Beyond the Gate

Time Will Fade Everything

The sky was overcast and grey, rain slowly began to fall, splattering on many houses and gardens. People in the street walked hurriedly back into their houses and carriages rattled along the poor road, the horses whinnying in displeasure as their hooves sunk into the muddy potholes.

Finally, when all was silent, a small figure appeared at the window of an old, grand house. The house was big and housed many rats and bugs, but it wasn’t always this way. The overgrown garden had been an array of colour and beauty, the peeling paint on the walls, inside and outside, had been fresh, and the rooms had been filled with laughter and happiness.

The small figure floated through the house, her pink, frilly dress billowing out behind her. All the furniture was ruined and faded in colour, making the rooms look awfully drab and dead. The figure blinked and entered a room which looked to be, once upon a time, a child’s room. There was a doll’s house, dolls, teddies and a large, pink bed against one of the walls. All of these toys were dusty and had been wrecked from the rats, leaving them old and disgusting. The only thing untouched by time, was the lone, floating figure. She was the prettiest doll you had ever seen. Her body was made with expertise, as was her dress and her fairy wings were fragile and glossy. Her face was just like a 5 year olds face, and her eyes could blink, and her mouth could open and close. Her ears were pointed, like an elf’s, and her shoes were made of a hard, pink glass, similar to the ones Cinderella wore to the ball. Her toes and fingers were made accurately, and her skin and dark brown hair almost felt real. In fact, if you put your ear to her chest, you could hear a faint beating noise. Her name was Flo.

Flo moved around the bedroom, reaching out to everything, as if the room was still alive. She turned and faced a narrow staircase, which led to a small bathroom. Flo began to float up the stairs, but stopped halfway. She turned around again, as if she was going to go back down, but instead, she sprawled herself over the dusty stairs headfirst and recalled what happened 10 years ago…