A Fairy's Tale

Chapter Two: Childish Nonsense

Poor young Mary fell on top of her bed, exhausted. She had finally finished tidying up her uncle’s filthy household and putting away all of her belongings. Now she lay, sound asleep in bed, her head resting on the soft pillow. Uncle Alan peeked into the doorway of his niece’s bedroom, and shook his head.

The poor girl had worked herself to the bone, cleaning every nook and cranny of the poorly kept household. Uncle Alan then walked into Mary’s bedroom and placed a blanket over her so that she would stay warm throughout the night. With his hand, he gently smoothed Mary’s golden-brown bangs to the side, kneeled down by her bedside, and whispered into her ear, “Dearest Mary Anna, I am going to share a secret with you, but you must promise not to tell.”

Mary snuggled underneath her covers a bit, yet her eyes remained shut.

Uncle Alan continued, “Behind this very house lies Bowerman’s Brook. Now, this is not just any brook. It is one of the few brooks that exists today that is home to extraordinary creatures. They dance among the daffodils and fly about the treetops, befriending woodland animals and spreading joy and happiness to the few children of this world that still believe in them. They are the fairies, and their world is out there just waiting to be discovered.”

Mary turned over, with her eyes half open, yawned, and murmured, “Childish nonsense.”

Uncle Alan shook his head once more, and sighed. “You’re awfully young to be growing up now, aren’t you?”

Mary just sleepily turned away, and fell back into a deep sleep. Uncle Alan stood up from his place by Mary’s bed, and blew out the flickering candle on the night table.
♠ ♠ ♠
_________________________________________________

Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of action based on above, is strictly prohibited.

© 2009 imagine27

I hope you enjoyed this short, yet very important chapter in the story. Again, I'd love to hear from you all, so please feel free to leave a comment or two about what you thought so far about this piece. Thank you so much for all of the support :) ~imagine27