World I Never Knew

Love Is On Its Way

The next morning Joe woke up freezing. He rifled through his belongings and put on the heaviest things he could find but was still really cold. Downstairs, Angela was in the kitchen pouring herself some cereal. Joe walked in and sat across from her, his body shaking slightly.

“You’re shaking.” She observed, putting the milk back in the refrigerator.

“I’m freezing.” He said.

“If you ever need anything warmer… I still have my Dad’s old clothes. You can look through them and find things to wear.” She said.

“That would be great.”

“They’re in the bedroom next to the one you’re staying in.” she said.

“Thanks,” Joe said, flashing her a smile.

He rose from the table and traveled up the stairs to the bedroom adjacent to his. The closet was the first thing he searched. In it he found a multitude of sweaters. He hastily pulled one on and instantly felt warmth fill his body.

Right when he was about to turn and leave the room something on the closet floor caught his eye. Sticking out of a cardboard box were a few pages of sheet music. Joe pulled the box towards him and opened the flaps. He was surprised to find music book upon music book. After awhile of looking through them he figured he should get back downstairs before Angela came searching for him.

At the bottom of the stairs, instead of taking the familiar left through the living room towards the kitchen, he decided to take a right. He was led through a dining room into another room, somewhat like a parlor. In the corner of the room, was a grand piano. Joe smiled to himself when he saw the great musical instrument in front of him.

Silently, he walked over to it and lifted the key cover. His fingers ran over the smooth ivory keys. It looked like it hadn’t been played in awhile. He pulled the bench out and sat on it, setting his fingers on the familiar notes.

Angela looked up from the bowl she was washing at the sink when she heard the familiar sound of the piano being played. She hadn’t touched it in years… not since her parents had been alive. The song being played was unfamiliar to her. Curiously, she walked out of the kitchen into the parlor.

She stood in the shadows, watching Joe as he played. He closed his eyes and rocked back and forth as his fingers stroked the keys. Angela realized he was silently singing along to whatever he was playing but she couldn’t quite make out the words so she slowly walked closer, keeping quiet so she wouldn’t disturb him. Unfortunately, she stepped on the squeaky floorboard and Joe’s eyes snapped open and he instantly stopped playing.

“Don’t stop.” She said and he blushed.

“I’m sorry.”

“What for?” she asked as she walked right up to the piano. She rested her elbows on the opposite side so she was facing Joe.

“Well I probably shouldn’t be playing this.”

“No it’s fine. I thought it would be out of tune. It hasn’t been touched in five years. It’s one of the only things on this floor that wasn’t damaged in the fire. You’re pretty good.”

“Ha, thanks.” He said, laughing and looking down; a slight blush rising to his cheeks.

“What were you playing? I didn’t recognize it.”

“Oh, it was a song that my brothers and I sing. It’s called Love Is On Its Way.”

“It sounded beautiful. Can you play it again but maybe… sing so I can hear you?” she asked. She was truly interested in hearing the song and, she would never admit it out loud, she wanted to hear what Joe’s voice sounded like when he sang.

“Yeah, alright… I don’t normally sing the whole thing myself but I’ll do my best.” he said and she nodded in understanding.

His fingers smoothly flew across the keys as he played the familiar melody again. Angela closed her eyes and listened. Joe’s voice sent her heart racing. She listened intently to the words, instantly falling in love with the song.

Joe had closed his eyes when he started singing again. He knew this song like the back of his hand and felt confident as he played. There was a certain line coming up and he wanted to see Angela’s face when he sang it so he opened his eyes. He slightly smiled as he sang when he saw Angela, still resting against the piano with her eyes closed, listening to the song.

“Lonely, I believe that you will find me, and together we will truly see that love is on its way.” He sang and Angela slightly smiled. Joe felt warmth in his body when he saw her reaction.

He wasn’t falling for her… not exactly. From what he could sense from Angela, she didn’t want him to like her. She said no one could ever love her because she was a monster. He didn’t believe that. He saw that Angela was still beautiful. Just because half of her was scarred didn’t mean the other half was ugly.

Like he had said the day before, he was intrigued by her. He wanted to know everything about her and he wanted her to know everything about him. All he wanted from her would be a few hours sitting in front of the fireplace and just talking. About their families, childhoods, future dreams but… he felt he’d be invading her. He was torn. Torn between finding out about this young woman in front of him and torn between keeping to himself and letting her keep her peace.

Near the end of the song Angela opened her eyes and watched Joe as he finished up. His eyes were still closed as he sang the rest of the song. She rested her head in her hands and felt strongly for him. She did want to get to know him, she really did but she had been keeping to herself so much these past five years that she was unsure if she could open herself up or not.

The song ended and Joe opened his eyes, looking right into Angela’s. It was silent as they stared at each other for what seemed like eternity. She looked away first, clearing her throat. He awkwardly stood up and put the key cover down, stepping around the piano.

“That was… really good.” She said, looking anywhere but at him.

“Thanks. I’m glad you liked it.” He said, looking only at her. She glanced up and saw him looking at her. She felt uncomfortable and giddy at the same time. “Maybe I’ll play for you again sometime.”

“That would be… nice.” She said. “Come on… you’re probably hungry.”

She walked past him into the kitchen. As she passed his hand slightly grazed hers and she shivered. She thought it was all an accident but he had put his hand out on purpose. He wanted to touch her… to see if he would get that electric shock he always felt when he met a girl he wanted to date.

He did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Joe felt something!!!!!!!! Awwwwwwwwwwww

Do you think he'll tell her yet? Will he finally sit down and try to talk with Angela?
Don't forget about the third floor. What could be up there? What about Joe's family???

So many questions to be answered! Leave me your thoughts!

Going to camp until tomorrow.

Thanks so much for reading, commenting, subscribing and all that. You guys are awesome! =]

C/R/S

~Steph <3