Sequel: Kickstart My Heart

Chicks=Trouble

Back To California

The next morning Jessica woke up with her head on his shoulder and his arm around her. She snuggled closer to him and lay there listening to his heart beat. Zack knew she was awake and he rolled so that he could look at her. His green eyes melted into hers. She smiled and he kissed her. He held her for a moment before she muttered something about needing to get up even though she didn’t want to. He let go of her and let her up. She stood from the bed and walked to the bathroom. He heard the shower start and shook his head. He was not letting her shower alone. Jessica grinned a second later as he joined her.

Leanne was sitting on the edge of her and Brian’s bed looking at the phone in her hands. They hadn’t been able to get a hold of Jess so they had called her. Her grandfather passed away around midnight. She couldn’t believe it. He was gone. Brian was holding her and she was soon crying. Thank god they had both already showered and changed because the knock at the door that sounded was followed by a come on let us in guys. It was Jacey and Matt. Brian stood and let them in, then went back to Lea. She had curled up in a ball on the bed. She hadn’t yet been able to get a hold of Jess. Jace saw her friend at the same time Brian saw her ring.

“What the hell did you do this time Haner?”

“It wasn’t me I swear.” And Leanne sat up and let Jacey hug her.

“Papaw…”

“Have you called Jess?”

“She’s not answering…”

“That’s because I’m right here Lea what happened?”

“WE have to go home. Papaw…”

“NO” Jessica cried out and Zack grabbed her before she hurt herself. She turned in his arms and cried. Kelly, Jimmy, James, Jacoby, Aaron, and Josh walked up and took in the scene in front of them. The twins were crying but they were wrapped in the arms of the men that claimed to love them so whatever it was wasn’t band related at all.

“We were just coming to see if you guys were ready to head out, what’s wrong?” James asked.

“Their going back to California, something happened last night with their grandfather.” Jacey said. “Matt I’m going with them. The man was like family to me too.”

“Okay, just call us to make sure you all got there okay.”

“I will babe.” and with final good-byes they all went their own directions and when they were in the hotel lobby Jessica turned back to Zack who was checking out with the guys and hugged him.

“I’ll be back as soon as I can I promise.” He looked down at her and held her.

“Just be careful okay. And you know if you need me just call. Unless I’m onstage no matter what time of day it is I’ll answer the phone I promise.” and he kissed her gently on the forehead. She hugged him one last time and turned to join the other two girls who were shaking their heads.

“Friends or what?” Jimmy asked repeating the question he asked the night before. Knowing somehow that there was going to be an answer this time. Jessica spun around really quick and shook her head as she heard what Zack said.

“Couple, definitely.” She grinned and turned to leave. The girls rolled their eyes and shook their heads. Fifteen hours later they were at Jessica and Leanne’s grandparents house and the twins were crying and Jacey was helping to get them something to drink. She made Lea a strong alcohol based drink and handed Jess a sprite laced with a little bit of lime juice. The only way she would drink it. The girls sat on either side of their grandmother. She was trying to not cry, but she had broken down a little bit too. Jacey had already given her a vodka and sprite. She settled in the chair across from the three and sipped her tea. Someone had to stay sober after all. An hour later when the door bell rang Jacey got up and answered it. She had sent Jess to bed and Lea had fallen asleep holding her crying sister. Who due to the pregnancy was worse than she probably would have been, because everyone knew that Jessica could take more than Leanne could. Ada Hathaway had gone to bed hours before. It was really early in the morning still. The sun wasn’t even up. And the clock read 4:55. As Jacey made her way to the door she sighed, this was hard on her friends and she knew it. She opened the door and let her mom and dad in. She hugged them and they asked how the twins and Ada were doing.

“Their all asleep. Ada’s trying to be strong, but you can tell she really can’t believe this has happened. Jess is taking it worse than she normally would and Lea is the one trying to be strong for all of them.”

“Good thing that they have a friend like you, now come on lets get this place straightened up and have coffee and food ready for when they wake up. Honey, do me a favor and wash those dishes that are in the sink.” Ellie told her husband and daughter. Jacey shook her head and did as her mother instructed. Her dad sighed and walked to the sink. Leanne made her way downstairs about two hours later. She took the cup of coffee that Anthony handed her. She sat down and watched Ellie cook. The three of them sat there talking to Jacey’s mom when Ada wondered in ten minutes later. She got a cup down and sat at the table with her coffee as well.

“Where’s Jessica?” Anthony asked.

“She got sick last night so I’m betting she’s gonna be a while yet.” Leanne responded to his question.

“She got sick?” Ellie asked, turning to the group at the table. “What she have the flu?”

