffled by the scarf.

“I know. I’m sorry.” He said, putting a hand on the back of her head and touching their foreheads together. “Let’s do this.”

“Okay.” She whispered, closing her eyes and nodding her head.

Joe linked the fingers of his right hand with those of Angela’s left hand. They both took in a deep breath and stood behind Big Rob, Nick behind them. Big Rob led the way out the front door to the car. Camera flashes went off everywhere but Angela kept her head down.

“Joe! Glad to be back?”

“Who’s the new girl?”

“Is this a new girlfriend Joe?”

“What’s her name?”

“Nick, was the reconciliation with your brother heart-breaking?”

“Why the sudden decision to return to California?”

“Kevin, Danielle, any baby news?”

Finally, after what seemed like the longest walk of their lives, they had reached the car. Nick rushed around Joe and Angela and slid into the backseat followed by Angela and then Joe. The boys’ mother took the front seat while the rest of the family went into the next car.

“Well,” Nick said, sitting back and placing an arm around Angela’s shoulders. “That was fun.”

****

In what seemed no time at all, the Marquis jet landed in California. Angela looked out the window at the bright horizon before her. Waiting on the tarmac were two cars similar to the ones that had been in New Jersey. Accompanying them, were a couple of paparazzi lounging around. More than had been in New Jersey. Angela gulped, reaching her arm across the rest to grab onto Joe’s wrist. He turned to look at her and in his peripheral vision saw the paparazzi.

“It’ll be okay.” He whispered.

“But we’re in California where there’s no need for gloves or scarves or jackets with hoods. I have nothing to cover myself up with and right now I cannot deal with this. It’s too much to take in right away.” She whispered fearfully.

“We’ll walk fast and behind Big Rob. I promise no one will get to you here right now. Do you trust me?”

It was silent as Angela contemplated his question. She turned her head to look out the window back at the paparazzi. Turning her head back to Joe her eyes met his which were searching her face for an answer.

“Do you trust me?” he asked again with more feeling.

“Yes. I trust you. Completely.” She said, lacing her fingers with his.

As soon as the jet doors opened the paparazzi came to attention and rushed forward. Big Rob headed to the front, followed by Joe, Angela, and Nick, then the rest of the family. Joe stood on Angela’s left side and Nick flagged her right. Rob led the way out, spreading his arms wide to keep the paparazzi at bay.

“Who are you hiding?”

“What’s it like to be back in California?”

“How’s married life Kevin?”

“Joe, are you relieved to be back with family?”

“Who’s the red head?”

They reached the cars and climbed in quickly. Angela rested her head against the back of the seat and turned to face Joe. He ran a hand through his hair and looked over at her. Rob climbed into the drivers’ side and started the car.

“Does it get any easier?” she asked. Joe glanced over her shoulder at Nick. She turned to him as well before turning back to Joe.

“A little bit. It’s always tough. I can’t promise that it will get easier but I can’t promise that it won’t. It’s a tough life we live. I took you out of something so simple and am putting you into this extreme world.”

“You didn’t do anything.” She said, raising a hand to his cheek and gently stroking it. “This was my choice. I’ll take what comes and learn to live with it.”

“I love you.” he whispered, mirroring her action and raising a hand to her cheek, running his thumb over the smoothness of the right side. His brown eyes bored holes into her blue ones.

“I love you, too.” She whispered. He leaned forward and kissed her gently as Rob drove through the streets of LA. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she looked out the window at the passing city. Palm trees and seagulls and people everywhere. Everything was so new. Soon, it would be so familiar.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woot!
New chapter :D

So I've got another contest going!
Wonderful Christmastime Song-Fic Contest
Obviously it's a one-shot contest using Christmas songs! I have 14 available spots for anyone who wants to join :D :D :D :D

Thoughts?

Thanks so much for reading! How about some comments!

~Steph <3