Annie

One of One.

She had the most beautiful laugh. Whenever you heard it, you couldn't help but smile. The sound was simply music to your ears.

And her laugh wasn't the only thing that was beautiful. She herself was beautiful. Her blonde hair fell in soft curls down her back, framing her round face. She had the most beautiful eyes. They were pale blue, but bright and full of life.

This beautiful little girl was my younger sister. She was ten years old, and dying.

Annie had a brain tumor. The doctors found it a few months ago, but it was too large to operate. So Annie, my little sister, a ten year old, was dying.

But she doesn't know that she's dying. She asks us why we're sad all the time, but all we can do is force a smile.

And her laugh. Her beautiful laugh can't even cheer us up, because we know that soon, we will never hear it again. And soon, this beautiful girl, eyes full of life, will leave this world.

I can't help but feel useless. I'd give anything for her to live. Anything.

------------------------------------------------

"Vanessa?" Annie whispered. My eyes were watery as I looked at her. She was pale, lying in the hospital bed. She looked so small. So pale. So perfect. Her blue eyes full of life.

"Yeah," I whispered back.

"Am I going to be ok?" she asked. I felt a tear slide down my cheek and I wiped it away hastily.

"Yeah, Annie," I said, almost choking on the lie. I hated lying to her. "You're going to be fine."

I knew that she didn't believe me. I wish that I could stop crying for her sake. She didn't deserve to go like this.

There was a knock on the door to the room and the doctor stepped in.

"I'm sorry," he said. "But visiting hours are over."

I nodded my head and stood up.

"Ok," I said. "Can I just have a minute?"

"Yes, of course," The doctor said before stepping out of the room.

I leaned over Annie and tucked some of her hair behind her ear.

"I'll be back in the morning," I said. My vision blurred slightly as I took in her saddened look. I leaned down and kissed her forehead softly. "I love you, Annie."

"I love you too, Vanessa," she said. I squeezed her hand gently before placing a kiss on her small knuckles.

I turned and left. I would have looked back at her, but I was crying now and I knew that now I couldn't stop.

-------------------------------------------------

Annie was gone. She had died during the night, in her sleep. It was hard to believe. I sat on the couch in my living room, expecting her to come out of her room, laughing and being cheerful.

But I knew she wouldn't because she was gone. I let the tears slide down my cheeks, grateful, at least, for the fact that I had been able to tell Annie that I loved her before she died. It was important that she knew that I loved her.

I just wished that I had been able to do more with her. That I had realized that every moment was precious. She had ten years of life, and I wished that I had spent more time with her for those ten years.

---------------------------------------------------

"Annie was...perfect," I said, speaking to the crowd of people that were attending the funeral. My parents were huddled together next to me, my mother weeping softly while my father held her, silent tears trickling down his lined face. "She was beautiful and full of life. She also had the most beautiful laugh that could cheer up anyone. She was always so happy, and it seems unfair that she had her life taken from her so soon. I was with her before she died, and even then her eyes shown brightly, and full of life. I loved her eyes. And I loved her. I'm glad that I was able to tell her that before she left."

I looked back at the small coffin that I was standing in front of. I wasn't crying. I wanted to stay strong for Annie during this moment. I placed a hand on the smooth, cold surface of the coffin.

"I'll miss you, Annie."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, please?
~Sally