World I Never Knew

Not Half Bad

Thanksgiving Day
Household of Kevin and Danielle Jonas II


Mass-hysteria. Frantic chatter. A box of tissues in the corner. Flashing lights outside. Scratching on notepads. Shiny badges. Phones. Walkie-talkies. Photographs. Maps. Confusion.

Denise sat on the couch, her daughter-in-laws arms wrapped around her. Her vision was blurred by her sobs. Kevin Sr. stood with two of his sons, talking with the police while Frankie sat on the stairs, watching the chaos.

“When was the last time someone heard from your son?” Office Boscorelli asked the distraught father.

“Uh… what would you say boys? About nine days ago?” he asked, looking at his sons. They both ran their hands over their faces, their curly hair bouncing on their heads.

“Yeah that sounds about right.” Nick answered.

“We tried calling him for the past two days. His cell phone must be off or dead because it kept going to his voicemail.” Kevin added.

“Alright and when you last contacted him where was he?”

“Still in Maine. He was supposed to be here about four or five days ago depending on traffic and the snow.” Kevin Sr. answered and Officer Boscorelli let out a low whistle.

“That gives us quite the radius to search.” He muttered. “We’ll take the most recent picture you gave Officer Yokas and send it to all units in major areas spread throughout all possible states he could be in. Do you have his license plate number?”

“Yes,” Kevin Sr. said nodding. Officer Boscorelli wrote the numbers down as they were given to him. Kevin walked away from his father and younger brother to go talk to his youngest brother.

“Hey Frankie.” He whispered, sitting on the stairs next to him.

“Where could he be Kev?” Frankie asked, looking through his curls at his eldest brother, worry etched upon his young face. Kevin sighed and put his head in his hands.

“We don’t know. He could be anywhere. He could be…”

“Dead?” Frankie whispered.

“Don’t say it.” Kevin whispered back, rubbing his temples with his finger tips.

“We’re all thinking it Kevin.”

“Please Frankie. For Mom’s sake.” He said, lifting his head and looking over the stairs rails over to his mother and wife. Both had tears dripping down their faces. Officer Yokas was crouched on the floor in front of them, trying to give comforting words.

“Should we go talk to her?” the youngest Jonas asked, following his brothers’ gaze towards their mother.

“I’ll go.” Kevin whispered. He walked over to the three women and Officer Yokas stood up. Kevin gave her a nod and she gave a comforting smile in return. “Hey Mom.

“Kevin,” she cried, taking his hand.

He sat on the couch next to her and she leaned onto his shoulder, her tears soaking his shirt. He wrapped his right arm around her, extending the fingers of that hand to Danielle who wrapped her small hand around them.

“Shhh,” he whispered, rocking their bodies. “It’s alright Mom.”

“Where is he?” she choked out. “Why hasn’t he called? What’s wrong?”

“Mom, I’m sure he’s fine.” Danielle said, trying to reassure her. “If he’s still up north, there’s probably worse snowfall than there is here. He could just be stuck.”

“Right,” Kevin said, sending a thanking glance to his wife. “Dani’s right Mom. The snow has got to be worse. Look at what we have here.” He said, gesturing to the window.

“This is the worst we’ve ever had it around Thanksgiving.” Danielle continued. “He was coming from Maine. Snow is always terrible up in New York and Vermont and New Hampshire. He’s probably in a hotel where the phone lines are down or something. Joe would never have you worrying about him.”

“Yes,” Denise said, swallowing the lump in her throat and using a tissue Kevin handed her. “Snow. He’s stuck somewhere without phone lines. The police will take his picture and send it to all the others and they’ll search his license plate and they’ll find him in no time.”

“Exactly.” Kevin said, kissing her on the top of the head. “Nothing to worry about.” Some Thanksgiving…

****

“Hey Ang?” Joe called from the kitchen.

“What?”

“How exactly do you know when the turkey is done cooking?” he asked, poking at it with the prongs. He had to practically shout because of the crazy wind outside.

“Uh… when it looks done?” she suggested, shrugging her shoulders from the couch where she was resting. Her head was aching as well as her side from the bruises. “Look at the recipe on the counter.”

“I am but…”

“Just let me come in there and see it.” She sighed.

“No. You are staying out there. You need to lie down.” He said hastily, scrambling from the kitchen into the front room. He shoved Angela’s shoulders gently so she was resting against the couch again. “I can do this.”

“Are you sure?” she asked, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

“No.” he said. “But I’m sure as hell going to try.” He stood up and started making his way towards the kitchen.

“Don’t you dare start another fire in my house Jonas.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it… uh… you know, you never told me your last name.” he said, turning at the waist to look at her.

“I’ll tell you… when we eat.” She said and he rolled his eyes.

****

An hour or two later, the dining room table was set for two, a few candles were lit creating a soft atmosphere, and the food was plated. Joe stepped around the corner to wait at the bottom of the stairs for Angela. She had said she wanted to change into something more appropriate for dinner. While she was getting ready he freshened himself up as well.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs he straightened his tie and ran his fingers through his hair. The free time sent his heart racing and his mind wandering. He should be home with his family. There was no doubt they’d be in total freak out mode by now. No doubt the police were searching for him. His head snapped up when he heard Angela clear her throat and he gasped.

****

While Joe was downstairs putting the finishing touches on the meal, Angela was in her room making herself look as presentable as possible. She wanted to dress appropriately so she looked through all of her mother’s old clothes. In the back of the closet was an old evening gown from a function her parents had gone to. Taking it out she slipped it on and it was the perfect fit.

It was a pale yellow dress; a spaghetti strap halter with an embellishment on the chest. It flowed down longer in the back than the front, about mid-calf length. Searching deeper into the closet she found the perfect silver heels to match. Standing in front of the mirror she tried to figure out what to do with her hair.

Fifteen minutes later she decided to leave it down, but clip some of it together in the back. She found a diamond barrette in her mother’s old jewelry box. After running the brush gently through her hair she pulled some back and carefully slid the clip in and snapped it in place.

“Not half bad.” She muttered to herself as she stared in the mirror a few extra seconds.

Her heart fluttered in her chest, worried what Joe would think. She took a deep breath and opened the door. The floor boards creaked a little as she walked to the top of the stairs. Joe was standing at the bottom, wringing his hands together as he waited for her. He had changed into a dinner jacket and tie. She cleared her throat and his head snapped up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the dress

What do you think of this chapter? Don't worry I won't leave the night at that, next chapter will continue it :D By the way Boscorelli and Yokas are from a show that used to be on TV called Third Watch

Thanks so much for reading!

C/R/S

~Steph <3