Against The World

"Wanted"

Misono looked at the photo displayed on the screen. Then she thought back to that morning. The picture that had been missing from her dresser – it was now on the TV monitor for all to see. She did not understand. She had never killed anybody in her life. Questions flooded her mind. Why was her picture up there? Who stole her picture? How did they do it? Why did Mr. Nakamura accuse her of being the Angel? On what evidence did he base this theory? What would happen next?
She looked at the people around her. They had all backed away from her as if she was a bomb just waiting to explode. More murmurs broke out among to crowd. People glared at her. She looked up at Keji. She was pleased to see that he did not have the cynical expression as the others; he had the same look of disbelief as she did. Keji knew that Misono would never kill anyone, and he knew her better than anyone else did. Both Keji and Misono knew that she had been framed.
“Misono Kurosaki is the Angel of Death. The city of Kyoto hereby wages war on this girl,” Mr. Nakamura said. After that, his voice faded away, for everyone diverted their attention from the screen to Misono.
“Now, listen, people, you all know Misono wouldn’t hurt a fly! Just look at her!”
Keji exclaimed, addressing all those who had been convinced she was the Angel. Oh, they looked at her. They glared blades right through her heart.
“She is the Angel of Death!” someone in the crowd cried.
“He’s her boyfriend; he’s just covering for her!” someone else added.
The people then began to approach the two. They were no longer a gathered people; they were now a mob, fully prepared to lynch the two. The mob goers than began to chant, first starting in a low whisper, but gradually growing to a thunderous roar.
“Kill her!”
Keji bit his lip. His reasoning obviously went unheard. He took tight hold of Misono and began to slowly back away, but the people continued to near them. Misono would have panicked, but she could not do such a thing while in Keji’s arms. But Keji was not as naïve as she was, and he fully saw the reality of the situation: if they did not run soon, they would die. He was hesitant to run, though. There were too many people around, and there was little chance they would get away alive, even if they did run.
But then a gunshot was heard, and it was decided: Keji took Misono’s hand and ran.
“Keji, we can’t run! That’s cowardly!” Misono insisted. She could have wrenched herself free from his grip and stood, but she wanted to be with him. So, instead of resisting him, she tried to persuade him to change his mind about running.
“Are you insane?! Those people want to kill us! We have to leave!” Keji ran down the street, tightly holding onto Misono’s hand and bringing her along. Something was not right with Misono, he thought. It seemed that she had never feared anything in her life. She always insisted on facing the problems she’d face, while Keji always had to rescue her from whatever trouble she had gotten herself involved in.
As they ran, more gunshots were heard. People in the buildings that lined the street began hurling various things ranging from kitchenware to furniture at them from their windows. Everyone outside picked up something, whether it be a broom or a garden hoe, and chased after them, the “Kill her!” chanting slowly growing louder and louder. A Sakura TV Helicopter was following them overhead, catching the scene on film. On the monitors that hung everywhere on the outsides of the buildings, there was the same thing: Misono and Keji, feeling for their lives as the people ran them out of the city.
Keji looked everywhere, but it seemed there was no place to hide. Everyone everywhere he went was after them with the intent of murder, so he would have to keep running. Misono wanted to stop. She wanted to fight off all those people, one by one, to the death. To her, this was about honor. To Keji, this was about survival. He persisted, saying she was out of her mind, and continued to run, dragging her along by her hand.