“Ha no she’s got this sickness called pregnancy.” Leanne said smiling.

“Yeah, but I don’t consider it a sickness. Morning, everyone.” Jessica said walking in. the phone was to her ear and Lea rolled her eyes when Jess started talking to the person on the other end.

“I’m fine I’m just letting you know we got here okay, and well by the time we got down crying and all that last night Jace was making everyone go to bed and it was about three in the morning. You guys had a show and I didn’t want to call and wake you up.” She listened as he responded back and a small smile crossed her face. Before she told him she would call him later. She hit the talk button on the cordless phone and sat it on the counter as she pulled her creamer out of the fridge. She poured her coffee and then poured the creamer in. She walked to the table and sat down taking a sip then laying her head on the table.

“Who was that?” Ellie asked.

“Zack” Jessica said as if that explained everything. Her grandmother smiled at her and patted her back. She was glad that Jess had fixed things with the man. He had spoke to her before she went and found Jess in the bathroom that morning and decided that she liked the boy.

“Who?”

“My boyfriend.” Jess clarified as breakfast was sat in front of her. She ate everything that was on her plate including the peppers that were in the omelets, and she hated peppers. Not much was said during the meal, but Ellie and Anthony cleaned up and let them go get dressed and do what they had to that day. Around four in the afternoon when Jessica was pulling up into her grandmother’s driveway a blue Honda civic pulled in behind her and she rolled her eyes. Her mother was there. Jacey who was cleaning out the garage with Leanne and Ada to keep their minds busy walked over to take the pizza that Jessica handed out the door before getting out of the drivers seat. She then turned to her mom.

“What the hell are you doing here?”

“I heard about dad…” and she didn’t say it like it hurt either.

“Why are you here Jolene?” Ada asked her daughter.

“So how’d the old man die?”

“Unless you’re here to pay your respects to your father you need to leave.” Ada had drawn the line long ago with her only daughter. Jacey and the twins walked to join the older woman.

“Look bitch one way or another I’ll get what’s mine.”

“I’d like to know how you think your father and I owed you money when we took the girls because you signed over your rights to them to us.” Jessica and Leanne looked at their mom, then their grandmother.

“YOU DID WHAT?” Jessica yelled and Leanne wrapped an arm around her sisters shoulders. Leanne glared at her mother and shook her head.

“Leave now.” was all Ada said and with that for the last time in their lives the twins saw their mother. As emotional as Jessica was it was nothing compared to how Violent Leanne had suddenly gotten.

Fifteen days later the guys were playing their last show in Long Beach and the trio of girls were headed out to meet their men. Jessica had gone to the doctor during her time home and had ultrasounds to show Zack. She was excited to see him after two weeks of not seeing him and Leanne and Jacey were way to antsy to see their men and if anyone was smart enough they would stay away from the two and their men for a while and not wonder where they were at. As they pulled up in Jessica’s truck they laughed and got out. They were all happy and had slowly gotten over the shock of their grandfathers death and the news about their mother. Jacey had been there for them all through it. When they headed toward the entrance they were greeted with a site that made all three of them smile. Leaning on the wall outside was Zack, Matt, and Brian. Jess took her time walking over to her man, but the others took off at a dead run. Zack shook his head and muttered something under his breath.

“What was that Zack?” Matt asked once he came up for air from kissing his fiance hello.

“I called ya’ll animals.” Jessica snorted and covered her face to hide the rest of the laughter that was threatening to spill out. She grinned as she wrapped her arms around Zack and he pulled her to him.

Jacey and Matt walked off hand and hand to find a place a little more private and she listened as he told her what she had missed on tour and how the other guys had bragged about how they got a break from accidentally walking in on them or Brian and Leanne. Jacey laughed and told him that they could get over it. Brian was actually glad to be back with Leanne because he was afraid that he would loose it without her. But then again none of them were as bad as Zack.

“So hey you know since the drama’s over when the hell are the two of you getting married?” Leanne shouted after Jacey and Matt who turned before the door closed behind them.

“No clue yet.” Matt responded and they waited for the others to catch up.

“Well figure it out. I wanna know when I can expect Jacey’s mom to flip out that her little girls married.” Lea said smirking. Brian laughed.

“Yeah yeah yeah, shut up, my mom just loves me too much okay. Although when dad saw the ring he about flipped the fuck out.”

“Ha yeah we weren’t awake when he saw it. What’d he say?” Jess asked.

“Holy Fucking Hell”

“At least we know where she gets it from.” Zack said laughing.

“What the fuck are you talking about?”

“Uhm when you read that paper saying Jess was pregnant you said the same damn thing.” James said. Jacey looked confused for a moment and then it hit her.

“Oh yeah I guess I did.”