Sequel: Kickstart My Heart

Chicks=Trouble

Spending Time

Jessica found herself staring at a small box in Zack’s hand and she looked up into his eyes just as he began to speak.

“Jess, I know I messed up but what I know more than anything right now is that I love you. And I know that I want to spend my life with you.”

“Zack…” Jessica was at a loss for words and swallowed hard when Zack flipped open the box.

“Jessi, will you marry me?” A single tear slipped down her face as she spoke.

“Yes” she said as he slipped the ring on her finger. Zack wrapped her in his arms and held her and she buried her face in his shoulder.

"I have one more thing for you."

"What Zack?" He unhooked his keys from his pants and took something off of them.

"Will you move in with me?"

"Yes" and she once more found herself in his arms. A moment later however the mood changed when they heard the yelling coming from inside. Brian walked out and joined them on the porch.

“You’re grandmother and Leanne don’t get along very well do they?” Brian asked as he leaned on the porch railing. Jessica glanced up at him and rolled her eyes.

“No, Lea has always been the rebel, last time she brought a guy home it was Jake. He was a complete ass. He used Lea for money and made her believe that he loved her. He spent the night one night and Grams and papaw had gone somewhere that weekend and thought that they could trust us home alone. I spent the night at Jacey’s and got home when Grams and Papaw did. Lea was in her room with Jake. They were well never mind. Anyways Grams got pissed. Kicked Lea out. We were seventeen, going on eighteen anyway. She stayed with friends until she was old enough to get an apartment. Eventually Grams and Papaw forgave her for abusing their trust but turned out that they were right about Jake. He went around school bragging about sleeping with her and made her out to be a whore.”

“So because of all that?”

“Yeah Brian, look don’t take it personal. Let me talk to Grams. I think it has more to do with Lea and what happened with Jake then anything else.”

“Yeah, it’s just I can tell that Lea is pretty damn upset.”

“Don’t worry Brian I’ll take care of it. Be back out in ten minutes and if it’s longer than that you might want to call Jacey and get her to come over here.” and with that Jessica moved from Zacks arms and smiled at him before slipping inside. She followed the shouting to the kitchen.

“I don’t know what you’re problem is Grams I’m an adult! And it doesn’t matter Brian loves me…”

“Alright that’s it break it up now. Grams sit down please Lea, go take five and come back in. You guys have really got to let this go.”

“She should’ve told me he was spending the night.”

“I wasn’t sure if he was staying when he dropped me off and you were asleep. What was I supposed to do leave a note?” Lea asked as she paced the kitchen. Completely ignoring the looks she was getting from her sister. But at least the yelling stopped.

“Grams, you’re still mad about Jake, we all are but that was years ago. It’s over and done with. We’ve all moved on. Yes Lea is a ditz and stupid when it comes to guys, but not this time. There’s no point in arguing with her about it.”

“Have you seen that man he’s covered in tattoo’s.”

“So is Zack.”

“Yes but you’re sensible about things and don’t just jump into things.”

“Grams, I’m the pregnant one and you’re calling me sensible?”

“She has a point.”

“Shut up Lea.”

“The point is you have better judgment than your sister.”

“Fine you want my judgment, Brian’s a great guy and he treats Lea right, he isn’t interested in her for money, yes they share a bed, but he loves her. If you trust me then trust me on this. That man out there, both of them for that matter, love me and Lea. They aren’t going anywhere.” Ada watched her granddaughter for a moment and slowly began to nod.

“Grams there’s something else bugging you though and it’s got you agitated enough to go off on even me, what’s wrong?”

“I’m sick again.” Jessica dropped into a chair and Lea stopped moving around the kitchen. They both looked at their grandmother.

“How serious?” Lea asked.

“They don’t know.” Jessica started crying and so did Lea. Both girls hugged their grandmother and just stood there silently for a moment. When they moved apart Jess wiped a few tears from her eyes and Lea moved outside to get the guys. When they walked into the kitchen Jessica was pulling out stuff to make cookies and Lea laughed.

“Oh lord here she goes trying to get her mind off it. Hope you guys are up for a round of baking. She bakes cookies to blow off steam.” Zack rolled his eyes and Brian bit his lip glancing toward Ada. The woman stood and walked over to him.

“I’m sorry about all of this, I’m not myself right now. It’s nice to meet you despite the circumstances.”

Matt and Jacey were sitting across from her parents with notebooks and colors spread between them. Matt looked at Jacey and she smiled wearily. As Jacey’s parents got up to go get drinks and some more snacks Jacey placed her head in her hands and sighed.

“Jacey, it’s gonna be okay.”

“They’re driving me insane Matt. It’s like we have no say and I really just wish that she’d listen to me.”

“I know, at least you talked her into the dress you wanted.” That made her laugh and she kissed him and he pulled her to his lap and she grinned as she wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned in to kiss him. Five minutes later when her parents walked back in his hand was on her side and they still hadn’t come up for air. Ellie’s jaw hit the ground and Anthony cleared his throat. The two pulled apart and Jacey grinned as she moved back to her chair and took the coke her dad handed her. She glanced at Matt who smirked at her. She tried not to laugh. Her mom’s face was paler than usual and Jacey hoped she could keep herself under control in front of her parents for the next few hours, before she got Matt home and in bed. If they made it to the bed that is.

Kelly was sitting with Jimmy on the back porch while he ran the grill that night and smiled as he took a sip of his beer before flipping the steaks. He glanced at her and she grinned back. She got up and walked over to where he was. He put one arm around her and picked his beer up with his free hand before speaking.

“I have everything I need right here, thank god.”

“Really and what is that?” Kelly asked him.

“My woman, a beer and being home.” Kelly laughed and leaned against him as they stood there she thought about the fact that she had everything she wanted in him and she could care less where they went as long as they were together.

Johnny was laughing as he pulled Lacey next to him. They were walking down the street and enjoying the day. They weren’t thinking about anything but the moment that they were in. They didn’t know where they were walking to but they didn’t care. They stopped in front of an ice cream place and walked in. They walked out five minutes later each with an ice cream cone and walking hand in hand.

“You know I wonder if Matt is keeping his hands off Jacey with her parents around.” Lacey said as they passed a store displaying wedding dresses.

“That’s a good question, you want me to call and check up on him?” Johnny asked laughing. Lacey grinned and laughed when he removed his hand from hers and pulled out his cell phone.