He made a sharp turn into an alley. It was dark in the alley, for the buildings it ran between negated light from entering it. He ran as fast as he could, with all the strength he had in his body. He panted heavily as he felt his chest tighten. He was growing tired, and he could not run much longer. He looked everywhere for somewhere to take shelter, somewhere to hide from the pursuers. He found nothing. He heard the cries of the mob as they began to flood into the alley. And, finally, he had an idea. It might have not been the most appealing one, but desperate times call for desperate measures, as they say. He lifted a manhole cover and hurried Misono inside. She gripped onto the ladder and began descending down the dark tunnel. Keji followed suit, climbing down into the hole, grasping the bars of the latter, and pulling the manhole cover shut.
“Keji, I – “
“Ssh!”
Keji cut Misono’s idea short.
“Just stay still and be quiet for a moment!”
Misono did as she was told. They maintained the stillness of a statue’s caliber. Misono soon understood why it was that Keji had told her to keep quiet; the people that were after them had stopped just above them.
“Where’d they go?!” One man asked the question that had been on all their minds.
“They went that way!” Another answered, believing he had seen the two run back out into the street. They all took him for his word and left the alley to search for the couple, not knowing that they were right under them.
Even though he was positive everyone had left, and it would be safe to speak again, Keji insisted that they wait for a few moments before they did so. He did not even want to risk the chance of being discovered. He was not about to let Misono be hurt. After those moments were up, he sighed with relief.
“Alright, Misono. Let’s head down.”
Misono nodded before continuing the ladder. Keji distantly wondered why she had not been disgusted: they were in a sewer. But Misono never ceased to surprise him.
They walked down the dark, dank tunnel of the sewer. Mice scurried about them as they walked. There was little light, there, so Keji used the backlight of his cell phone to guide them down the walkways.
“You know, you wouldn’t be down here in this stinky place if it weren’t for me,” Misono stated, guilt just dripping from her lips. She was sincerely sorry.
“Nah, nah, don’t even say that. I don’t mind at all, Misono. I’m just happy that you’re ok,” Keji replied, smiling at the other. Her cheeks turned a faint red, for she knew he was just as sincere.
“But you would just be having another normal day of school if I didn’t cause this mess…”
“You didn’t cause this mess, and for the last time, I don’t mind! We’ll get down to the bottom of this, I promise,” Keji replied, once again not letting her complete her thought. It was not right that she thought she had done something wrong when she was clearly innocent, and Keji would not allow her to blame herself for that which was not her fault.
“Keji?” Misono asked, looking up at him.
“Yeah, Misono?” Their eyes met.
“What if…the whole world was against me? What would you do?”
Keji just smiled and brought his arms around her, pulling her closer as they continued to walk together.
“I guess it’d just be you and me, then: us against the world. Even if the world is your enemy, I will be your ally.”
Misono turned a darker red as she heard those sweet words. They were music, to her. She brought her arms up around Keji’s neck and leant inward. Their lips met in a soft kiss. Misono held tightly onto Keji, and Keji took her in his arms, holding her just as tight.
“Will it always be like this, Keji? Will you always be my ally?” she asked.
He smiled and nodded. “Always.”
Two days went by. Misono and Keji spent that night in the sewer. The next morning, Keji was awoken by the sound of footsteps. He looked up and saw men with flashlights walking down the tunnel and in their direction. She shook Misono awake.
“Questions later, get up now,” he said. She nodded. She looked and had seen the men as well. Keji took her by the hand and led her further down the tunnel.
“Hey…I think I just heard something,” one of the men said as he shone his flashlight where the couple had just been. He knew he heard some noise come from that direction, but he did not see anything that could have made the sound. The other man came and shone his flashlight in the same direction and saw no more than he did.
“I don’t see nothing. ‘Probly was just a rat, or something. Let’s keep moving.”
The first man could have sworn he had heard something, but he figured it was just some sewer-dwelling animal, as the other man had said. He dismissed his doubts and continued with the other down another tunnel.
Meanwhile, Keji and Misono had found another manhole cover and exited the sewer. Judging by the rising sun, the chirping birds, and the lack of people outside, it must have been twilight. There was a peaceful silence, and all was calm. They were relatively safe, for no one was outside to see them, but they still kept a look out for anyone who might come to attack them as they walked together.
In the short time Misono and Keji had spent in hiding, the Angel had committed two more mass murders. The monitors outside were all set to the Sakura TV Broadcasting Channel, and the news was on. They began to refer to the killer as the “Angel” less and less, though, and began calling him “Misono.” The whole city was convinced that she was the Angel, still, and with each of “her” new acts of murder, the people of Kyoto became more and more passionate about tracking and executing her.
But she had no fear. She had Keji, by her side, and she always would.
“We cannot stay in the city, much longer. The police are even searching the sewers. There won’t be anywhere to hide, soon, and we’ve got to leave before it’s too late,” Keji said in a somber tone. It was like rainclouds on a perfect day.
“But, Keji-Kun…where will we go?” she asked, looking up at the other, that same bewildered look in her eyes.
“I’m not really sure. All I know is that we have to leave.”
Misono knew Keji believed otherwise, but she could not help but feel this was all her fault. She did not want Keji to experience this sort of hardship, and she inwardly felt ashamed for causing him such trouble.
“We could go to into the forest! I don’t think anyone will look there,” Misono finally said, breaking the silence.
“Alright, but…it’s the forest. It’s not exactly a five-star hotel. Are you sure?” Keji turned to the other.
“Of course! As long as I’m with you, I’ll be just fine~,” she replied, a bright smile spreading across her lips. She gave Keji a soft peck on the cheek, and he smiled, as well. Keji sometimes worried about Misono’s wellbeing: she was simply too naïve. No matter what the circumstances, it seemed she was never sad, upset, or afraid as long as she was in his company. But he did not complain. He liked the idea of having someone that relied on him.
By the time the sun had fully risen, and the city of Kyoto had awoken, the two had made it to the aforementioned forest. They were now climbing the side of Mt. Nyoigadake. Woodland covered most of its mass, and plants and trees flourished. Small animals had made this forest their home.
“Alright…I think we’ll be safe, here,” Keji said. “The trees aren’t far apart, so if it rains, the branches overhead will keep us dry. Plus, there are lots of fruits and berries, around here, so we’ll even have stuff to eat, for a while.”
Misono nodded. She was not really to what he was saying; it was more like he was just listening to his voice. She loved the way it sounded, the way his words flowed and fit together almost musically. She held onto his arm as he led her through the woods.
“Keji?” Misono asked.
“Yeah?” he answered.
“Isn’t this romantic?”
One of his brows cocked upward. They were exiled into the Nyoigidake forests because everyone in Kyoto was trying to kill them. Not really.
“Um…come again?” He gave her the benefit of a doubt and figured he had heard wrong.
“I said ‘Isn’t this romantic?’”
“…I don’t really understand.”
“We’re two runaway lovers! It’s like we’re eloping!” Misono smiled as he tightened her grip on Keji, cuddling up to his side.
“Not…really. We’re running away from home because we are wanted. It’s more like we’re fugitives, if you ask me,” he looked at the other in disbelief. Could she hear what she hear herself speaking? He contemplated having her institutionalized once this mess was sorted out.
“Keji, you have to be more positive! We’re in the middle of the woods; no one’s gonna find us, here!”
Speak of the devil.
“You…” a deep, ominous voice said. The two looked up and saw its source. It was a tall, husky man with enormous muscles. His face was gaunt, and he was filthy, presumably from overexposure to the elements. He carried a large bag on his back, and he wore cargo-style clothing, with many pockets to hide things in.
“You’re that girl on the news…” he continued as he drew closer. His lips twisted upward into a wicked smile.
“The Angel…”
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was intitally meant to be longer, but I had to cut it, here. It's a work in progress.