A Fairy's Tale

Chapter Ten: Believing

Mary burst through the doors of her uncle’s bedroom. Her Uncle Alan laid in bed, covered in blankets. He coughed when Mary entered the room. The excited young girl rushed to her uncle’s side.

“Uncle Alan, you were right all along! I’m sorry to ever have doubted you,” Mary said, rubbing her uncle’s shoulder.

He turned to face his niece, and asked, “Right about what, Mary?”

“The fairies! Julia and I saw one by Bowerman’s Brook. It flew right by us, but we saw it nonetheless. It was so beautiful, just like the one in your drawing.”

Uncle Alan smiled, rose from his bed, put on his hat, coat, and slippers, and grabbed his cane to help him stand upright. He motioned for Mary to follow him, and she obediently tagged along. Her uncle, still weak from his cold, was determined to cross over the wooden bridge that led to the brook, no matter how slippery and wet Mary thought it was. Once over the bridge, Uncle Alan put an arm around his niece as he stood before Bowerman’s Brook.

He tapped his cane on the ground twice, and in a moment’s notice, a fairy appeared. She slowly descended out of the air and gracefully landed onto the top of Uncle Alan’s cane. Uncle Alan smiled, and held the cane so that the fairy was at his eye level.

“It’s nice to see you, my little friend,” he murmured, “It has been far too long.”

The little fairy lifted the silky ruffles of her flower petal dress and elegantly curtsied. When she slightly lowered her head, Mary noticed she wore an elegant crown woven of twigs with the small precious stone in its center. It was the fairy queen herself.

Uncle Alan pointed the cane towards Mary, who held out her finger for the fairy to stand on. The fairy fluttered off of the cane’s tip and onto Mary’s outstretched index finger.

“Hello,” Mary whispered.

The fairy smiled, and flew around Mary, dropping fairy dust into her hair to form a magical mound that resembled a tiara. Mary laughed, and curtsied back towards the fairy queen who had done so beforehand. The fairy queen then let out a tiny whistle, and before Mary knew it, there were more fairies than she could count, floating about in the air before her. It was a most glorious sight that she would have only been able to see in her dreams. She would treasure it in her heart forever.

“Uncle Alan?” Mary called.

“Yes?” Uncle Alan asked.

“I was foolish not to believe.”

~The End.~
♠ ♠ ♠
_________________________________________________

Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of action based on above, is strictly prohibited.

© 2009 imagine27

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for motivating me to place this piece of work on this site. I appreciate all of the support so much and can't wait to read all of the comments you guys have since it's finally been completed! :) Please let me know what you thought :)
~imagine27 <3